OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.50

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.50
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.50

Postby abstrax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 am

abstrax Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 am
Hi all,

We are happy to announce the release of OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.50. A big THANK YOU to all who gave feedback during the 1.50 development cycle.

EDIT: Superseded by version 1.51.

Main changes since version 1.20

Rendering

• Added support for object properties to control the direct/indirect visibility of objects via object layer map nodes.
  • Added general support for various texture projections: UV, spherical, cylindrical, linear, perspective, box mapping.
  • Added ability to apply an additional transformation in the mapped UVW space.
  • Added ability to apply the texture projection in local object (/instance) space.
  • Added border modes to image texture nodes to control the behavior of image textures outside the standard UV range [0 .. 1].
  • Added animation support.
  • Added time slider, which provides control over the current time, frame rate and the shutter interval time.
  • Improved wire frame rendering of the info channel kernel.
  • Added new options to the info channel kernel, to disable distributed ray tracing (DOF, camera motion blur, pixel filtering), to highlight back faces in wire frame mode and to enable bump/normal mapping.
  • Added the possibility to set the value of greyscale color texture nodes to values > 1, which can be helpful to set higher bump strengths than previously possible.
  • Increased the maximum render resolution to 32K x 32K pixels.
  • Replaced daylight/turntable animation buttons by Lua scripts.
  • Added Lua script to render animations.
  • Added the ability to enable asynchronous HDR tone-mapping via the API, reducing overhead if the plugins want to render sub-frame motion blur.

Lua Scripting

• Integrated LuaJIT into Octane and developed an API to access the node system, parts of the render framework and to script user interfaces.
  • Provided Lua tutorials in the Lua scripting forum: viewforum.php?f=73
  • Added a Lua script menu listing all scripts in a directory specified in the application preferences.
  • Added a Lua script editor.
  • Added ability to launch a script during the startup of Octane and to run Octane without an UI.

Data Management / Node System

• From the ground up rewritten node system.
  • Added versioning to nodes and node graphs, allowing proper conversion when projects are moved between different versions.
  • Introduced a new .OCS file format to store more information in a more compact way and to support versioning (still human readable).
  • Added ability to animate node data.
  • Added node/pin/graph descriptions, which are used by Lua, the API and the Standalone user interface.
  • Introduced generic node graphs, replacing specialized macro nodes.
  • Introduced generic linker nodes which provide an interface of the content of a node graph to the "outside world".
  • Added ability to group/ungroup items in a node graph.
  • Replaced the .OCM file format which was specially used for macro nodes by a generic package file format .ORBX, which packs all files used by a project with the project file itself into one file.
  • Added support to load animated Alembic files.
  • Added support to export animated Alembic files via the plugin API.
  • Updated large parts of the API to expose the new node system functionality to the plugins and Lua, allowing the plugins to export scenes into .OCS/.ORBX files so that they can be loaded in the Standalone, too. This also requires a lot of work from the plugin developers which is why this area will hopefully continue to improve over time.
  • Added ability to specify image data directly as value via the API, removing the need to always go via image files.
  • Added 2D transform and transform value nodes.
  • Added possibility to specify rotation order in transformation nodes with 3D rotation.
  • Added caching of downloaded LiveDB material which speeds up access to LiveDB materials that are used often.

Other

• Improved UI by having proper pin and node names and by reordering pins to a more logical structure.
  • Improved numeric edit fields allowing to control its value by holding the mouse button down and sliding up/down.
  • Added the ability to have a larger value range than the slider range.
  • Switched to an online manual.
  • Added buttons to automatically "unfold" of a node graph to the node graph editor toolbar. It's not perfect, but sometimes quite useful.

Changes since version 1.37

For those people who have been following the release candidates, here is the list of the fixes since 1.37:

• Fixed incorrect Alembic camera import issues (see viewtopic.php?p=175194#p175194 and viewtopic.php?p=175309#p175309)
  • Fixed a crash during Alembic import.
  • Removed upper limit of the camera scale pin.
  • Linker nodes created during grouping of nodes, will be created in the horizontal order of the source pins they are connected to (viewtopic.php?p=175189#p175189).
  • Fixed broken Lua shortcuts.
  • Added unfold buttons to node graph editor.
  • Changed animation scripts to use the shutter interval display mode of the time slider.
  • The slider step value of the start/end times in the animation script UI are now updated according to the frame rate.
  • Fixed incorrect coloring of numeric edit fields if you enter an out-of-slider-range value per keyboard.
  • Fixed a crash bug happening at certain resolutions while rendering animations via the Lua scripts.

GPU Limitations

• We dropped the support of GPUs with compute capability < 2.0, i.e. currently only Fermi and Kepler GPUs are supported.
  • Since we have some issues building Octane with the current CUDA toolkit 6.0 RC, we cannot support Maxwell GPUs (GTX 750, 750Ti) yet. We plan to provide an update with Maxwell support as soon as those issues are resolved.

Download

Windows
- 64-bit installer
- 32-bit installer

MacOS X
- 32-bit and 64-bit installer

Linux
- 64-bit ZIP archive

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 1.50 (current)

Postby abstrax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:39 am

abstrax Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:39 am
To all people who have downloaded version 1.50 before we announced it: When you run the Standalone and open the log window and the version number says 1500000, please download again. Beside some minor issues, we fixed one potential crash bug that was reported this night and may occur if you render animations via the animation render scripts.

The latest version that is now on the web server has the version 1500001 (which you can check in the log window).
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 am

PolderAnimation Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 am
Nice! Thanks guy's, animation support is awesome!
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby steveps3 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:09 am

steveps3 Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:09 am
We made it :)
(HW) Intel i7 2600k, 16GB DDR3, MSI 560GTX ti (2GB) x 3
(SW) Octane (1.50) Blender (2.70) (exporter 2.02)
(OS) Windows 7(64)
steveps3
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Interfaces » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 am

Interfaces Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:29 am
good job, but we need a video demonstration of each new since version 1.20.

it is more explanatory than text

You'll spend less time on the forum.

thank you
Interfaces
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 am

gordonrobb Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 am
That's great thanks.

Can I ask what the process is next. I have pretty much been using the programme (via the LW plugin) and getting involved here and there, but never really reported bugs I have found (other then discussing on forum), or got involved formally with feature requests.

Can you outline for me what I should do to be more involved in that. Even if it is to tell me where I should be asking this questions specifically?

thanks.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm

ROUBAL Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm
Thank you very much for this release. I have to go out for some hours. I will test it as soon as I'll be back !
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby datmixx » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 pm

datmixx Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 pm
Cool! Thank's for your hard work!!
datmixx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:57 pm

ROUBAL Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:57 pm
Hi, I have done my first tests with 1.50 : No more jitter on the camera on imported alembic animations... but apparently, no more camera motion blur as well !

I will test again with a faster traveling, but I am a bit worried :

Have you solved the jitter problem by disabling the camera motion blur feature ? :|
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm

abstrax Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm
ROUBAL wrote:Hi, I have done my first tests with 1.50 : No more jitter on the camera on imported alembic animations... but apparently, no more camera motion blur as well !

I will test again with a faster traveling, but I am a bit worried :

Have you solved the jitter problem by disabling the camera motion blur feature ? :|

No. Here it seems to work:
bouncing_ball.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)