Looking to get a CPU/GPU Mix Workstation

Forums: Looking to get a CPU/GPU Mix Workstation
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Looking to get a CPU/GPU Mix Workstation

Postby Daniel Ahrens » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 am

Daniel Ahrens Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 am
Hello Octane Forum!

I am looking to add Octane to my workflow and because of my work i am in a Mac only Environment with Vray for C4d.
I just sold my Mac because I need the right Hardware for Vray and Octane. I want it to be a mix between a CPU and GPU workstation because I will need to continue with Vray.

My budget is about 3k Euro.

I would be very happy if I could get some advice on my current configuration for the PC:

Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa Core (will be overclocked to 4.5 Ghz)
Asus GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB (For my System and while Octane is rendering for modeling etc.)
EVGA Titan
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Mainboard
G.Skill Ripjaws-X Memory 32GB
Samsung 840 Pro 256 SSD
Coolermaster HAF-X Case
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower 1050W

If everything goes well, I am looking to get another Titan later on.

I have looked through the forum and found some great threads to get some information. Everyone in here is quite helpful.

I read that Octane can use 100% of your GPU, so it is good that you have a small backup graphics card that octane won't touch so you can keep working. Is this correct?
Also is there a tool for Windows which tells the operating system that it should only use the gtx 650 and leave the Titan for octane?
Will the workstation above be sufficient to use Octane properly?

Thanks!
Daniel Ahrens
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Looking to get a CPU/GPU Mix Workstation

Postby glimpse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 am

glimpse Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 am
hi, Daniel,

it seems You've done some homework =)

if You need some cpu power & what You get from z77 based platforms is not enough than this road is only solution before jumping on xeons & it offers very good value too. mobo is a bit on a pricy edge, though quite capable & You can stuff up four cards inside!

as for SSD, keep Your eye on upgraded 840 labeled EVO =) might not be in stock yet..

for PSU I would step up to 1200w just incase You would like to slot two more cards later..

as for the case, well personally I don't like it, 'cos it looks like a toy, rather than workstation.
I do preffere clean look /like R4 from fractal-design/, but it's very subjective,isn't it? so.. =)

Overall it's a very nice list of parts & I believe You'll happy with it =)
it's more than capable for Octane.

onemore thing, don't populape all ram slots with cheeper ram modules..incase You would like to double the amount later..so You wouldn't need to throw out 32gbkit..

as for windows, You don't need to specify anything, simply plug Your monitor into lower-end card & beffore rendering uncheck the the box so Octane wouldn't render on 650, that's it =) curently in my temp rig sit 460 for monitor & a bit bigger brother - 670.. works perfect =) W7 doesn't touch it at all before opening OR =)

cheers

p.s. since You're looking for Titan, unlikelly You'll top out all 6gb of Vram, so with priority checkbox, taht appeared in Octane not so long ago, You can actually work fluent with one card, so there's not so much of a need for low end card anymore. You can try living without it & save You money..if You see that You don't like smth, You always buy some cheepo anywhere =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm

rappet Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm
I got a system alike, bought more then one year ago, and yes it is more then capable for Octane.
I paid 2260 euro without the GPU. I chose to go for big case with lot of fans for aircooling.. the 580's are producing a lot of heat.
In futere I can swap the 580 for Titans or newer. (but more likely I will probably buy a complete new second system in future though)
Most of the time I render with just one card when setting up the scene. And when final rendering I mostly use three GPU, because I use the first GPU for doing other stuff in the mean while, like videoproduction in Adobe Premiere or postproduction in Photopaint.
If really needed I can render with 4 GPU.

If I were you I would go for the Titan as soon as you can... it is such a joy working with fast realtime rendering!

Hopefully youc an enjoy your new system soon.
greetz,

4x gtx 580 3gB classified
Enermax Fulmo GT ( case) with a lot of fans:
- Silverstone AP181 180mm ( 5x fans: 4x left panel + 1x front )
- Scythe Typhoon 1450Rp 120mm ( 2x fans top panel)
- Scythe Slip Stream 500Rp 120mm ( fan right panel behind cpu)
- Scythe Slip Stream 500Rp 140mm ( 5x fans: 2x for hdd front +2x bottom+ 1x rear)
- Scythe Kaze Q12 ( fan controller )
Enermax Maxrevo 1500W ( power unit)
Intel Core i7 3930K ( processor )
Corsair Hydro H100 ( processor cooling)
Asus Rampage IV Extreme ( motherboard)
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb ( 8x4Gb memory)
2x Samsung 830 128Gb ssd
Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb ( HD )
W7 64bits
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel Ahrens » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Daniel Ahrens Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm
@glimpse: Thanks for your feedback! I agree, I will go for the 1200W PSU Unit. If Octane pays of like i think it will, i want to add more Cards.

I just googled the EVO but i didn't find them in Stock anywhere and also I think the Pro is sufficient even with a 25% EVO speed increase I really don't mind because I work almost always from my RAID.

I kind of agree with your opinion about the case. But this is the case which i know will work 100% with my configuration and the big E-ATX board. It is not as slick, clean or simple but it will do.

I changed my mind about the RAM. I am going for 4x 8 GB Low Profile Corsair Vengenance. The G.SKill won't fit with my CPU cooler.

Thanks again for your help. I wanted to PM you early this week but I wasn't a active member in the Forum yet so I did not have permission to send PM.

@rappet: Thanks for posting! It's great to hear that almost the same configuration is already been worked with octane.

You bought the same system almost one year ago. I know that you should buy something when you need it but is there a huge Hexa Core or any other configuration update around the corner? Is this still a smart buy over a year later?

Thanks!
Daniel Ahrens
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 pm

rappet Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:41 pm
Daniel Ahrens wrote:@rappet: Thanks for posting! It's great to hear that almost the same configuration is already been worked with octane.

You bought the same system almost one year ago. I know that you should buy something when you need it but is there a huge Hexa Core or any other configuration update around the corner? Is this still a smart buy over a year later?

Thanks!

Hi Daniel,

Don't take me by the horns, but I checked on the store-next-door's website and I think the Intel Core i7 3930K is still a good deal. With the Corsair Hydro H100 ( processor cooling) I got it pumped from @3,2 to @4,5 and I got 12 threads (with hexacore). The development in CPU speed is much slower then GPU. (That's why I went for Octane and GPU when I met Octane a year ago and I did not regret a second). I Like to have a lot of CPU power though... and memory too... I work with lots of different software (at the sametime too) and they all require different. So, for me this light hybrid system is great. You can go further in having two Xeon cpu's on your mobo, but I do not need that much CPU and I rather put my money on some Titans :mrgreen:

greetz,
Last edited by rappet on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 pm

glimpse Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 pm
yeah, if You have noctua fan, that are typically pretty silent, Once You get 1200W power supply, like corsair 1200i, Your rig could be almost silent under full CPU load, as PSU don't spin it's fan up to 40% usage.

back to the cooler, it's really nice that companies like Noctua do have a compatability list of boards and some other recomendations. personally I do use one of their model & because of that chose low profile ram too.

some go crazy with very fast (ram) modules, but I don't see any need of wasting money - from my observations, from what I do, I haven't seen any difference at all.

as for EVO - it's actually slower =) than PRO.. it replace older 840 (nonPRO) model. it has a bit better value if You judge SSD on it's capacity, as speed difference is minimal & usually unnoticible for everyday tasks.

interesting fact to keep an eye on is upgrade of their budled software - with some improvements these drives will get a noticible boost using sort of RAM disk for cache /just read about that today/

ghm..probably it's time to blow dust from that sketchy article 'bout building a system and put it online, as this is the topic that would be intereting for a lot of people.

hehe, hope some ideas helped =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel Ahrens » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Daniel Ahrens Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm
Sorry for the late reply. Had some crazy render nights at work.

Thanks guys for all of your advice. I ordered the parts yesterday. It should be all here tomorrow hopefully and be up and running by tomorrow evening.

I am excited!
Daniel Ahrens
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing