Cubix GPU-Expander for Octane Render

Forums: Cubix GPU-Expander for Octane Render
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Cubix GPU-Expander for Octane Render

Postby radiance » Sat May 22, 2010 3:09 pm

radiance Sat May 22, 2010 3:09 pm
ROUBAL wrote:I mean the loading/voxelising time.

For a still picture, it is done once, and after that if you spend time to adjust your materials parameters, you almost forget the loading/voxelising time, but when you have to render an animation, this loading/voxelizing time is repeated for each exported frame and then, it is another story : I have just finished rendering a 35 frames animation test, and while I got 2 to 4 seconds of rendering per frame at 32 samples per pixel, The loading/voxelizing time for each frame was 124 seconds... for a scene in 1024x576, with only a character in a empty screen (290MB).

there is'nt much we can do at this time about that, raytracers need some time to build up what they need to render first...

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby ycarry » Sat May 22, 2010 3:13 pm

ycarry Sat May 22, 2010 3:13 pm
You should be able to use octane just fine on a 1x PCI-E connection, you'll just have to wait a minute instead of 2-3 seconds for the mesh to appear when you first click on your meshnode.
At least I can connect one Xpander (with two GTX480) to PCIe x16... and sold my GTX260 :)
but still wait EricNV advice about this PCIE x1...
ycarry
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Sat May 22, 2010 3:49 pm

ROUBAL Sat May 22, 2010 3:49 pm
@Radiance : I had this fear... :cry:

It is a great problem. Thanks to Octane I thought I could have a " mini personnal render farm at home". I had the hope to get both speed and almost photographic quality for my Flying Circus animation project, but I discover that even with more cores, It will not make it. I can't imagine the loading+rendering time required for 1.5 GB animated scenes in HD resolution... this necessary loading time is a so huge waste of power... it is like a very fast racing car that would need to be feeded with gazoline (Octane) each two kilometers...
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat May 22, 2010 4:34 pm

radiance Sat May 22, 2010 4:34 pm
ROUBAL wrote:@Radiance : I had this fear... :cry:

It is a great problem. Thanks to Octane I thought I could have a " mini personnal render farm at home". I had the hope to get both speed and almost photographic quality for my Flying Circus animation project, but I discover that even with more cores, It will not make it. I can't imagine the loading+rendering time required for 1.5 GB animated scenes in HD resolution... this necessary loading time is a so huge waste of power... it is like a very fast racing car that would need to be feeded with gazoline (Octane) each two kilometers...

Hey,

I'm sorry but that's what every external renderer has to do...
We might incorporate some simple flythrough animation options in the UI later,
but for propper animation you do need to export/voxelise.

other engines do this too...

Radiance
radiance

Postby ROUBAL » Sat May 22, 2010 5:10 pm

ROUBAL Sat May 22, 2010 5:10 pm
I knew that it was necessary, but didn't expected a such long loading time. :oops:
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm

radiance Sat May 22, 2010 5:12 pm
ROUBAL wrote:I knew that it was necessary, but didn't expected a such long loading time. :oops:

we'll work on it in future releases, it might go up in 2.3

Radiance
radiance

Postby livuxman » Sat May 22, 2010 6:58 pm

livuxman Sat May 22, 2010 6:58 pm
My small contribution.

I had already considered the problem of load times with an animation I'm working on (and I have suffered with other external renders at greater or lesser extent) and in the current state of animation capabilities of octane I'm in a situation similar to Roubal, so I'm still waiting for newer versions.
Also as I said in another thread, in linux you have to add more time to load their own octane.
The things I think could improve the situation greatly (at least with my animation) are the following:
-A resident mode, in which the program remains in memory, and the plugin (in my case the blender) communicates with it to pass the changes in the scene and expected to pick up the resulting image. It could be very similar to the current state, but when invoke command line octane, instead of starting the program, check if it is running, and passes the parameters.
-Instances. At least in my animation, much of the geometry is stationary objects (stage), so with the instances, there should be possible to separate stationary objects from the mobile ones, having to process between frames only moving objects (and thus pass from the plugin to octane). I've used something similar with blender and other external render and the problem of time to export more external render load almost disappears.
-Support for blender 2.5. I'm doing the animation in this version of blender that is unstable at the moment, but it will allow better integration of octane. The animation support is incompatible with 2.49, so if you load the scene with that version to try to use the current plugin, all traces of animation go away.

With these options, I estimate that in my case could move from 70 seconds of the blender export more 15 seconds of octane load more 45 second to load of the scene to 20 seconds of export more 14 seconds of octane changing the scene. In total would go from just over 2 minutes per frame to slightly more than half a minute.

I could be wrong, but I think what I present is feasible.

Cheers
LiVux 64bit | Geforce GTX260 Core 216 and GTX470 | i7 860 | 8Gb | Drivers 275.09.07 | Cuda 4.0.17
livuxman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat May 22, 2010 7:16 pm

radiance Sat May 22, 2010 7:16 pm
livuxman wrote:My small contribution.

I had already considered the problem of load times with an animation I'm working on (and I have suffered with other external renders at greater or lesser extent) and in the current state of animation capabilities of octane I'm in a situation similar to Roubal, so I'm still waiting for newer versions.
Also as I said in another thread, in linux you have to add more time to load their own octane.
The things I think could improve the situation greatly (at least with my animation) are the following:
-A resident mode, in which the program remains in memory, and the plugin (in my case the blender) communicates with it to pass the changes in the scene and expected to pick up the resulting image. It could be very similar to the current state, but when invoke command line octane, instead of starting the program, check if it is running, and passes the parameters.
-Instances. At least in my animation, much of the geometry is stationary objects (stage), so with the instances, there should be possible to separate stationary objects from the mobile ones, having to process between frames only moving objects (and thus pass from the plugin to octane). I've used something similar with blender and other external render and the problem of time to export more external render load almost disappears.
-Support for blender 2.5. I'm doing the animation in this version of blender that is unstable at the moment, but it will allow better integration of octane. The animation support is incompatible with 2.49, so if you load the scene with that version to try to use the current plugin, all traces of animation go away.

With these options, I estimate that in my case could move from 70 seconds of the blender export more 15 seconds of octane load more 45 second to load of the scene to 20 seconds of export more 14 seconds of octane changing the scene. In total would go from just over 2 minutes per frame to slightly more than half a minute.

I could be wrong, but I think what I present is feasible.

Cheers

i have removed some redundant code that makes the app start 2-3 seconds faster for 2.2 RC3.
it's not much, but it's a start ;)

Radiance
radiance

Postby havensole » Sun May 23, 2010 12:47 am

havensole Sun May 23, 2010 12:47 am
I thought I had commented on this earlier, but I must have screwed something up. Anyway, wouldn't an animation import format like collada/fbx/rib fix some of the import/voxelising issues as it would load the animation at once versus separate obj files for each frame?
System 1: EVGA gtx470 1280Mb and MSI gtx470 1280 in Cubix Xpander for Octane, AMD 945, 4Gb Ram
All systems are at stock speeds and settings.
havensole
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 am

radiance Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 am
havensole wrote:I thought I had commented on this earlier, but I must have screwed something up. Anyway, wouldn't an animation import format like collada/fbx/rib fix some of the import/voxelising issues as it would load the animation at once versus separate obj files for each frame?

it would still need to voxelise, and, importing animation from collada into octane is no easy task. i don't think we will have that in v1.0

Radiance
radiance

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements