When do we get an updated version?

Forums: When do we get an updated version?
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

When do we get an updated version?

Postby Lightray » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:38 am

Lightray Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:38 am
I have been hoping for an improved and updated release of this plug in. The present version often fails to render and when it does, it often crashes during the process. When will we see an improved version?
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: When do we get an updated version?

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 am

face_off Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 am
I have been hoping for an improved and updated release of this plug in. The present version often fails to render and when it does, it often crashes during the process. When will we see an improved version?

If you don't report these issues, I do not know to fix them (since there have been no other reports of crashes)! Can you pls provide details of when it crashes, and the octaneplugin.log file for that crash.

What do you mean "fails to render"? Does it provide an error? If so, what is the error?

If it is crashing DURING a render, that is normally a graphics card failure. Which graphic card are you using? What is your graphics card temperature? (use GPU-Z to determine the temp). What CUDA drivers are you using? The forum rules request that uses state their hardware specs in their signature so that we can more easily diagnose issues?

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:40 am

face_off Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:40 am
The first msg at http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=27251 contains full details on how you can report any issues you are having. If you follow those guidelines I can address those issue in the next version (due next week).

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lightray » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Lightray Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm
It appears that my problem is that I only have one video card and I'm running three monitors. The error is always that the card has failed. I have a GTX650Ti video card.
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm

face_off Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm
Light, as per the post above, can you pls provide the following information...

- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Poser version (Poser -> Help -> About Poser) - list the build number (eg. 9.0.3.23027)
- OctaneRender for Plugin version (ie. 1.02q)
- Also have ready a copy of the octaneplugin.log and cuda.log file from your Poser temp direction (Poser -> Edit -> General Preferences -> Misc tab to find the temp directory)

Can you post a screenshot of the error pls?

Does your motherboard have an on-board graphics adapter?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lightray » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Lightray Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm
I have an HP with an i7 Quad core running Poser Pro 2012 version 9.0.3.2307 with 32 GB of ram and a GTX650Ti video card. No on board video.
The path is C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\Poser\9
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lightray » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Lightray Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 pm
Did a test render of this ship at 600 samples. The ship render time was 2:24 Rendered with a texture environment of a landscape. Adjusted exposure to compensate for the dark image.
The results look okay, but could be better.

I don't know why some models will render out okay if they are lower quality. Large poly count models cause the system to crash. I think it's just overwhelming the video card.
Attachments
frame00001.png
Rendered at 600 samples. Notice that the glass does not look very clean. A much longer render time will be required.
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 am

face_off Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 am
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Poser version (Poser -> Help -> About Poser) - list the build number (eg. 9.0.3.23027)
- OctaneRender for Plugin version (ie. 1.02q)
- Also have ready a copy of the octaneplugin.log and cuda.log file from your Poser temp direction (Poser -> Edit -> General Preferences -> Misc tab to find the temp directory)

Still looking for the above info in bold. How much VRAM has your video card got? If you put all that in your signature, that would help.

The results look okay, but could be better.

The whole concept of the plugin is that is allows you to tweak and fine tune the Octane materials. You will need to do that to get the best out of the Octane renderer.

Large poly count models cause the system to crash. I think it's just overwhelming the video card.

What message are you getting? Can you post a screenshot pls?
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lightray » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 am

Lightray Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 am
Everything on my system is up to date.. The plug in and the drivers for the video card. That was all done when I installed it.
I have all of the latest updated software for Poser and Windows.

I'm using the Plug in version 1.02

I understand that tweaking the setting is supposed to make the images better.. But it's a lot of trial and error, plus very time consuming. I don't like the interface at all. It's very difficult to see and work with even on an HD screen. The settings are not easy to use, and most of the time, there is a delay in the response time by the plug in which can take several minutes to show up in the render. I'm often getting the message that "Poser is not responding".

I often find the image on the render window being corrupted with prior images and it will take the system some time clear it. Don't know why that happens either.
Lightray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 am

face_off Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 am
Everything on my system is up to date.. The plug in and the drivers for the video card. That was all done when I installed it.
I have all of the latest updated software for Poser and Windows.

I'm using the Plug in version 1.02

There is 1.02p, q and r - I'm looking for which version you are on, because they all contain different (and hopefully improved) error checking.

I understand that tweaking the setting is supposed to make the images better.. But it's a lot of trial and error, plus very time consuming.

That is kind of the whole point to Octane - the ability to create materials that give knock-out results. How do you think Rikk did http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27920? It wasn't "load a mesh and click the render button". There is a process constructing your scene to use the best lighting and material settings to get the results you want. It's the same with the Poser standard rendering - you don't just load a figure, add a light and expect photo-quality.

most of the time, there is a delay in the response time by the plug in which can take several minutes to show up in the render. I'm often getting the message that "Poser is not responding".

I often find the image on the render window being corrupted with prior images and it will take the system some time clear it. Don't know why that happens either.

This is all symptomatic of running a reasonable size scene through a small video card and Windows needing to use the same graphics card as it's own adapter. Have you applied the registry settings recommended in http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=27251 under Troubleshooting? If you get a cheap second video card and use it as your Windows display adapter, you will be blown away with how much better Octane is.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Poser