Access to pan and rotate

Forums: Access to pan and rotate
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Access to pan and rotate

Postby Burkhard » Mon May 31, 2010 2:01 pm

Burkhard Mon May 31, 2010 2:01 pm
Is it possible within a plugin to change the pan, rotate and zoom function like that to Sketchup?
It would be a lot easier ( for every software ) to handle that like the main app.
This is really usefull for a seamless workflow.

I know it is part of the host app but if the sdk give the access to that function, is there a workaround?
MacPro Quad * 8Gig RAM * GTX 285 Mac Edition ( delete two GT120 to make it run with octane! ) * Snow Leopard 10.6
Burkhard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Access to pan and rotate

Postby radiance » Mon May 31, 2010 3:04 pm

radiance Mon May 31, 2010 3:04 pm
what do you mean ? i don't fully understand your question.
the plugins can pass the camera information so the view / camera position is exported to octane.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby lenreed » Mon May 31, 2010 4:56 pm

lenreed Mon May 31, 2010 4:56 pm
i,ll try to answer that .
I think that Burkhard requested a improvement in scene movement in Octane studio itself.
Although Octane is a software as easy and fun to use as Sketchup it lacks the simplicity in scene movement.
I too submit to the request that scene movement in Octane studio should be made Sketchup like.
core2duo 8400 CPU,4GB ram,1GB gtx 280 video,win xp 32 bit
lenreed
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm

radiance Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm
lenreed wrote:i,ll try to answer that .
I think that Burkhard requested a improvement in scene movement in Octane studio itself.
Although Octane is a software as easy and fun to use as Sketchup it lacks the simplicity in scene movement.
I too submit to the request that scene movement in Octane studio should be made Sketchup like.

can you describe the differences ? i don't have any experience with sketchup myself...

Radiance
radiance

Postby Proupin » Mon May 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Proupin Mon May 31, 2010 5:01 pm

I don't agree... for you sketch-up is easy because you're used to it. For me, 3dsMax is best in terms of viewport navigation... and what I really think Bukhard is asking is a way to customize the movement without being exclusive... I mean the ability to choose
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ttaberna » Mon May 31, 2010 8:09 pm

ttaberna Mon May 31, 2010 8:09 pm
Proupin wrote:

I don't agree... for you sketch-up is easy because you're used to it. For me, 3dsMax is best in terms of viewport navigation... and what I really think Bukhard is asking is a way to customize the movement without being exclusive... I mean the ability to choose

+1 :D
I would like to customize it too...
I'm going mad!!! 3dsmax has one autocad has another octane another different way of moving in the scene...customization of the ui would be lovely at some point, but not as a priority
Rampage IV Extreme+i7 3920k+2x GTX580 3GB+2x GTX470
ttaberna
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lenreed » Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 pm

lenreed Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 pm
well, I think we all here agree we do not get along with Octane scene movement
I am trying for a while now and it is still frustrating.The only thing that bugs me right now about Octane.
I am right now struggling to get a good view in my scene (the fact that I do not have a fast gpu isn"t helping).
All the controls are too abrupt.And you never know where orbiting will get you
To answer you ttaberna I used MAX as well for a short while, formz too,truespace,lightwave,archicad,artlantis,maxwell...etc and I still think SU moves more intuitive and productive than any of them
Max and sketchup scene movement are very similar but sketchup is, I think better, more simple, you should try it.
To answer Radiance - push the scroll button and you are in orbit mode (witch is different from octane - and this is inportant - it orbits the scene from the center of the screen always,
the radius of the orbit being the distance betwin the camera and the objects in the center.) To pan the scene simply press shift while holding scroll . Alt while scroll pressed tilts the camera.And of course rotating scroll zooms in and out at a good pace.And thats all you need. You should try it and judge for yourself. If you don't immediately love it then it is no good. It,s easier and conventionally used in other programs that you use only one button for navigating scene and use modifiers (shift,alt,ctrl) instead of pressing left button - releasing - pressing the other...etc
lenreed
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lenreed » Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 pm

lenreed Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 pm
I forgot.
I think everyone customizing isn"t the answer.
Each software has its own workflow.
The response latency due to rendering while trying to move is a particularity and should be taken into consideration.
We just need a good scheme of movement that will make us all feel at home and not fighting with the controls
lenreed
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 am

radiance Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 am
Hi,

on very slow systems, the navigation can get quite difficult, we know, we're finetuning in for 2.3.
do use the subsampling in those cases, that's what it's for (the 3 checkerboard icons above the render viewport)

Radiance
radiance

Postby ttaberna » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 am

ttaberna Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 am
lenreed wrote:I forgot.
I think everyone customizing isn"t the answer.
Each software has its own workflow.
The response latency due to rendering while trying to move is a particularity and should be taken into consideration.
We just need a good scheme of movement that will make us all feel at home and not fighting with the controls

Well, I didn't mean to customize the whole workflo but only som stuff, like fast keys and navigation and maybe colorscheme woulod be nice..
But I think some workflow customization could be good for those people (not me at all) that may implemant octane in a large studio workflow and maybe it would be good for them some kind of custom ui...
Rampage IV Extreme+i7 3920k+2x GTX580 3GB+2x GTX470
ttaberna
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to SketchUp