OctaneBench Competition | Industrious | FrankPooleFloating

Forums: OctaneBench Competition | Industrious | FrankPooleFloating
Please create a topic in here for your entry into the competition.
Forum rules
Please create one topic in here for you entry into the competition.

OctaneBench Competition | Industrious | FrankPooleFloating

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 am

FrankPooleFloating Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 am
WIP - Rough First Round...

OctaneRenderFactory.jpg

Yeah, this is a pretty rough first wip...

Many things are ham-fisted into place and the walls are the only things that have UV's thus far. I will be remodeling many of the objects with greater detail and use normals etc and optimize a bunch.. plus lots of texture work. There will be all kinds of chipped/peeled paint etc - and although I want to keep things somewhat muted, I plan to get much more color in here.
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneBench Competition | OctaneRenderFactory | FrankPooleFloating

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:57 am

FrankPooleFloating Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:57 am
Here is v2. Fans are looking way better with actual blades, for sure. Lot of other misc stuff.. Reservoir and pipes are coming along. There will be less and less of that rust all over.. and more and more paint (mostly chipped, peeled, corroded) and more color all around as we move forward. And even as I get tons more detail in objects and everything UV'd and textured, I will be tweaking and meddling up until 10/1... this I know.

I am having a blast with this. I'm not too concerned with winning this thing... my work never allows me to do this kind of stuff -- and I am thrilled to have a good excuse to do something like this... Though, I do want that 780!

:D
Attachments
OctaneRenderFactory_02.jpg
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 am

resmas Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 am
+1 mate...really cool

cheers

resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 am

FrankPooleFloating Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 am
Thanks a lot resmas. I like yours too. Very cool. ;)

I was just in the process of doing this test render when I saw your post... I do not want anyone to accuse me of plagiarism - but mine is going to have a heavy time theme too... see signage. I have been making these signs and getting them placed just so - for a couple hours...

OctaneRenderFactory_03.jpg
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 am

resmas Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 am
hello mate,
that looks awesome. 8-)

About the theme im not worried, for me you can have similar elements or even a hourglass too. ;)

yours is a hardcore scene...really good. i will go for a sparkle shiny scene so no worries...keep up with the great work. Wainting to see those operators working in your Factory/Case. :D

cheers
resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneBench Competition | Industrious | FrankPooleFloating

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 am

FrankPooleFloating Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 am
Not a major update, but since I'm getting ready to start on the workers, I thought I would toss this up... Starting to take shape now and lighting is coming together. Walls now corrugated steel with chipped paint. Temp scissor lift - where I believe my welder will be making an emergency repair on pipe. The gpus were in the process of being worked on.. I will come back to them. I am pretty eager to see how welder and blue light is going to look... This version is intentionally somewhat darker, since welding light and some other teaks are going to start bringing more highlights/details into dark areas.

Something I did not mention above is that when I started on this, I had a goal of serious depth - and deep dark shadow areas. The original benchmark scene did have some of this going for it. Expanding on this seemed like a good idea.

Industrious_01.jpg
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 pm
Had to do some real (client) work today, but I just did a real quick test of welder... with some work, this could look pretty cool. Welder himself is a lo-poly dough-boy.. will make him more visible and get some details in there.

I will try to squeeze in some more stuff this weekend.

Edit: Been rounding off the psu and fan/radiator stuff and it looking way better than this. No more sharp corners. Have to do a bunch more real work today (now sunday) but I will try to get a new version up tonight. Either before or after Breaking Bad.. but certainly not during...

Industrious_02.jpg
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eidy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:17 pm

eidy Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:17 pm
Hi,

It's a very nice scene you've built. I can actually feel all that metal ;)

If I may leave a small tip : the Octane "fan" / logo should be made more obvious (ex.: camera focus on it + light from behind & below + a little more close to the image center)

Keep up the good work :)
eidy
eidy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm

FrankPooleFloating Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm
Hello eidy - thanks for the kind words.

I am very big fan (pun intended) of subtlety. In my opinion, anyone looking at this scene for any length (whilst cooking) will likely realize it is indeed the Octane logo... or they won't, which doesn't matter either way. As Octane said, the logo is not required. I'm going to be keeping the fan where it is (actually, kicking it over to the right a little), but adding much more detail and texture. Technically in a water-cooled workstation, it and two others (not actually in scene and out of frame anyway) are connected to a radiator located at bottom of case (one place to put a rad)... this will become more apparent soon. Maybe you just thought it was a solitary case fan...

Anyhoo, thanks again and good luck bro.
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 am

FrankPooleFloating Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 am
Some new stuff in fan/rad and psu.. other misc tweaks too. I was hoping to get more accomplished this weekend -- oh well.. we still have two weeks. Even though it is starting to look kind of cool, I would not call any one part of this final. Lots of goodies still coming...

Industrious_03.jpg
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to The OctaneBench Competition Entries