Second Video Card?

Forums: Second Video Card?
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Second Video Card?

Postby bpzen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm

bpzen Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm
Hello

I have a 2 Gig CUDA card now in my system. I was going to also get a 4 GIG card however in the FAQ I read this

17) If I get 2 graphics cards, do I double the memory available?
No, the memory available will be the memory capacity of the smallest card in your system. If you have a 1Gb and a 2Gb card, and need over 1Gb of memory for your scene, turn off the 1Gb card in the Cuda Devices tab of the plugin.

My question (before I buy this 4 gig card and Octane) is can I put the 4 gig in the system and make sure Octane uses the 4 Gig or no matter what Octane is going to use that 2 Gig Card?

Thank you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Win 7 64bit, Titan 6 Gig and GTX770 4Gig, Intel 3.75GHZ, 24Gig RAM, Poser 2014 patched
bpzen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Second Video Card?

Postby bpzen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm

bpzen Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm
And to be clear what I want to do is

Use the 4 Gig CUDA Card for Octane rendering

Use teh 2 Gig Card for my Operating System

Again, can I select the 4 Gig in the options for Octane and it will use that and not default to teh 2 Gig Card?

thanks again
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Win 7 64bit, Titan 6 Gig and GTX770 4Gig, Intel 3.75GHZ, 24Gig RAM, Poser 2014 patched
bpzen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Second Video Card?

Postby FooZe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 am

FooZe Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 am
Hi bpzen,

I think i have responded to your email already but for the sake of others that may have the same question...
yes, you can select the card(s) you want octane to use for rendering.
So just make sure your screen is plugged into the 2GB card, and then untick this card in octane's preferences so that it's not used for rendering.

Thanks
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Resources and Sharing