Preview of OctaneRender for Cinema 4D

Forums: Preview of OctaneRender for Cinema 4D
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Preview of OctaneRender for Cinema 4D

Postby LudovicRouy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:30 pm

LudovicRouy Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:30 pm
Yessssss, very good news ! good job aoktar !
LudovicRouy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 pm

pixie Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 pm
So those using Cinema 4D and standalone from now one will be left out in the cold.
pixie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TonyBoy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:12 pm

TonyBoy Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:12 pm
My understanding is it will only involve buying the plugin if you already own the standalone.
TonyBoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm

abstrax Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm
pixie wrote:So those using Cinema 4D and standalone from now one will be left out in the cold.

Hey come on. The plugin isn't finished, not even close to it. Somehow always people think that when someone posts a preview of something on the forum that everything is almost there. I can assure you that's not the case. You will be able to buy the plugin, when the beta phase starts. The plugin is currently in a very early alpha state. And keep in mind the 90/90 rule:

"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."
—Tom Cargill, Bell Labs

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pixie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 am

pixie Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 am
It was not my intention, my concern is that the plugin which currently makes the bridge between Octane and Cinema ceases development, it's my concern because it's after all the option I rely on for Octane, and it was never on the table in the moment I'd acquired it. If I buy Octane for Cinema 4D what is after all the use I will have for stand alone? For new comer is all fine and dandy, for those who allowed octane to be where it is now it seems a lesser deal.

My understanding is it will only involve buying the plugin if you already own the standalone.

So it will be otherwise free? :P
pixie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 am

abstrax Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 am
pixie wrote:It was not my intention, my concern is that the plugin which currently makes the bridge between Octane and Cinema ceases development, it's my concern because it's after all the option I rely on for Octane, and it was never on the table in the moment I'd acquired it. If I buy Octane for Cinema 4D what is after all the use I will have for stand alone? For new comer is all fine and dandy, for those who allowed octane to be where it is now it seems a lesser deal.

Ah I see, I got it wrong then. I will continue to provide irregular updates of the export plugin (I have been working on version 0.13 for some time on and off and I hope its release isn't far away), but it will never allow the workflow of an integration plugin. Octane will improve its I/O capability over time, but since most Octane users prefer a tight integration of Octane into their favorite 3D application, our focus will be in this area.

No, the integration plugin won't be for free since it's a lot of work for aoktar to develop it and to maintain it.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mauricesteenbergen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am

mauricesteenbergen Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am
abstrax wrote:
pixie wrote:It was not my intention, my concern is that the plugin which currently makes the bridge between Octane and Cinema ceases development, it's my concern because it's after all the option I rely on for Octane, and it was never on the table in the moment I'd acquired it. If I buy Octane for Cinema 4D what is after all the use I will have for stand alone? For new comer is all fine and dandy, for those who allowed octane to be where it is now it seems a lesser deal.

Hi Marcus,

I love your export plugin, and I'm really happy with my current workflow of modeling / animating in C4D, and texturing / styling in the Standalone version of Octane. It works perfectly, and eventhough the integrated solution seems like a perfect solution, there is something to be said about working in the Standalone version directly, I also feel that it will always have the newest features first. You can probably just drag new release candidates into an integrated solution, but I'm worried about stability first.

Please don't stop working on your C4D export plugin just because there is going to be an integrated solution, I'm sure there's plenty of people like me that rely on your solution. Thanks again for all your work on that one.
Render: Geforce GTX480 (EVGA) (1.5GB) | OC @ 1.0V / 750Mhz
Display: Geforce 8800GT (NVIDIA) (512MB)
mauricesteenbergen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 am

pixie Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 am
abstrax wrote:

Ah I see, I got it wrong then. I will continue to provide irregular updates of the export plugin (I have been working on version 0.13 for some time on and off and I hope its release isn't far away), but it will never allow the workflow of an integration plugin. Octane will improve its I/O capability over time, but since most Octane users prefer a tight integration of Octane into their favorite 3D application, our focus will be in this area.

No, the integration plugin won't be for free since it's a lot of work for aoktar to develop it and to maintain it.

Cheers,
Marcus

It makes sense, after all had I know I might as well waited for such a plugin, but could you please explain me what the use I have for standalone once I buy the cinema integrated one? And since all octane is heading that way the standalone pretty much looses its value, so the solution I have is to buy octane for cinema 4d and throw standalone in the bin.
pixie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am

abstrax Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 am
pixie wrote:It makes sense, after all had I know I might as well waited for such a plugin, but could you please explain me what the use I have for standalone once I buy the cinema integrated one? And since all octane is heading that way the standalone pretty much looses its value, so the solution I have is to buy octane for cinema 4d and throw standalone in the bin.

You will need a standalone license and a license for the plugin. One pays for the development of Octane the other for the plugin. A plugin alone doesn't render...

Cheers,
Marcus
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pixie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 am

pixie Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 am
abstrax wrote:
pixie wrote:It makes sense, after all had I know I might as well waited for such a plugin, but could you please explain me what the use I have for standalone once I buy the cinema integrated one? And since all octane is heading that way the standalone pretty much looses its value, so the solution I have is to buy octane for cinema 4d and throw standalone in the bin.

You will need a standalone license and a license for the plugin. One pays for the development of Octane the other for the plugin. A plugin alone doesn't render...

Cheers,
Marcus

I though the plugin alone would be enough, my bad.
pixie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements