Lens settings? How to change focal point (in an animation)

Forums: Lens settings? How to change focal point (in an animation)
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Lens settings? How to change focal point (in an animation)

Postby orion_uk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:34 pm

orion_uk Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:34 pm
Hi, I see that when rendering a still image you can change the focal value, I cant work out how to do the following when rendering an animation and would love some advice please?

I have a scene setup (Daz Genesis via collada) with the camera tracking an EMPTY as a target. The target is in front of my characters face and the camera moves around the character targeting the EMPTY during the whole animation. In Blender I have another EMPTY (I named it focal node) that is selected under camera settings as the focal `object`as I cant track the face in Blender, (I only get options for armatures or other objects, not sub objects of the armature!) So how do I change focal distance during an animation in blender & Octane Render? So far all i have come up with is a clear view of my characters eye with the rest of the scene all blurry :(

I would like EVERYTHING in my scene to remain in focus for a large part of the animation and then the focal point (EMPTY/focal node) to move near the end of the animation so the character goes out of focus?

I am currently rendering a test of the EMPTY/focal node moving from one character to the other to see what happens, i simply want to learn how to focus on once character for a set time then shift focus on to another!

Also, how do you keep everything in the scene in focus during an animation (No problem with stills as I simply change OR camera settings rather than Blender settings), my attempts are so blurry unless I am working on a still image I cant achieve a clear picture! Man, I got so much to learn ;)

Many thanks for reading :)

UPDATE:

I think I am getting the hang of this a bit now, but I could still do with some pointers plz?
I just cant get the point I want to focus on nice and clear! I guess I find it hard to gauge where the blur starts and where it ends in the scene and how much of the area/scene will be clear or blurry!
Attachments
Capture7.PNG
Getting there!
Octane6.PNG
I just cant get the point I want to focus on nice and clear!
Blender.PNG
Octane2.PNG
Octane.PNG
Last edited by orion_uk on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.Neil-Isted.com
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
OctaneRender™ for Blender
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4
Poser Plugin
orion_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lens settings? How to change focal point (in an animatio

Postby ROUBAL » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm

ROUBAL Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm
I have done very few animations so far in Octane because I mainly make big scenes and the export/load time is huge. This said, in Blender you have to use the Defocus node with your Empty to adjust the focus on the Empty distance. Then animate the Empty.

If you want everything in focus, dont use the Defocus node and Empty, and select Autofocus in Octane's Camera parameters.

If you don't use autofocus and want some DOF :
If you have very few DOF, check your aperture parameter. Put it at Zero for max DOF (neat at all distances).
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lens settings? How to change focal point (in an animatio

Postby orion_uk » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:14 pm

orion_uk Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:14 pm
Hi Roubal, Thanks for your helpful reply ;)

I think I am getting it now (Thanks to you) but need to `play about` a bit more to strengthen my understanding of the process :P

Dont blink or you will miss the change in focus (from hand to face & back to hand) but here is a sample of my success, Thank again for your advice :D

Now I have a better understanding of the process I am going to look at adding detail to the scene, more character animation and focus (if you will pardon the pun) on smoother transitions between focal points and a longer animation. I will post the results here when its rendered :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, v-kind of you :D
http://www.Neil-Isted.com
Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz
RAM 16GB
1x Titan (6GB)
2x GTX 660Ti 2GB
Win10 Pro 64-bit
Carrara 8.5 Pro
Carrara - OR4C
OctaneRender™ for Blender
Ds pro
OR Standalone V4