OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02r [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02r [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.02r [TEST]

Postby Ken1171 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 am

Ken1171 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 am
Ken, on further inspection, this appears to be working correctly. The screen shot you've provided is showing 2_SkinHip, but the Octane node in the screen shot is 2_SkinTorso. Would it be possible to send a screenshot where the materials are the same? And pls rightclick the material in the Material tab of the plugin and "Re-Import this material from Poser" first.

Ok, here it is. The results were the same. One question: when the plugin re-imports a material node from Poser, is it getting the info from the actual Poser material or the nodes it had previously stored along with it?

I also have a suggestion for the next update. How hard would it be to add one more option in the materials context menu: paste to all nodes that share the same texture maps? For example, torso, head, neck, hip and nipples all share the exact same texture maps, so editing one node (e.g., "skinTorso" use the same diffuse, specular and bump texture maps) should also help updating head, neck, hip and nipples without having to paste the node 1-by-1 manually. This way I could setup all skin nodes for any UNIMESH figure in only 3 steps - setting the skinTorso, skinArms and skinFace. That would be really useful. ^^
Attachments
LostSpecMap2.jpg
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 pm

mlru Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 pm
in addition to the import issue:
I have some difficulties understanding the preset for an emitting material.
I thought, putting a color (eg white) and value (1.0) into Poser's ambient value would produce an emitter in the plugin, but it doesn't. I found nothing about that in the manual or the octanesettings.py file, so am i getting something wrong here?
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:50 pm

face_off Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:50 pm
Ok, here it is. The results were the same. One question: when the plugin re-imports a material node from Poser, is it getting the info from the actual Poser material or the nodes it had previously stored along with it?

It will read it from the nodes stored in the Poser Material (if there are any). The next version has an option to delete any store nodes. Maybe that is your issue? Do you have stored nodes on those materials?

[EDIT: I just looked at the material screenshot, and you do, so I think that is the issue. Select all the node and delete them and then re-convert].

I also have a suggestion for the next update. How hard would it be to add one more option in the materials context menu: paste to all nodes that share the same texture maps? For example, torso, head, neck, hip and nipples all share the exact same texture maps, so editing one node (e.g., "skinTorso" use the same diffuse, specular and bump texture maps) should also help updating head, neck, hip and nipples without having to paste the node 1-by-1 manually. This way I could setup all skin nodes for any UNIMESH figure in only 3 steps - setting the skinTorso, skinArms and skinFace. That would be really useful. ^^

You can do it in one step at the moment - stepup one skin material and "copy" it, then "paste to all skin materials" (menu option when you rightclick a mesh).

Uwe...
I thought, putting a color (eg white) and value (1.0) into Poser's ambient value would produce an emitter in the plugin, but it doesn't. I found nothing about that in the manual or the octanesettings.py file, so am i getting something wrong here?

The threshold is > 1 (ie. 1.001 and above will trigger an Octane emitter material). It was one for a while, but there are too many Poser materials with dark ambient color but an ambient_value of 1, which really shouldn't be emitters. The ambient_value will translate to the emitter power (so you'll be looking at numbers in the 2-50 range). This was covered in the release notes, but changed a few times - sorry for the confusion.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm

mlru Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm
face_off wrote:Uwe...

The threshold is > 1 (ie. 1.001 and above will trigger an Octane emitter material). It was one for a while, but there are too many Poser materials with dark ambient color but an ambient_value of 1, which really shouldn't be emitters. The ambient_value will translate to the emitter power (so you'll be looking at numbers in the 2-50 range). This was covered in the release notes, but changed a few times - sorry for the confusion.

Paul

Ah, I KNEW there was a trick! :D
Thanks, Paul!
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ken1171 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 pm

Ken1171 Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 pm
It will read it from the nodes stored in the Poser Material (if there are any). The next version has an option to delete any store nodes. Maybe that is your issue? Do you have stored nodes on those materials?

That was it - the plugin was not getting the specular maps because it was not in the stored shader nodes when the plugin created them. Deleting the stored nodes in Poser allowed the new maps to be loaded in the plugin - finally! :D

You can do it in one step at the moment - stepup one skin material and "copy" it, then "paste to all skin materials" (menu option when you rightclick a mesh).

Awesome! I didn't see that option, but now that I know the work so much faster! ^________^

I am also having issues when Octane renderer will not start a render job. I remember there was something about having a light selected in Poser, but even if I select something else, the rendering will not start. Is there an order to do things in this case?
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm

face_off Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm
I am also having issues when Octane renderer will not start a render job. I remember there was something about having a light selected in Poser, but even if I select something else, the rendering will not start. Is there an order to do things in this case?

