Modo Plugin Roadmap

Forums: Modo Plugin Roadmap
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Modo Plugin Roadmap

Postby riggles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:33 pm

riggles Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:33 pm
face_off wrote:
It has to be baked down?
Octane 2.0's hair implementation is a vertex strand renderer. So any lines, arcs, curves, etc can be rendered. Modo's fur shaders needs to be baked to vertex strands (Cylinders) in order to be rendered.

EDIT: More than happy to enhance the plugin to accept hair strand data from the Modo Fur Shader if the Modo API is enhanced to provide this data.

Paul

I keep forgetting, since I'm not a plugin developer, that an application's feature is only as accessible as their API allows it to be. I'll put in a feature request to MODO.
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 am

face_off Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 am
Displacement mapping sample below. It needs a 16 bit displacement map (as used in this sample) to get a nice smooth effect.
Attachments
modo displacement mapping.png
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:22 am

face_off Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:22 am
Random Color Texture done - pls see below.

Paul
Attachments
modo random color texture.png
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby portnicki » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 am

portnicki Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 am
face_off wrote:Displacement mapping sample below. It needs a 16 bit displacement map (as used in this sample) to get a nice smooth effect.

whoa, the displacement looks sweet!
i7 2600k + nVidia TITAN black
https://www.behance.net/Auror
portnicki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu May 08, 2014 7:13 am

face_off Thu May 08, 2014 7:13 am
Hi

A quick update.....

The Octane 2.0 version of the plugin is virtually complete - with only a couple of issues to resolve.

The Octane 1.5 version of the plugin appears at this stage to be quite robust (awaiting Modo801 SP1 to resolve the "Scene Close" crash).

Unless people think strongly otherwise, I believe the 1.5 version of the plugin is ready to come out of beta (date to be determined). If you think there are functions missing or bugs that have not been addressed, pls let me know. As per the msg at the top of this thread, there are still a lot of features to add to the plugin - but this can be done on the full (non-beta) version.

And a question for people....for Viewport navigation, you will click a button and then drag the mouse in the Octane Viewport to move the Octane camera (using controls similar to the Modo Preview window navigation controls). Do you want
a) The Modo camera continually tracks the Octane camera in this mode, or
b) The Modo camera does not track the Octane camera in this mode, or
c) The Modo camera does not track the Octane camera in this mode, but when you exit Viewport Navigation the Modo camera is set to the final position of the Octane camera.

I am unsure if Viewport Navigation will be able to be implemented no OS X.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MagnusL3D » Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

MagnusL3D Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm
I just have to say, amazing work and that it looks so damn sexy ! cant wait to try out 2.0 !
MagnusL3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Thu May 08, 2014 1:29 pm

funk Thu May 08, 2014 1:29 pm
face_off wrote:And a question for people....for Viewport navigation, you will click a button and then drag the mouse in the Octane Viewport to move the Octane camera (using controls similar to the Modo Preview window navigation controls). Do you want
a) The Modo camera continually tracks the Octane camera in this mode, or
b) The Modo camera does not track the Octane camera in this mode, or
c) The Modo camera does not track the Octane camera in this mode, but when you exit Viewport Navigation the Modo camera is set to the final position of the Octane camera.

Paul

I would like the modo camera to track the octane camera. I don't mind if it uses some kind of delayed approach (eg only update the modo camera when you mouse up)
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Modo Plugin Roadmap

Postby riggles » Thu May 08, 2014 1:49 pm

riggles Thu May 08, 2014 1:49 pm
I, too, would like the MODO camera to track the Octane camera. I don't recall though, what is the hangup with viewport navigation in OSX? The native MODO preview has it.
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 pm

face_off Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 pm
I, too, would like the MODO camera to track the Octane camera. I don't recall though, what is the hangup with viewport navigation in OSX? The native MODO preview has it.
On OS X, the Viewport Navigation will be happening on a Cocoa window, which is not a child window of Modo, so I am expecting some challenges.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Modo Plugin Roadmap

Postby riggles » Thu May 08, 2014 5:13 pm

riggles Thu May 08, 2014 5:13 pm
face_off wrote:
On OS X, the Viewport Navigation will be happening on a Cocoa window, which is not a child window of Modo, so I am expecting some challenges.

Paul

Gotcha. Any word from The Foundry on adding the functionality to MODOs API so that Octane Preview could run in a native card/form viewport?
riggles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo