OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.23.2

Forums: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.23.2
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.23.2

Postby gordonrobb » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:37 am

gordonrobb Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:37 am
So do we have gradients in this build then?
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marchermitte » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 am

marchermitte Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 am
Estupendo! Perfect time, a great start for 2014! Thank you !
Marc Hermitte
Intel I7 4.5 Ghz, 24 gig ram, 2x Nvidia GTX 480, win 764bits
marchermitte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marchermitte » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 am

marchermitte Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:23 am
I just found out about the network rendering support... does that mean that we can use GPU from other computers on the network? Really?
Marc Hermitte
marchermitte
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby geo_n » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 am

geo_n Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:27 am
The modo octane plugin apparently will have a way to translate materials in between octane and modo. And also the octane livedb will be supported?
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... 69&page=10

Will it be possible soon to have lightwave surface be translated in to octane values?
I think its a huge timesaver. One way it could be done is to follow what the old lightwave to octane standalone did via obj format. The obj file just inherited some values from the lwo file so that octane standalone could translate it inside.
There might not be exact or matching parameters for lw and octane but the most common once like diffuse, spec, transp, color could probably be translated into octane plugin.
geo_n
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 am

juanjgon Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 am
UnCommonGrafx wrote:This should be easily possible. Best place to start is the camera tip which tied dof of Octane to the native LW camera. That's a great example of using the native maths with Octane.

From there, remember to look at all the suggestions in the other thread, two info nodes subtracted ought to get you what you want. Variants could be extracted from the thread.

Yes, you can use the item info node to drive the gradient's input texture parameters, for example it's position. In this example you can see how to build a gradient parented to a Null object to mix two textures using the gradient node. You can animate the Null in a sequence without problem. The only issue is that you don't have a real time update in the IPR, but if you enable the "Mat.Upd" button, every time you click on "Redraw" the material is going to be updated without reload scene.

-Juanjo
Attachments
image000011.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am

juanjgon Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 am
marchermitte wrote:I just found out about the network rendering support... does that mean that we can use GPU from other computers on the network? Really?

Yes, but you need a full Octane combo license for each render node.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 am

juanjgon Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 am
geo_n wrote:The modo octane plugin apparently will have a way to translate materials in between octane and modo. And also the octane livedb will be supported?
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... 69&page=10

Will it be possible soon to have lightwave surface be translated in to octane values?
I think its a huge timesaver. One way it could be done is to follow what the old lightwave to octane standalone did via obj format. The obj file just inherited some values from the lwo file so that octane standalone could translate it inside.
There might not be exact or matching parameters for lw and octane but the most common once like diffuse, spec, transp, color could probably be translated into octane plugin.

Only very basic translation could be made because all Lightwave nodes and a lot of "T" texture layers parameters can't be translated to Octane, and none of the Octane materials are the same that the standard LW one. It is a lot of work for a very limited set of supported features ... anyway I am going to work something about this issue for Octane 2.0

About LiveDB, could be possible to get the materials or read materials from Standalone scenes, but it is not easy at all (or even impossible) to get a complete material tree from Octane and build a Lightwave material node tree with all this information. I am going to try to support LiveDB and read materials from Standalone, but also for Octane 2.0

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alexos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 am

alexos Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 am
I've never thought about translating LW materials to Octane ones - it just doesn't seem possible given the very different way they work but then, what do I know. On the other hand, having the chance to import from LiveDB would be great, even if it weren't a fully integrated thing - the Modo implementation sounds a bit crude, but as long as it works...

Smallish note, Juanjo: perhaps it's just me, but the "dark" connectors for the new nodes are scarcely visible against the default LW backdrop. Apart from that, this seems like a fantastic update!

ADP.
alexos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby geo_n » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

geo_n Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am
juanjgon wrote:Only very basic translation could be made because all Lightwave nodes and a lot of "T" texture layers parameters can't be translated to Octane, and none of the Octane materials are the same that the standard LW one. It is a lot of work for a very limited set of supported features ... anyway I am going to work something about this issue for Octane 2.0
-Juanjo

Not saying to support lw nodes. Just the basic layer based surface attributes. Since I'm working with multiple appz I try to be careful how I set up models for compatibility. When I model in lw then send it to others via obj or fbx the most important attributes are there so its not always starting from scratch.
I don't know how walfridson implemented his translator but when I used lw to standalone octane before I could get good results fast just using basic surface settings in lw then its translated into octane standalone via obj format. See the ferrari with basic lightwave materials.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php ... highlight=

The only thing I didn't like about it was the mesh had to be sent to gpu which took very long for octane that time.
geo_n
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marchermitte » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

marchermitte Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm
It seems that light exclusion doesn't work:

Or did I miss something?
(using Lightwave 11.6 btw)
Marc Hermitte
marchermitte