Softimage to Octane exporter

Forums: Softimage to Octane exporter
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: Softimage to Octane exporter

Postby Amplitude » Sun May 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Amplitude Sun May 09, 2010 3:28 pm
ooooh , neat! :D
can't wait to use that baby in the 6.5 ...
Win7 Pro x64 | GTX 770 2GB + GTS250 512Mb | Intel Xeon i7 4x 3.4ghz | 16 GB ECC Mem | Intel SSD 520 | Dell 27"
SOFTIMAGE l 2011 + OCTANE V1.20
Amplitude
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby redmotion » Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 pm

redmotion Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Love the UI - really nice layout! :) Thanks for all the hard work, face. It's nice to see Softimage getting an exporter for a renderer so early on for a change.

PS: While I was trying to write my own exporter (see below), I was considering creating an Octane material in XSI somehow (maybe a rendertree compound?). In the XSI viewports they would appear like lambert/phong materials but when you export the scene to Octane (ie: press render), it would scan the scene and use the settings on the materials to write the OCS file - meaning that everything is set in XSI and Octane ends up working as just your render view (like most other 3rd party renderers).

Would you consider something like this for a future update?

BTW This how far I got with my own exporter (animation was what I tried to get working first), I'm glad you posted yours when you did or I would I wasted quite a few days pulling my hair out over it!:-

Code: Select all
//Octane Camera/Animation Exporter
var root = ActiveSceneRoot;

//Set Variables

//Files
var MeshName = "OBJ01frames";
var MeshNodeName = "Loader";
var OCSName = "AnimationTest.ocs";

var sDirPath = "C:\\3d\\Octane\\Scenes\\AnimationTest\\";
var sFilePath = sDirPath+MeshName+".obj";
var batFilePath = sDirPath+"OBJLoad.bat";

//OBJExportSettings
var Camera = "Camera" ;
var StartFrame = 1790;
var EndFrame = 1825;
var StepFrame = 1;
var PolymshOn = true;
var SurfMshOn = false;
var CurveOn = false;
var CloudOn = false;
var TessilateOn = false;
var MaterialOn = true;
var UVOn = true;
var UserNormOn = false;

//Write OBJs
//ObjExport(sFilePath, 0, 1, StartFrame, EndFrame, StepFrame, PolymshOn, SurfMshOn, CurveOn, CloudOn, 0, TessilateOn, MaterialOn, UVOn, UserNormOn);
for (counter = StartFrame; counter <= EndFrame; counter++)
{
SetValue("PlayControl.Current", counter, null);

sFilePath = sDirPath+MeshName + counter.toString(10)+ ".obj";
ObjExport(sFilePath, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null, 0, false, null, null, false);
}

//Set variables for bat file

var Samples = 256;
var ExitOnEnd = true;
var Filename = "file00";

//Write BAT file
var fso = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
var a = fso.CreateTextFile(batFilePath, true);
var counter = 0;
logmessage("Write BATfile start.");
for (counter = StartFrame; counter < EndFrame; counter++)
{
a.WriteLine("octane -e -m " + MeshNodeName + " -r " + sDirPath + MeshName + counter.toString(10) + ".obj -s " + Samples.toString(10) + " --output-png " + sDirPath + MeshName + counter.toString(10) + ".png  " + sDirPath+OCSName);
}
logmessage("Write BATfile end.");
a.Close();
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 pm

face Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 pm
redmotion wrote:Love the UI - really nice layout! :) Thanks for all the hard work, face. It's nice to see Softimage getting an exporter for a renderer so early on for a change.

PS: While I was trying to write my own exporter (see below), I was considering creating an Octane material in XSI somehow (maybe a rendertree compound?). In the XSI viewports they would appear like lambert/phong materials but when you export the scene to Octane (ie: press render), it would scan the scene and use the settings on the materials to write the OCS file - meaning that everything is set in XSI and Octane ends up working as just your render view (like most other 3rd party renderers).

Would you consider something like this for a future update?

[size=85]BTW This how far I got with my own exporter (animation was what I tried to get working first), I'm glad you posted yours when you did or I would I wasted quite a few days pulling my hair out over it!:-

My first version have created a tmp.obj(simple cube) with the first used material from the exported mesh, a tmp.mtl and a modified tmp.ocs with the first used material again.
To render it, i have launched the octane.exe, loaded the tmp.ocs and use the -m option to change the tmp.obj with the exported one.
So i have the right materials in the ocs.
The new one have another workflow...

For animation, i lanched the octane.exe and checked the running processes. When the octane.exe process was not running, this tell me octane was finish, i exported the same thing again. Frame for frame till the anim was finisch...

I know, with that technique(i mean the modified ocs), there is no limit to change anything in the scene you want.
The drawback is, is the ocs changed with future releases, it would cost more work as simply insert a new variable in the UI...

I don´t know, which changes in future are coming, but i think, no material ex/import...

I can post my exporter too, but i think you don´t want to read 1500 lines of c++ ;)

face...
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby redmotion » Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am

redmotion Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am
I know, with that technique(i mean the modified ocs), there is no limit to change anything in the scene you want.
The drawback is, is the ocs changed with future releases, it would cost more work as simply insert a new variable in the UI...

I agree its more work, just thought I'd suggest it!

Cheers.

EDIT: Its probably not necessary considering editing materials in Octane is so fast. Going back and forth between apps with material changes is probably a time waster.
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby adrencg » Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm

adrencg Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 pm
Hey Face, any thoughts on why I get this error, when just using the simple export you described early in the thread?

Ryzen 5950x
128GB Ram
RTX 3070 x 3
adrencg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 pm

face Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 pm
adrencg wrote:Hey Face, any thoughts on why I get this error, when just using the simple export you described early in the thread?

Sounds that one of these files would not found.
This should be in the temp folder:
tmp.ocs, tmp.obj&mtl and the XSI.obj&mtl
Can you check it and see if the build date/time is the date/time you press the render button?

I worry that i can´t help you more, while i don´t have the old addon. I have it changed to the v2.2

Hope you can wait till the 2.2 is soon out ;)

face...
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face » Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 am

face Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 am
A little preview...

http://www.vimeo.com/11676147

Hope you like it ;)

I don´t know if Softimage version < 7 will supported.
The SDK is a little bit different, so that i must rewrite some functions.
Especially the string functions from > 7.x are missing. And i use them much...
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby doca » Wed May 12, 2010 8:31 am

doca Wed May 12, 2010 8:31 am
Great work face! I have few questions, all about animation.
First, when you export animation from Softimage, does Octane starts with render immediately or you have some time to adjust materials.
Second and third(those questions are no targeted directly to you, but maybe you have some info or someone from development team can answer), are we going to have any timeline in Octane and related to that, is there going to be any animatable parameters in Octane (focal depth, materials...)?
doca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 pm

face Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 pm
doca wrote:Great work face! I have few questions, all about animation.
First, when you export animation from Softimage, does Octane starts with render immediately or you have some time to adjust materials.
Second and third(those questions are no targeted directly to you, but maybe you have some info or someone from development team can answer), are we going to have any timeline in Octane and related to that, is there going to be any animatable parameters in Octane (focal depth, materials...)?

Setting up you scene with materials and things that can´t be exported or you don´t want to export, shown in the video. Then save you ocs-scene. Based on this ocs-scene, you can render a animation.

Focal depth and aperture are values that can be animated.
The other things that can, should you see on the picture from the exporter...

A timeline should not be functional, while for every frame Octane starts new. How should Octane known, on which frame he is rendering.
Thats also the thing, why the materials are not can be animated. You use ever the first created ocs-scene.
I find it usefull, while some material values can´t exported with the obj format. eg the smothness.

For animated materials, we must generate a ocs for every frame with the right values on it. I think that would be more than a simple plugin ;)

face
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face » Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 pm

face Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 pm
I have compiled it for 6.02 x64 at this time.
Till 7.5 i can´t test it, but it runs under 7.5, 2010 2011.
It should also run under 6.02, 6.5 and 7.

face
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Resources and Sharing