NEW: OTOY’s Brigade Engine to launch on Amazon EC2, bringing photorealistic next-generation cloud gaming to all

Forums: NEW: OTOY’s Brigade Engine to launch on Amazon EC2, bringing photorealistic next-generation cloud gaming to all
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

NEW: OTOY’s Brigade Engine to launch on Amazon EC2, bringing photorealistic next-generation cloud gaming to all

Postby abreukers » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:37 pm

abreukers Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:37 pm

OTOY’s Brigade Engine to launch on Amazon EC2, bringing
photorealistic next-generation cloud gaming to all

Expanded developer program, integration with OctaneRender™, more flexible art pipeline across 15 top modeling programs, and new Amazon EC2 instances on the way in 2014

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – March 13, 2014 – Ahead of next week’s 2014 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, cloud graphics pioneer, OTOY Inc., today announced that game developers worldwide will be able to leverage Brigade, its path tracing and rendering technology for photorealistic next-generation games, through Amazon EC2 in the second half of the year. OTOY is concurrently launching a seamless physically-based art pipeline for Brigade, shared with OTOY’s OctaneRender™ software and supported across all major 3D modeling packages.

• Expanding the Brigade developer program – Through Brigade, OTOY is now helping leading game developers explore the potential of cloud computing for the delivery of next-generation games. Brigade is a powerful graphics API that can easily replace Microsoft DirectX® or OpenGL® graphics within popular game engines such as Epic Games’ Unreal Engine or Unity, serving as a backend for superior graphics without disrupting the game logic. Harnessing the power of the cloud, Brigade’s sophisticated technology enables real-time ray tracing and path tracing of game environments, simulating light as it appears in the real world to deliver in-game interactive graphics that are on par with the best movie effects of today. Frames that traditionally have taken minutes or longer to render now do so in fractions of a second, allowing for a fluid game experience streamed to consumers’ homes without the need for expensive hardware.

• Next generation final render art pipeline for Brigade, powered by OctaneRender™, supported across all major 3D modeling tools – OctaneRender™, OTOY’s acclaimed rendering software, and Brigade now share the same code base, allowing extraordinarily complex 3D scenes, materials, lighting and objects rendered in OctaneRender™ to be effortlessly loaded into Brigade for gaming and other interactive applications. Similarly, Brigade is now compatible with 15 of the top modeling programs through OctaneRender™ plugins. The end result is a pain-free art pipeline that lets developers easily transition detailed game assets from the program of their choosing to Brigade.

• Developing via Brigade on Amazon EC2 – Delivering physically accurate photorealistic games demands a compute-intensive environment that’s affordable, scalable, and up to the task. In the second half of 2014, OTOY will make Brigade Amazon Machine Instances (AMIs) available via Amazon EC2 to facilitate testing and development of next-generation games.

“We’re quickly approaching a time where rasterization-based gaming APIs won’t be able to keep pace with the realism gamers demand,” said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. “As media and entertainment companies look to leverage existing assets across movie, television, and game mediums, and as we face an ever more connected future, the top game studios know that the cloud is the logical solution. We have the distinct pleasure of working with several premiere developers using Brigade to explore jaw-dropping next-generation games, and with today’s announcement we look forward to getting Brigade into even more developers’ hands in the near future.”

For more information on Brigade visit https://home.otoy.com/render/brigade/. For developers interested in exploring Brigade, contact OTOY at [email protected].

About OTOY Inc.

OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY’s Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit http://www.otoy.com.

Additional Resources:

• Arrange a meeting about OTOY’s technologies including Brigade at the Game Developers Conference, March 19th to 21st at the Moscone Center in San Francisco by contacting us here.
  • For a demo of Brigade, visit the OTOY booth #512 at the GPU Technology Conference, March 24th to 27th at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, or arrange a meeting by contacting us here.
  • Check out OTOY’s panels at the GPU Technology Conference here.
  • Read more about OTOY’s advisory board here.
  • Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Download the OTOY logo here.
  • Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.

01_OTOY_Brigade3_Downtown1.jpg

02_OTOY_Brigade3_Downtown2.jpg

03_OTOY_Brigade3_Downtown3.jpg

04_OTOY_Brigade3_Downtown4.jpg

05_OTOY_Brigade3_Downtown5.png

06_OTOY_Brigade3_Downtown6.jpg

07_OTOY_Brigade3_Car1.jpg

08_OTOY_Brigade3_Car2.jpg

09_OTOY_Brigade3_Car3.jpg

10_OTOY_Brigade3_Sunset.jpg

11_OTOY_Brigade3_City.jpg

12_OTOY_Brigade3_City2.jpg

13_OTOY_Brigade3_City3.jpg

14_OTOY_Brigade3_Room.jpg

15_OTOY_Brigade3_Room2.jpg

16_OTOY_Brigade3_Room3.jpg

17_OTOY_Brigade3_Space1.jpg

18_OTOY_Brigade3_Space2.jpg

19_OTOY_Brigade3_ATV.jpg
i72630QM @ 2.00GHz | 6GB RAM | 2GB GeForce GT 540M | Win7 64bit
abreukers
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: NEW: OTOY’s Brigade Engine to launch on Amazon EC2, bringing photorealistic next-generation cloud gaming to all

Postby tailorstore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:29 am

tailorstore Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:29 am
Stumbled over the brigade3D site last week and got utterly perplexed when noticing that Otoy was behind it all. Altho that did explain why it looked so damn pretty. Awesome news, guys! :)
tailorstore
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: OTOY’s Brigade Engine to launch on Amazon EC2, bringing photorealistic next-generation cloud gaming to all

Postby Goldorak » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 am

Goldorak Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 am
This is our first official announcement regarding how and when Brigade is coming to market

We work very closely with Amazon on the launch of new services and AMIs in the AWS marketplace, and this will be one of them.

The use case for artists who want a simple cloud walkthrough powered by Brigade (which would play back in any browser as a live stream from EC2) is as follows:

Octane 1.5 or later (SA or plug-ins) now import/export a node or entire scene as .ORBX packages. The .ORBX package can be sent to cloud to render a final frame using many GPUs for low cost (in beta, but rolling out shortly post 1.5).

But now you can use that same ORBX package to provide live walkthroughs (even game levels) form the cloud using Brigade.

The Brigade Amazon VM will load this .ORBX package into an boot strapped instance of the Brigade 3 engine on EC2, where there will be a simple HTML GUI to tweak setting and enable interactivity presets ( lua scripts will work in Brigade as in Octane 1.5+ - exposing all parts of the API, etc.)

The Brigade and Octane teams are working closely together (and have been for some time). Several key Octane materials have been exactly ported over to Brigade 3, and novel features coming out of Brigade development are similarly been being applied in Octane.

One key difference between Octane and Brigade - you can't yet edit the nodes for the materials in Brigade (and mix materials may need to be flattened). Materials are essentially 'frozen' in Brigade to get the best real time speed possible, but that is not a huge issue; the intent of Brigade is for playback and walkthroughs, not live material editing, where a live Octane viewport is ideal.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prehabitat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:44 am

prehabitat Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:44 am
To the Otoy teams; brilliant!

We've certainly been aware of hardware limitations, costs & ebbs & flows for a while in architecture, and been pushed cloud resources as a solution long enough that any of us with a little gaming and computer hardware knowledge should have seen this coming (nvidia game stream anyone?). I know when i first read the early early brigade blog the whole concept crystallised for me almost instantly.

One thing i didn't see coming, (keep in mind I'm from an architecture background; although I have some 20/20 hindsight now): it's mentioned above that there will be opportunity for entertainment creators to capitalise on existing assets. So, for example, the work (assets) & cost of a multi million holywood production can be reused in the gaming titles down the track; scenes, characters, all authored, produced; but then delivered via a common medium (octane). Octane Production render for film, then same assets go off to te game logic guys who write the path/rule/task/physics/whatever database to create a logical game world for brigade.

Brilliant.
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Elvissuperstar007 Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 pm
Excellent! I already want to make games
Thank you very much for your full support octane
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby adrencg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:44 pm

adrencg Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:44 pm
I'm trying to understand something...is this ONLY game related? How does this relate to using Octane in the cloud, or is it the same thing? I see the word game being thrown around a lot, but what about regular Octane users.
Ryzen 5950x
128GB Ram
RTX 3070 x 3
adrencg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:14 am

prehabitat Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:14 am
adrencg wrote:I'm trying to understand something...is this ONLY game related? How does this relate to using Octane in the cloud, or is it the same thing? I see the word game being thrown around a lot, but what about regular Octane users.

From my understanding any 3D scene virtually created or recreated: Film, Product visualisation, animations, architectural visualisations, characters: for either games or film, film sets, game worlds, etc etc. anything you create or recreate in 3D and value its realism; will benefit from the rendering engine which handles light well; the key to making all of the above created/imagined realities believable.

The game one is of interest to me because for a VERY long time games have worked with pre-baked _Rasters_, applied to planes with some geometry/clash handling(ie. not moving through walls) & physics (ie gravity etc). So live light-handling will revolutionise the quality achievable in any interactive created/imagined medium. The cost of this technology; and the reason we're seeing it now and not in the past is hardware: its not realistic for people to have 8x titan black's to play a new game: but with newer infrastructure (high speed internet) you can centralise the hardware resources, and provide (relatively) thin clients (ie current level 'smart tv', etc) and 'stream' the game/interface/choose your own adventure film/whatever to wherever its needed.

I can see myself using the cloud implementation to allow end users to experience & comment of my designs before we finalise the design. End users who's opinions are sometimes (on public work) as important as the decision makers' themselves (ie students, faculty, hospital staff, prospective buyers etc).
Other than the above, gaming & entertainment is not relevant to anything I do in architecture (apart from fostering imagination perhaps), and possible irrelevant to your work; but we live in a world driven by money: any entity trying to make a profit will not just do things 'just to see what happens' or even 'just to make a little bit of money' when there is an opportunity to make more money.
But I think I/we will benefit from the MASSIVE world capital the entertainment industry controls; Archvis guys could never hope to contribute the funding needed to achieve all that we'll have access to through Otoy. If that funding from the entertainment industry moves visualisation forwards faster, makes it better, and makes it more accessible; my job of communicating ideas will be easier and I can focus more on having the ideas & enjoying the creative process.

I digress, but there's an argument that in our work (archvis) sometimes its best to not show clients a fully resolved alternate/imagined reality because it can make the client feel excluded from the process; or provide a sense of finality: "look, there it is, finished already - I wanted more light in the living room" ... but knowing your clients is important for this.

To summarise; what Otoy are doing is making a common platform which not only has direct applications for all the creative aspects of visual/spatial communication, but can also act as the delivery platform for some of that entertainment/communication.
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 am

Elvissuperstar007 Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muFYAF0M46I
hope will be able to bridge3 the atmospheric-like effects (wind, rain, snow)
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RealityFox » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 pm

RealityFox Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 pm
I've known about brigade for a while, but I'm kinda curious: Does this mean that when you model a high poly asset that it does not need to be turned into a low poly version for the game? Does poly count not hurt people on low spec machines because it's all cloud based?

Only real downside to this is the server connection required. I mean if your servers have a bad day and get overloaded (due to the high amount of usage) or you have a power outage I presume that means the game is not playable?
RealityFox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaberwocky » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Jaberwocky Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:13 pm
Goldorak

"One key difference between Octane and Brigade - you can't yet edit the nodes for the materials in Brigade (and mix materials may need to be flattened). Materials are essentially 'frozen' in Brigade to get the best real time speed possible, but that is not a huge issue; the intent of Brigade is for playback and walkthrough's, not live material editing, where a live Octane view port is ideal"

So, picking up on that and just thinking out loud......... if you could freeze material editing in Octane,then start the rendering, presumably you would see a speed increase ?

one possible workflow scenario....set up Octane with the scene, play with and adjust materials, then do a test render of a few hundred samples.When your happy,compile the Octane scene to a separate file and then render that file for faster render times. :geek:
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to News & Announcements