NEW: 2014 NAB Show: OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™, details forthcoming features for added realism and sophisticated editing

Forums: NEW: 2014 NAB Show: OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™, details forthcoming features for added realism and sophisticated editing
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

NEW: 2014 NAB Show:OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™

Postby OTOY » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:01 pm

OTOY Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:01 pm

2014 NAB Show: OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™,
details forthcoming features for added realism and sophisticated
editing

LAS VEGAS, Nev. – April 7, 2014 – At the annual NAB Show this week, OTOY Inc. announced new
advances in development for its popular OctaneRender™ software that will enable sophisticated
editing of computer-generated scenes. Originally previewed at the NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference
in March, the new features being made public now are focused on achieving increased
realism in renders, and allowing for complex manipulation of scene elements. The new features
include:

• Deformable object motion blur – Combining support for deformable objects and motion blur, this
    feature will allow for realistic simulation of specific parts of objects in motion.
  • Render pass output for lighting layers – Enabling greater fine-tuning of lighting settings
    following rendering, this feature will produce images for each render pass that constitute an
    image such as reflections, refractions, normal, direct and indirect lighting, among others.

Render-Layers.jpg

• Deep compositing pipeline – Through the use of multi-layer EXR files, this feature will allow for
    the compositing of ‘deep images’ that contain information about the coverage and depth of each
    pixel. Each layer in the EXR file stores a render pass which can then be composited in
    post-production.
  • Out-of-core rendering – Scenes that don’t fit into graphics memory will be supported through out
    of core rendering, storing currently unused source data in host memory while swapping it into
    graphics memory when required.
  • User-defined GPU procedurals – The ability to create complex textures and shaders using Lua
    code either to pre-calculate them as images or to execute on the fly while rendering.

These features will be included in a forthcoming version of OctaneRender™ sometime after version 2.0.

About OTOY Inc.

OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content
creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY’s Academy
Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers,
architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new
economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit
http://www.otoy.com.

Additional Resources:

• For more on the new features anticipated in OctaneRender™ 2.0 go here.
  • Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Download the OTOY logo here.
  • Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.

OTOY
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: NEW: 2014 NAB Show: OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™,details forthcoming features for added realism and sophisticated

Postby renegator » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 am

renegator Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 am
Wow!! Lots of cool announcements lately, save something for Siggraph too 8-)

Having render passes available in Octane is fantastic, but how does it affect the GPU memory? Do you render all the buffers sequentially or simultaneously? In case of the latter, I imagine you can't do more than 2-3 passes per GPU at once.

Also, what I am personally waiting for before I make the plunge is the cloud rendering service (especially when passes are available). What's the status on that?
renegator

Thanks & Stuff

Postby prehabitat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:56 am

prehabitat Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:56 am
Amazing - must be an SUPER exciting time for the people on the Octane Team - a lot of work starting to crystallise.

Great work, much appreciated.
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: 2014 NAB Show: OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™,details forthcoming features for added realism and sophisticated

Postby gordonrobb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:57 am

gordonrobb Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:57 am
This looks great. Can I ask if 'sometime after version 2.0' means in version 3+ or does it mean as part of the version 2 cycle?
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:28 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:28 am
gordonrobb wrote:This looks great. Can I ask if 'sometime after version 2.0' means in version 3+ or does it mean as part of the version 2 cycle?

It's gonna be version 2.x, so it can be 2.5 or something like that. ;)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tetrochuan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 am

tetrochuan Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 am
this sounds sooo goooood =)
win7 ultimate 64bit | intel i7-3930k @ 42x100 | asus p9x79 pro | 32 gb ddr3-1600 | 3x780ti @ 1ghz | 2x asus proart pa246 24" | main hdd ocz vertex 4 | some mice keyboard and a wacom intuos4
tetrochuan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:58 pm

gordonrobb Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:58 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
gordonrobb wrote:This looks great. Can I ask if 'sometime after version 2.0' means in version 3+ or does it mean as part of the version 2 cycle?

It's gonna be version 2.x, so it can be 2.5 or something like that. ;)

Have you had that confirmed by OTOY, or are you surmising it?
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Goldorak Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 pm
It is confirmed as part of our GTC and NAB announcements - 2.x means any 2.0 update before 3.0.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gordonrobb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm

gordonrobb Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm
Cheers, all I saw was this line...

These features will be included in a forthcoming version of OctaneRender™ sometime after version 2.0.
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby CinemaGFX » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:06 am

CinemaGFX Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:06 am
Will current octane render owners get the update to 2.0 for free?
CinemaGFX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to News & Announcements