Octane and Neatvideo

Forums: Octane and Neatvideo
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Octane and Neatvideo

Postby darkline » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm

darkline Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm
Not sure how helpful this will be to anyone, or if this is standard practice and I'm not telling you anything you don't know.... but if like me you need speed over anything, then I've found the neatvideo plugin a really efficient way to reduce the noise on animations in octane.

For example, I left a scene rendering for 1 min - took a snapshot at 1080p, and another at 4 minutes. The noise is obviously less on the 4 min image, but it's still very present. However I found that neatvideo can reduce the noise even on the 1 minute image to an extent that it looks smoother than the 4 min render. I find that shallow DOF in octane produces noisy out of focus grain which takes a long time to clean up. Neatvideo can smooth out images really nicely in these situations.

Of course, this is scene dependent, and NR used too aggressively will eventually introduce artifacts and you'll lose detail in the image. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution...But used subtly I have found this to be a real time saver and can seriously hack render times down for those doing long animations. So if you have an image that's 90% there and you don't want to wait another 4 hours for it to be noiseless, try out the demo - it might be useful to you.

http://www.neatvideo.com/download.html

It's simple to use but I found that rendering a uniform material with flat lighting first in octane for 1 minute (or however long your renders will roughly be - to give you a sample of the noise type) is the best thing to do. Highlight the noisy area in neatvideo and save this noise profile as a preset. Then use it on the full renders you kick out. I have created different noise profiles for different resolutions. (If you're working in 1080p then make sure you use a noise profile created from a 1080p image and not 720p for example)

If you find that Neatvideo is taking out image detail, you could try rendering even higher resolution so there's more chance it will grab the noise and preserve the details (as long as you create a high resolution noise profile first).

You get even better results using a test animation over a still image. There is a temporal NR setting which works by comparing noise patterns frame to frame, and this can clean images up even further.

I'll upload some images when I'm done with the job, but I'm finding it useful for production renders where I wouldn't normally use octane because of time.
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane and Neatvideo

Postby LudovicRouy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm

LudovicRouy Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:41 pm
Akvis noisebuster is really efficient too, I generally make a very high resolution picture (8k x 8k) and use it after a 2 or 3 min rendering, i didn't use the hotpixel filter in octane because it's less efficient and reduce render quality.
LudovicRouy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby retmia » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 am

retmia Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 am
Neatvideo works rather well ... But it still remains some very hot pixels / fireflyes : very lighted dots which are very hard to get rid off in animation. And if you push to high Neat video settings then you will start to really lose information from the picture ... anoying

I'm working on low light animation these days and I have found no way to finally get rid of these yet ...
I've been seeking all over the web and found nothing convincing ... Any idea anyone ?
retmia.net
retmia.blogspot.com

i7 3930k - 2x ASUS GTX590 - 16GB DDR 3 - Corsair AX1200
retmia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby darkline » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm

darkline Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm
Can you upload some grabs? What resolution are you rendering out to?

I found neat video to be one of the best, but there are limitations.
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby retmia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

retmia Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm
I managed to get rid of the too bright pixel within octane settings [...] I didn't notice that the remove firefly value was reversed! So everything works perfect by now !
retmia.net
retmia.blogspot.com

i7 3930k - 2x ASUS GTX590 - 16GB DDR 3 - Corsair AX1200
retmia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nehale » Wed May 22, 2013 7:45 pm

nehale Wed May 22, 2013 7:45 pm
retmia wrote:Neatvideo works rather well ... But it still remains some very hot pixels / fireflyes : very lighted dots which are very hard to get rid off in animation. And if you push to high Neat video settings then you will start to really lose information from the picture ... anoying

I'm working on low light animation these days and I have found no way to finally get rid of these yet ...
I've been seeking all over the web and found nothing convincing ... Any idea anyone ?

here is a simple render test i ran https://vimeo.com/66752181
Regards
Nehale

Windows 10 x64 | 2x GTX680 | i7 990X | 24GB
Cinema 4D R17 Studio + 3Ds Max 2017
OctaneRender™ for Cinema 4D 3.01 + OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v3.14
nehale
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbetke » Thu May 23, 2013 7:01 am

mbetke Thu May 23, 2013 7:01 am
Thanks for the video. I also use Neatvideo from time to time and it does a good job.

You video is a bit misleading because you have large areas of the same color and there is not much detail to loose there.
It woud look much more blurry and loose details if you use it on an image with more color variation and small details.
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nehale » Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 am

nehale Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 am
mbetke wrote:Thanks for the video. I also use Neatvideo from time to time and it does a good job.

You video is a bit misleading because you have large areas of the same color and there is not much detail to loose there.
It woud look much more blurry and loose details if you use it on an image with more color variation and small details.

Yes that is very true, I wanted to see how it handles excessive noise since it was my first time using it, from what i can see its very similar to the noise reduction in lightroom or camera raw, wont work well if there is a lot of fine detail and if the render is at a low resolution
Regards
Nehale

Windows 10 x64 | 2x GTX680 | i7 990X | 24GB
Cinema 4D R17 Studio + 3Ds Max 2017
OctaneRender™ for Cinema 4D 3.01 + OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v3.14
nehale
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm

rappet Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm
Thanx for sharing...
Very interesting.
I downloaded the demo immediately to experiment with adobe premiere and virtualdub!
This might help in reducing needed rendertimes for animation when working on a short deadline :P
Greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing