When Octane will handle Python ?

Forums: When Octane will handle Python ?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

When Octane will handle Python ?

Postby fallen21 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:14 pm

fallen21 Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:14 pm
Hi,

As you know some of the poser stuff use python, that's why i would like to know when (if when) Octane will handle this feature of Poser ?

Thanks,
fallen21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: When Octane will handle Python ?

Postby TRRazor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 pm

TRRazor Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 pm
What functions of Python inside Poser are you referring to specifically ?
From what I remember a lot of OctaneRender itself is implemented via Python...correct me if I'm wrong here.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm

face_off Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm
As you know some of the poser stuff use python, that's why i would like to know when (if when) Octane will handle this feature of Poser ?

Hi

The OctaneRender for Poser plugin is predominantly written in python. In theory you could call some of the plugin functions from your own PoserPython code, although I'm not sure what functionality you would need this for.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fallen21 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 pm

fallen21 Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 pm
Layered skins, i've few products which apply a texture on the skin, it's not visible when Octane is launched, to be more clearer: Shana's tattoos works via python script & add to the skin on or more tattoos. If there's a specific thing to do i would love to hear it ^^ but currently if i try any of my products which work via python script it's not working.
fallen21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pandarr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Pandarr Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:05 pm
fallen21 wrote:Layered skins, i've few products which apply a texture on the skin, it's not visible when Octane is launched, to be more clearer: Shana's tattoos works via python script & add to the skin on or more tattoos. If there's a specific thing to do i would love to hear it ^^ but currently if i try any of my products which work via python script it's not working.

I haven't used Shana's tattoos in a while but I think they just add more nodes to your V4 figure in the material room. The node complexity doesn't get recreated in Octane. That's likely something you'll manually have to fidget with. Even if you got the python script to run in Octane it wouldn't know what to do since you're effectively running a script meant to interact with Poser but telling it, "Hey interact with Octane instead." It wouldn't have a clue what to do.
Pandarr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 pm

face_off Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:49 pm
Have you tried reconverting the Poser Skin materials to Octane materials after running the tattoo python script? That should re-convert the nodes the python script has setup to Octane materials.

It may be that the Poser material nodes will not directly convert to an Octane equivalent automatically - but you should able to manually tweak the Octane material to get the same result. If you post a screenshot of the Poser skin material /after/ running the tattoo skin, we can provide guidance.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fallen21 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm

fallen21 Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:54 pm
I've already test to reconvert but nothing more.

Here are the material room with the tattoo:
fallen21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 am

face_off Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 am
The plugin is going to grab the texturemap from the Poser "Image_Map" node (which is hard to identify because that node is closed on that screenshot). The Poser nodes are then merging the standard (V4?) image map with the tattoo map in the SWP_ShanaC_Math0 node. Again - hard to tell what that node is doing without it being open. If it's a multiply node, you can do exactly the same thing in the Octane plugin. Change the Diffuse pin to a Multiply, put the V4 skin texture in Texture1 and the Tattoo map in Texture2 (both as RGB Image nodes).

IMO, you will get a superior render by using a skin texture which has the tattoo's on it already, rather than a product which merges the tattoo with another skin texture.

Paul
Attachments
tattoo setup.png
tattoo setup.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fallen21 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 pm

fallen21 Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 pm
This way is working but if i do that the part of the skin with the tattoo map is different than other parts.

Tattoos image map are in my opinion very rare i've found some but anything as Shana did.
fallen21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 pm

face_off Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 pm
This way is working but if i do that the part of the skin with the tattoo map is different than other parts.

You will need to do the "Multiply" setup above inside whatever skin material node setup you are using for the figure (ie, don't just use the above material because it is different from the other Octane skin material zones). So whereever there is a normal skin texturemap connected to a pin, replace it with the "multiply" above.

Also, that "multiply" method posted was a guess - if you post a screenshot with the SWP-Shana node opened, I can get a better idea of what the Poser material is doing.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Poser