Poser parented cameras

Forums: Poser parented cameras
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Poser parented cameras

Postby vortex3d » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 am

vortex3d Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:25 am
I'm unable to render animations from cameras parented to anything other than UNIVERSE. Will I have to ability to render from ANY camera soon?

If this is a rehash of an old topic, I apologize in advance. I did try to search for posts with the keywords "poser camera" and the search ignored "camera" and gave me all posts with the word "poser" =/
Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | GTX 660Ti, GTX TITAN, 6GB GDDR5 | Intel Core i7 3970x, 3.5 GHz | ASUS P9X79WS | 64GB RAM
vortex3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Poser parented cameras

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 am

face_off Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 am
Hi

This is a complex topic! In summary, if you parent a camera to a figures foot, there is a lot of scaling that can happen to the camera from the parent actors which cannot easily be detected by the plugin. And if the camera scale is not 100%, then the camera fov calculation is wrong. So the only way to be certain that the camera is not scaled is to have it parented to the Universe and check the scale parameters. And that is why that check is in there.

It could be possible to add a setting in the OctaneDefaults file called ALLOW_SCALED_CAMERAS, which if true, you could scale a camera, knowing that the Octane Viewport would not match the Poser window, but then you could parent the camera to something other than the Universe.

Hope that all makes sense.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vortex3d » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 am

vortex3d Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 am
Thank for the help face_off!

I'm trying to render an animation of a race car driver's perspective.
Animating the Universally parented camera separately is possible, but it's an inefficient way to match the trajectory and the result would be amateurish.

I did try your suggestion as follows:
1. I added "ALLOW_SCALED_CAMERAS = 1" within the "# Camera defaults" section of the "OctaneDefaults.py" file.
2. Loaded my scene and switched to a parented dolly camera attached to it.

Unfortunately for me, opening the view port returned the same error;
"You cannot render from a camera that is not parented to the Universe. Select another camera."

This seriously limits my creativity to stills, and that's very disappointing. I really hope a solution is found soon since I love the quality of the Octane renders.
Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | GTX 660Ti, GTX TITAN, 6GB GDDR5 | Intel Core i7 3970x, 3.5 GHz | ASUS P9X79WS | 64GB RAM
vortex3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 pm

face_off Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 pm
1. I added "ALLOW_SCALED_CAMERAS = 1" within the "# Camera defaults" section of the "OctaneDefaults.py" file.

This feature is not in the current version - but it's something I could add to the next update.

I'm trying to render an animation of a race car driver's perspective.
Animating the Universally parented camera separately is possible, but it's an inefficient way to match the trajectory and the result would be amateurish.

I think there is an easy solution - parent the camera to the prop - get keyframes for the camera, then unparent it, such that it remembers to keyframed positions at each frame.

Object->Create Camera->Dolly
Window->Hierarchy Editor->Show Cameras->drag the new camera to the keyframed prop you want it to follow
Window->Animation Palette->click the last frame on the new camera line and add click + to add a keyframe (this should add a keyframe for each frame for the camera)
Select the new camera in the Parameter Dials window->Object->Change Parent->Universe

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser