1.02s Question about sunsets

Forums: 1.02s Question about sunsets
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

1.02s Question about sunsets

Postby JeffGalloway » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:41 pm

JeffGalloway Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:41 pm
I am using 1.02s and notice that when I put the sun close to the horizon and turn on glare and bloom that initially I get a really nice looking orange/red color in the glare and bloom. But as the render progresses the glare and bloom turn a nasty yellow, and then, a few minutes after that, start to shift towards yellow white. I can not achieve a nice reddish glare at sunset.

I have tried a similar setup in Octane Standalone (1.01 I believe) and do not see this same color shifting in sunset glare. It almost seem like the Saturate_to_white feature is kicking in - but I've made sure this was turned off.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

And THANKS!!!! faceoff... this plugin rocks!
JeffGalloway
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: 1.02s Question about sunsets

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

face_off Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm
Hi Jeff

I am 2hrs away from releasing the fixed 1.11 build, which contains a number of changes to the daylight model - so may I suggest installing that version and then seeing if the issue you describe persists?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby JeffGalloway » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 pm

JeffGalloway Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 pm
Well, I've checked it out with the new version (1.11u) and the problem is still there.

Let me post a image to illustrate (it may take a second or two to load)...

What concerns me is that the bloom/glare looses all it's warm reddish orange color and fades to the point where it is very weak and white-ish.

I have tried this with Direct Light, Pathtracing & PMC, and I have let in run out to 12,000 sample and the color remains unchanged from the 1,000 sample example.

Any idea what might be causing this or how I might correct it.

(P.S. I have included the last image as a color reference only and I realize that the exposure is significantly different.)
JeffGalloway
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 pm

face_off Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 pm
Hi Jeff

I am not sure what is causing this. However you can tweak the postproc and imager settings to compensate without the render restarting, so you should be able to let the render run to 1000 samples, then set postproc and imager to get the look you are after.

Does that help?

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby JeffGalloway » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 pm

JeffGalloway Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 pm
I tried your suggestion and the problem persisted. The bloom/glow gets a lot of color drained out of it whether I turn in on a 1 sample or 5000. (If I turn it on at 5000 it just appears weak in color, it doesn't cycle through red/orange to yellow to pale white.

The problem also persists in 11.1u. It's killing me to see these nice, rich, photographic sunsets get washed out to a pale version of their former glory!

If we are not able to discover the cause, would you be opposed to me posting the issue under General Discussion?

Thanks
JeffGalloway
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 pm

face_off Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 pm
Hi Jeff - it's highly unlikely this is specific to the Poser plugin - it looks like a general OctaneRender issue. So yes - pls post in the General Discussion forum.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser