reloading an OBJ file

Forums: reloading an OBJ file
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

reloading an OBJ file

Postby archigrafix » Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 am

archigrafix Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 am
Experimenting with obj files I have noticed the following:
when creating new geometry but usin materials that already are defined in Octane, no problem the update of the obj file is OK in Octane. But as soon as I create an new material in the obj file then Octane will ignore it in the reloading of this obj file. For now the only solution is going with a new file an load the obj again. Then material are Ok but, of course, I've lost al my previous material work in Octane..!
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: reloading an OBJ file

Postby Michael314 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 am

Michael314 Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 am
Hello,
just a side-thought, it would be great if Octane would support some form of native text file, which supports all of Octane's features.
Such a file could be the target for exporters of 3rd party modeler software, like blender, Poser or Carrara.
Alternatively, once 1.0 is out, if the format of the OCS file would be documented (and promised to be upwards compatible
for future releases)

Best regards,
Michael
Win XP 64 | GTX 580 (3 GB) | Core2Quad 2.83GHz (Q9550) | 8GB
Win7 Ultimate 64 | GTX 680 (4 GB) | Core i7 X980 | 24GB
Michael314
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm

ROUBAL Sat May 08, 2010 12:50 pm
@archigraphix :

You are doing things the wrong way : click on the mesh node.

In the node inspector, there is a button at the bottom of the materials list.

Click on this "relink" button and select the obj file with the new geometry and new matrerials.

The new obj file is loaded and all your already set materials are kept intact.

I'm not sure, but maybe that if the updated obj has the same name has the previous one, it is not loaded, so it is better to name your exports incrementally : xxxxx_01.obj, xxxxx_02.obj...
That may be the reason why new materials are not seen when you re-import the obj the way you did it.

Don't forget to save your ocs file from time to time and Before leaving Octane.

There is currently a bug that will be fixed in next version, that corrupts ocs files in some cases. With some luck, it will not happen to you !
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archigrafix » Sat May 08, 2010 1:44 pm

archigrafix Sat May 08, 2010 1:44 pm
THANX ROUBAL
yes it works when incrementing the file! and only in that condition. If I keep the original name than new material are not considered. Strangely in that case geometry updates but no new material is created.
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat May 08, 2010 5:33 pm

radiance Sat May 08, 2010 5:33 pm
archigrafix wrote:Experimenting with obj files I have noticed the following:
when creating new geometry but usin materials that already are defined in Octane, no problem the update of the obj file is OK in Octane. But as soon as I create an new material in the obj file then Octane will ignore it in the reloading of this obj file. For now the only solution is going with a new file an load the obj again. Then material are Ok but, of course, I've lost al my previous material work in Octane..!

Hi,

We have a special relinking mechanism for this.
Don't change OBJ files.

What you do is the following:

- you export to a new OBJ file (don't overwrite the old one)
- in octane, click on the meshnode of the OBJ file, then scroll all the way down in the node inspector to the right, and click the relink button.
- octane will replace the geometry with the geometry in the new OBJ file you chose, and the materials will stay intact / connected via names, and the new ones are added.

when changing OBJ files outside octane without the relinking mechanism, you will run into problems.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby radiance » Sat May 08, 2010 5:33 pm

radiance Sat May 08, 2010 5:33 pm
roubal -> you just beat me to it :)

Radiance
radiance

Postby radiance » Sat May 08, 2010 5:34 pm

radiance Sat May 08, 2010 5:34 pm
Michael314 wrote:Hello,
just a side-thought, it would be great if Octane would support some form of native text file, which supports all of Octane's features.
Such a file could be the target for exporters of 3rd party modeler software, like blender, Poser or Carrara.
Alternatively, once 1.0 is out, if the format of the OCS file would be documented (and promised to be upwards compatible
for future releases)

Best regards,
Michael

OCS is not a scene file format for doing IO from host apps, it was not designed for such use and we are working on alternatives that will allow for better integration.

Radiance
radiance

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)