If the render needs a kick-start, click the Reset button in the Cuda Devices tab. I have a suspicion that if you leave the plugin open for a long time (overnight?), some cards terminate the rendering thread, so when you open the Viewport nothing happens.
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am

mlru Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am
face_off wrote: I have a suspicion that if you leave the plugin open for a long time (overnight?), some cards terminate the rendering thread, so when you open the Viewport nothing happens.

It did happen to me some times when I open the plugin (not the render window) and work a while in the material settings before starting the rendering.
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ken1171 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Ken1171 Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 pm
face_off wrote:

If the render needs a kick-start, click the Reset button in the Cuda Devices tab. I have a suspicion that if you leave the plugin open for a long time (overnight?), some cards terminate the rendering thread, so when you open the Viewport nothing happens.

It has been happening quite often with lately - I start the plugin, change the lighting model, and try to render but nothing happens. Sometimes pressing the RESET button at the CUDA tab will help, sometimes it won't, and sometimes I will have to keep doing this over again in the same session.

Just for the record, this happens when I have just started Poser, loaded my scene, and opened the plugin. I never leave Poser or the plugin opened if I am not working on it, so the timing out the rendering thread cannot be a cause in my case.

I am also having difficulties having the plugin acknowleging changes I did in the scene when AUTO UPDATE is on. Changing morph dials will not always update, and adding objects to the scene will not update as well. In most cases reloading the entire scene in the plugin will help.

I noticed that if the plugin was using Daylight and I create a new IBL light in the Poser scene, and then change the plugin to Environment lighting and reload the scene, the plugin will not catch the new HDRI map. I usually have to load the map manually into the plugin. A similar thing happens when the plugin starts with Environment lighting and I create a new Infinite light in Poser. I have trouble trying to make the plugin recognize the new light when I change it to Daylight. Sometimes the plugin will also not update when I change the light position in Poser.

So my question (on the scene updating part) is: what is the expected way to handle changes in the Poser scene? Is there a different way to have changes done in the Poser scene when it involves loading new objects, changing the lights, or editing the morphs?
Ken1171
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm

face_off Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm
It has been happening quite often with lately - I start the plugin, change the lighting model, and try to render but nothing happens. Sometimes pressing the RESET button at the CUDA tab will help, sometimes it won't, and sometimes I will have to keep doing this over again in the same session.

Hi Ken - what card do you have? When you open the viewport, is it simply not rendering, or does it give you a Cuda error? Is your PC going to "sleep" prior to this occurring?

I am also having difficulties having the plugin acknowleging changes I did in the scene when AUTO UPDATE is on. Changing morph dials will not always update, and adding objects to the scene will not update as well. In most cases reloading the entire scene in the plugin will help.

Can you replicate this 100% of the time? If so, can you pls provide the exact steps taken to cause this to happen (since it''s not something I can reproduce)?

I noticed that if the plugin was using Daylight and I create a new IBL light in the Poser scene, and then change the plugin to Environment lighting and reload the scene, the plugin will not catch the new HDRI map. I usually have to load the map manually into the plugin.

So my question (on the scene updating part) is: what is the expected way to handle changes in the Poser scene? Is there a different way to have changes done in the Poser scene when it involves loading new objects, changing the lights, or editing the morphs?[/quote]
As with all materials, the HDRI map is only transferred to the plugin when it is initially creating the Octane nodes for the scene. Once they are created, the Octane nodes are the "master" copy, and do not pick up changes in the original Poser scene. The rules is, if the plugin allows you to modify a value (ie material settings, HDRI environment map), then changing it in Poser will not automatically re-transfer it to the plugin. If you cannot change a value in the plugin (ie. camera position), then changing that parameter in Poser WILL re-transfer it. Doing it any other way would cause your Octane settings to get over-written by Poser all the time.
A similar thing happens when the plugin starts with Environment lighting and I create a new Infinite light in Poser. I have trouble trying to make the plugin recognize the new light when I change it to Daylight. Sometimes the plugin will also not update when I change the light position in Poser.

I just checked this, and you do need to move the Daylight once in order for the daylight position to transfer to the Octane daylight position. I will fix this.

If you have a particular problem, test it on a simple scene and see if it is replicateable, and then provide me the exact steps takes to get the problem. Then I can reproduce it here and provide a fix.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mlru » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 am

mlru Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 am
Would it be possible to have a "Paste to all materials of this figure" option? Really would be come in handy on some objects...

OT: Man, I hate that you can't rename the materials in Poser. :evil:
A "paste this to all materials named preview" really isn't helpful... :roll:

Uwe
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser