Vignetting Default Zero

Forums: Vignetting Default Zero
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Vignetting Default Zero

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm
Guys, I just had to completely re-render a 20 second animation after a client change that only affected a small area - that I would have been able to region render (and comp in AE), had I not had the vignetting on with the default of 30. D'oh!.. As some of you may or may not know, vignetting and region render do not play well together. Until there is native region render in Octane engine, Juanjo can not do a cropped version of the full image's vignette. This is why rendering just a chunk of a render with vignetting on and pasting into PSD or AE yields undesirable results. They do not match. And it is quite easy to forget to turn off vignetting when setting up a new scene.

So this got me thinking: maybe it is time for a vote to have Vignetting default to zero. Yes, vignetting is wonderful, and makes images look that much nicer right out of the box, and PS/AE vignetting often produces banding in lower res images - making a vignette in Octane far superior... but because of the region render issue alone, I personally think it should be set at a default of zero for new Imager: Camera nodes...

So here is my vote for Vignetting Default Zero: Yea!

Please vote below.

Edit: It is very unlikely that I would make this boo boo again. I've learned my lesson twice now. I am just trying to help others from suffering the same fate - and needing to re-render full images (or, god forbid, full animations) because of region renders not jiving with originals.
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Vote Yea or Nay for Vignetting Default Zero

Postby UnCommonGrafx » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:13 am

UnCommonGrafx Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:13 am
Frank,
Not to throw too much water on your request buy wouldn't/couldn't that be achieved by saving out your default environment with that parameter set at zero?
Because, even as you allude to it, that would negate their default beauty render. They went ahead and put the power in your hands; go ahead and use it.

I would vote no.
i7-4770K, 32gb ram, windows 8.1, GTX Titan and gt 620 for display
UnCommonGrafx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Vote Yea or Nay for Vignetting Default Zero

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 pm

FrankPooleFloating Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 pm
:oops: Okay. That's a little embarrassing. I'm not a guy who saves and uses presets that often, but for render target setup, I think I will from now on.

Never mind.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D