Feature request!

Forums: Feature request!
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Feature request!

Postby alexos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm

alexos Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:01 pm
Juanjo, I seem to understand that adding new nodes is a pain in the neck, as you have to rewrite them from scratch, BUT... One I could really, really use is the shadow catcher. Oh, and some kind of panels-like node would be nice as well - think IFW2 panels/tiles, or the one whose name I can't recall at the moment from Denis' collection.

On this particular subject, in fact, some kind of "regular variations" node would be great - think of a paneled wall where no two panels have quite the same colour, or glossiness or whatever - that's easily done within LW (again, thanks to 3rd parties) but not within Octane, and yet it's rather important for architectural visualization...

Cheers!

ADP.
alexos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Feature request!

Postby juanjgon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:45 pm

juanjgon Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:45 pm
The problem is that currently Octane doesn't have an API to write custom nodes or shaders. We can only use the nodes and shaders available in Octane Standalone.

Other CPU render engines (like Arnold or VRay) have a shaders API to write custom shaders, but we are playing on the GPU arena, and here things are a bit complex ;)

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Feature request!

Postby alexos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:11 pm

alexos Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:11 pm
Oh, damn, you're right - so I guess I should go and bug the Octane developers instead, eh? Although seeing as how people are still clamoring for region rendering and suchlike I suppose they've got their hands full already... Ah well, thanks anyway, as long as you can trick LW into connecting to the LiveDB I think I can survive without those two particular nodes for a while yet :)

ADP.
alexos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D