Cubix GPU-Expander for Octane Render

Forums: Cubix GPU-Expander for Octane Render
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Cubix GPU-Expander for Octane Render

Postby jipe » Thu May 20, 2010 2:58 am

jipe Thu May 20, 2010 2:58 am
Hi Eric, great to have you on the boards and thanks for the answers. Definitely a sweet product and I hope the Octane + GPU-X combo makes a big splash at SIGGRAPH this year. The smaller booths always have a couple great surprises!
jipe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am

SurfingAlien Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am
Hi Eric!
please let us know something about buying Cubix products in EU if/when you can... thanks!
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EricNV » Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 pm

EricNV Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 pm
Hi Eric, great to have you on the boards and thanks for the answers. Definitely a sweet product and I hope the Octane + GPU-X combo makes a big splash at SIGGRAPH this year. The smaller booths always have a couple great surprises!
Hi Eric!
please let us know something about buying Cubix products in EU if/when you can... thanks!
Thanks Everyone! Cubix ships worldwide. We may eventually develop a relationship or two with the EU distribution channels, but for right now, all sales are direct.

We've already shipped several Xpander units to the EU without incident (although I accidently sent one customer the tracking numbers for a different customer :? ), so if you're inclined to add slots and watts instead of replacing your entire system, please try us! BTW - Cubix standard policy is that customers have 30 days from date of invoice to return the system to Cubix for a full refund; if you are not satisfied with the performance (i.e., its performance doesn't match advertised specifications) or you cannot resolve any outstanding technical issues with Cubix Customer Service.

Eric
EricNV
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vimaxus » Thu May 20, 2010 8:16 pm

vimaxus Thu May 20, 2010 8:16 pm
Great product!
Any chance for a (future) compatibility with iMacs? (specifically the 27")
The office is full of them and they all have 4xxx atis so at least one compatible gpu-x would fix a lot of problems. I showed around my renders in octane and they were impressed but with no chance to use it right now I can't even discuss buying octane.
vimaxus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby havensole » Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 pm

havensole Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 pm
Eric can correct me if I am wrong, but the iMac's do not have any viable expansion slots. I wish they did as we have about 20 of them in our Mac lab here. At minimum you would need an Epress32/54 port like in the Mac Books. It would be interesting to see, and I am sure it isn't anywhere near possible, a standalone firewire box. I'm sure that'd break a few computer design laws though.
System 1: EVGA gtx470 1280Mb and MSI gtx470 1280 in Cubix Xpander for Octane, AMD 945, 4Gb Ram
All systems are at stock speeds and settings.
havensole
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EricNV » Thu May 20, 2010 8:34 pm

EricNV Thu May 20, 2010 8:34 pm
Great product!
Any chance for a (future) compatibility with iMacs? (specifically the 27")
The office is full of them and they all have 4xxx atis so at least one compatible gpu-x would fix a lot of problems. I showed around my renders in octane and they were impressed but with no chance to use it right now I can't even discuss buying octane.
Unfortunately, no Ethernet or Firewire interface (connection to the GPU Xpander) is planned at this time.

An idea to overcome this is to purchase an XpanderBlade with a GPU-Xpander unit, then use a network connection to load render files and control remotely.

EricNV
EricNV
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archigrafix » Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

archigrafix Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm
Sorry but For now I dont understand how you switch so easily from one Pc to another one? thats why I dont understand how you connect your box to the PC... Is it done through the inboard PCI card? to resume do I have to open my PC and do some "mecanic" or not?
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 pm

radiance Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 pm
archigrafix wrote:Sorry but For now I dont understand how you switch so easily from one Pc to another one? thats why I dont understand how you connect your box to the PC... Is it done through the inboard PCI card? to resume do I have to open my PC and do some "mecanic" or not?

the box connects to a small card (which is included with the box) that is placed in the slot where your video card is, and you connect the box to it.
If you place these small PCI-E cards in several computers, you can swap the xpander box between these computers just like reconnecting one monitor to multiple PCs.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby EricNV » Fri May 21, 2010 7:07 pm

EricNV Fri May 21, 2010 7:07 pm
I've just updated the online store with MANY changes and needed revisions which I had not caught originally earlier this week. Additions include Xpander for Octane Render base unit NO GRAPHICS CARDS, additional cable and PCIe adapter card (choice of x1 or x8 PCIe).
https://www.cubixgpu.com/Online-Store

EricNV
EricNV
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EricNV » Fri May 21, 2010 7:09 pm

EricNV Fri May 21, 2010 7:09 pm
Also, I corrected the picture shown for Xpander for Octane Render :)
EricNV
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements