Client side not displaying anything

Forums: Client side not displaying anything
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Client side not displaying anything

Postby boxtown » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 am

boxtown Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 am
I'm running a g2.2xlarge Linux instance on an Amazon AMI. I've been able to successfully ssh in a grab the GUID, and I've even been able to scp in some files, but when I try to access the instance through Chrome v31 with WebGL enabled using the instructions posted http://aws.otoy.com/docs/OTOY-EC2-AMI.pdf here, all I can get is a black screen situated in a gray border. Any ideas?
boxtown

Re: Client side not displaying anything

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 am

Goldorak Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 am
Just confirming - did you load a ORBX Cloud Console AMI? If so, this is the expected behavior until you install an app in the user mode environment.

From the PDF:

The ORBX cloud console AMIs, by contrast, are for more advanced developers who are ready to
port their application or game to an isolated sandbox environment. The ORBX Cloud Console,
absent developer intervention, will simply load a locked down desktop in 1024x768 with a black
background.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby boxtown » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:19 pm

boxtown Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:19 pm
Yes I did load an ORBX Cloud Console AMI. I guess my question is then, I've loaded a game onto the server through scp, and I tried using the START option for running it when I access the server from the client side but still nothing showed. Could you possibly provide more details on launching a program from the client side?
boxtown

Postby Goldorak » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:52 am

Goldorak Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:52 am
Can you try something simple like:

START=cmd.exe

Just to confirm you can load a user mode process. Please let me know if that works.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby boxtown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 pm

boxtown Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 pm
Hey sorry for the late reply but I got it to work with gedit. I think it might have been I wasn't url encoding my forward-slashes
boxtown

Postby boxtown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:13 pm

boxtown Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:13 pm
Unfortunately, after having gotten gedit to work, the game I loaded onto the server still does not. It is a game developed in Unity for Linux machines and all the necessary folder and files are in the right places. Perhaps you might have some insight?
boxtown

Postby Goldorak » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Goldorak Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:32 pm
My earlier example was for the Windows ORBX Console AMI. That being said, The START parameter works the same way on Linux, but with Linux OS specific launch commands. I will have one of our Linux developers follow up to provide an example.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby boxtown » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm

boxtown Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm
Right I got it to display gedit on Linux by doing START=%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Fgedit which is the path /usr/bin/gedit required to launch gedit. However, when I tried to launch our game, which is situated at /home/ubuntu/GloverDemoLinux/GloverDemoLinux.x86_64, nothing came up. It shouldn't be an issue with the game because I am able to run it on local linux machines running ubuntu.
boxtown

Postby thegoldrush » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:14 am

thegoldrush Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:14 am
Hi,

Our application is successfully running using the Linux Game Console when launched with the URL. However it is either not consistent or we haven't understood the platform well yet with regard to how to stop/start application using the URL. In either case we would need help, so here is the problem we are facing

When I launch the application using URL (with START=<path to application>;VSRC=ogl) we can see our application playing in the browser which is awesome. However, when I launch it again nothing is displayed on the browser. We have to ssh into the instance and kill the application process manually and it starts working after relaunch using URL.

However sometimes the application doesn't start at all. When we ssh into the instance we see that no process related to our application is running.

Any info on how this works or how to debug would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
thegoldrush

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs