ORBX.js Video Decoding Errors

Forums: ORBX.js Video Decoding Errors
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

ORBX.js Video Decoding Errors

Postby photonreality » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am

photonreality Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am
Hi,

I think that orbx.js can become a very good product and we would use hundreds of instances
if it is possible to get it running smoothly. So i tested it a little.

On desktop PC (i7 Dual GTX680)
Only Google Chrome 33 Canary works reasonably well:
picture is displayed without artifacts and colors are correct if more than one connection is active.
On the first connection color levels are messes up, instead of 0..255 they are now 16..235.
This error appears only when a single connection is active.
Canary runs at only 32fps for some reason while CPU usage is 7%.

Chrome 31
It runs at 60fps, CPU usage is also somewhat higher.
But a lot of small white vertical and horizontal lines appear on the picture over time and they don't go away!
Almost like the famous hot pixels :-)
Color levels are correct (if multiple connections are active).
UV colors are also correct.

On Notebook (i7 Intel HD Graphics 3000 & NVidia GT 540M)
All Chrome browsers (31, 32 Beta and 33 Canary) have the same issues:
Small white vertical and horizontal lines appear on the picture over time and they don't go away.
Also some nasty UV(?) color bleeding and shadows are visible constantly.
Color levels are sometimes correct (for example Chrome 32 beta is correct but 33 Canary is not).

Firefox browser crashes when Nvidia card is turned on and orbx.js runs.
Other browsers are unable to turn on Nvidia card even if explicitly requested and they don't crash :-)
When Firefox is running on integrated Intel card it works the same way as Google Chrome, same artifacts,
color levels seem to be correct however.

Internet Explorer 10/11 displays video using only different intensity of green-blue color, no other colors.
(the same was Galaxy Note 3 using Chrome for Android). Is is using h264 codec?

After running the instance for few hours, quality drops to 1%..30% (QOS1,2) on all new connections, initially it was 100% (QOS4,5).
At the same time speedtest.net repots 100Mbps speed on client computers and 350Mbps on AWS instance.
Pathping shows 0% packet loss...
And after few moments orbx.js is no longer able to connect to the instance at all.
Remote desktop connection works still fine and rebooting the instance is the only thing that helps.

Best Regards,
Hando
photonreality
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ORBX.js Video Decoding Errors

Postby Goldorak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:24 am

Goldorak Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:24 am
photonreality wrote:Hi,

I think that orbx.js can become a very good product and we would use hundreds of instances
if it is possible to get it running smoothly. So i tested it a little.

On desktop PC (i7 Dual GTX680)
Only Google Chrome 33 Canary works reasonably well:
picture is displayed without artifacts and colors are correct if more than one connection is active.
On the first connection color levels are messes up, instead of 0..255 they are now 16..235.
This error appears only when a single connection is active.
Canary runs at only 32fps for some reason while CPU usage is 7%.

Chrome 31
It runs at 60fps, CPU usage is also somewhat higher.
But a lot of small white vertical and horizontal lines appear on the picture over time and they don't go away!
Almost like the famous hot pixels :-)
Color levels are correct (if multiple connections are active).
UV colors are also correct.

On Notebook (i7 Intel HD Graphics 3000 & NVidia GT 540M)
All Chrome browsers (31, 32 Beta and 33 Canary) have the same issues:
Small white vertical and horizontal lines appear on the picture over time and they don't go away.
Also some nasty UV(?) color bleeding and shadows are visible constantly.
Color levels are sometimes correct (for example Chrome 32 beta is correct but 33 Canary is not).

Firefox browser crashes when Nvidia card is turned on and orbx.js runs.
Other browsers are unable to turn on Nvidia card even if explicitly requested and they don't crash :-)
When Firefox is running on integrated Intel card it works the same way as Google Chrome, same artifacts,
color levels seem to be correct however.

Internet Explorer 10/11 displays video using only different intensity of green-blue color, no other colors.
(the same was Galaxy Note 3 using Chrome for Android). Is is using h264 codec?

After running the instance for few hours, quality drops to 1%..30% (QOS1,2) on all new connections, initially it was 100% (QOS4,5).
At the same time speedtest.net repots 100Mbps speed on client computers and 350Mbps on AWS instance.
Pathping shows 0% packet loss...
And after few moments orbx.js is no longer able to connect to the instance at all.
Remote desktop connection works still fine and rebooting the instance is the only thing that helps.

Best Regards,
Hando

Thank you for the feedback.

The green screen issue you see on IE or Android is because of no WebGL support, or missing or improperly supported WebGL features (in the case of IE11). That color issue should actually be fixed in the most recent update. Could you restart your instance and try again (at least on IE?). Android is not officially supported yet, but will be once WebGL matures and becomes more stable on Android browsers.

We're looking into the artifacts on Intel integrated graphics - it seems to be an issue with how WebGL is supported at the driver level. We're working on a fix.

I am not sure why you are seeing such variance in QOS over time - how far away are you from the host? Can you confirm nothing is running int he background on your system that could be eating into the browser's CPU cycles? Try restarting the browser, instead of the host, just to test is this is a client side issue.

Regarding the first connection vs. second connection color range, this is because the primary connection gets the display data right form the GPU driver (with Aero) in YUV format (for faster capture/encode), but secondary connections get it from CPU memory as RGB, and this is slower. You can force this mode even for the primary connection by using NVFBC=0, which turns off the direct capture on the NVIDIA GPU. This is not an official documented parameter in ORBX, so it may be deprecated in the future with a more generic high level one.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs