OctaneRender for Rhino beta testers wanted

Forums: OctaneRender for Rhino beta testers wanted
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW : OctaneRender for Rhino beta testers wanted

Postby SamPage » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

SamPage Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm
I would be interested in testing this.
Win 7 64bit | 2x GTX 285 | i7 920 | ASUS P6T Deluxe | 12GB
SamPage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ALTO » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 pm

ALTO Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 pm
Hi, i'm an architect using Rhino since v.3.0, i'm using VrayforRhino and Maxwell since their beta, we also have RhinoThearos (THEA) and RhinoLive (Arion) in our office,
Octane was used just for a couple of works because the standalone is not ideal for our workflow, so i'm really interested to test this plugin.

Some of my renders:
WorksCompo.jpg

Thanks.
Andrea
ALTO
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:42 pm

face_off Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:42 pm
Probably is not the right section .... Instances as work?

Ideally a Block will be treated as Octane instance geometry, and will be connected to an Octane scatter node with the transforms set to the positions in Rhino of all the instances of that Block. I haven't implemented that yet - since I was wanting to hear if that would work for peoples workflow.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby felipezumaeta » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 am

felipezumaeta Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 am
Hi Paul,
Using blocks as an octane instance sounds logic, but will be great if you can also find a way to assign OBJ proxies to a rhino block (or similar). In that way we can have a low polygon block in our scenes and a nice HR mesh in the final render.

By the way, thanks for developing the plugin. I can wait to try it.
felipezumaeta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mar_y_o » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 am

mar_y_o Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:36 am
buena noticia, esperando hace mucho tiempo.
felicitaciones.
mar_y_o
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:55 am

face_off Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:55 am
Using blocks as an octane instance sounds logic, but will be great if you can also find a way to assign OBJ proxies to a rhino block (or similar). In that way we can have a low polygon block in our scenes and a nice HR mesh in the final render.

It should also be possible to use geometry proxies. They would be OBJ files that get attached to block objects (via the plugin) and would replace the block object geometry in the Octane Viewport. I've done this with the other plugins and it works well, although some of the OBJ libraries use different axis and scales (which get adjusted via sliders in the plugin). The biggest danger with this is that you can load a 500k poly OBJ and instance it 1000 times :-)

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby justix » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 am

justix Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 am
Hi face_off I'm an Authorized Rhino Trainer and I wiould be delight to test it is there any chance for a copy of the beta I will go test it for sure and really really glad to know someone is finally working on a Rhino Plugin... Great

:D
Win 7 64 | 2 X MSI AERO GtX 1070| Intel I7-6850K| 32 GB DDR4 RAM | Asus X99 II-A
justix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Daniel79 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 am

Daniel79 Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 am
face_off wrote:
Probably is not the right section .... Instances as work?

Ideally a Block will be treated as Octane instance geometry, and will be connected to an Octane scatter node with the transforms set to the positions in Rhino of all the instances of that Block. I haven't implemented that yet - since I was wanting to hear if that would work for peoples workflow.

Paul

I do not know if it may help you ... long ago, I created a file grasshopper to manage the instances. Considering the block as a base in my opinion it would be difficult to manage in Rhino (as happens now with Maxwellrender).
To make a forest with 1,000 trees, you should make 1000 copies of a block, resulting in increased file size and a difficult management of the model ...
What I created in grasshopper, copies are placed according to the position of objects "points", so are easier to manage ...
Here the post where you can find everything you need:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23430

I hope you can be of help for future development ...
SORRY, MY ENGLISH IS BAD!
2 Xeon quad core E5440_8gb Ram_Nvidia GeForce 2GTX 780ti 3Gb/Nvidia Quadro K2000_Win10 64bit_Octane 3.02_Rhinoceros3D
Daniel79
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby reberts2 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:05 pm

reberts2 Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:05 pm
Blocks works well for me, as they are 'native' to Rhino and integrated as such into any of my rendering workflows (Maxwell, Rhino, Octane).
Thanks!
Win 7 64 | GTX260 x 2 | Core i7 860 | 4GB & OSX 10.6 | 8600M GT | Core 2 Duo | 4GB
reberts2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby C3Design » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm

C3Design Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm
Great to see a Rhino plugin in the works. I've been relying on Sam Pages exporter for my Octane renders from Rhino and it has been great, but an integrated plugin such as you show in the video will be a huge advance.

I've been a Rhino user for 12 years and have gone through all the McNeel render solutions over the years. Flamingo, Flamingo NxT, Brazil, ect. I have demoed most of the other render solutions as well; Maxwell, Vray, Indigo, Bunkspeed, ect but have happily settled down with Octane. I won a copy of Keyshot for a design/render contest with T-splines a couple of years ago using Octane however.

http://www.tsplines.com/tscontest2011/transit

The year before, I won the marine division of the T-Splines contest, once again using Octane as my renderer. There are a couple of images from this project in the user galleries here on the Octane website, although one of them has an incorrect credit given...

http://www.tsplines.com/tscontest2010/bestmarine

I do primarily yacht design and Octane has been invaluable in my work and my clients love the results. Yachts are a particular challenge to render and I was never completely satisfied with the look of the water in other renders. The ability to use the Rhino ground plane as my water surface directly will be a great addition. I now create a large disc with a transparency mask to fade the 'horizon' edge but such a large physical plane is at odds with the small details in the Rhino model. I'm looking forward to seeing just how well the Rhino ground plane works for creating a true horizon line.

Please consider me for your Rhino plugin Beta team and keep up the great work!

Jody

C3Design
C3Design Yacht Design and Visualization
www.c111design.com

i7 920, GTX260/GT8300, 9GB, Win7, Rhino, Poser, Sculptris, Daz3D, Brazil
C3Design
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements