Need help with materials

Forums: Need help with materials
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Need help with materials

Postby scarecrow2k6 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:25 am

scarecrow2k6 Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:25 am
I hope this is the right place to post my question. Ok this is the scenario...I have a box and its a single object, I am trying to put different texture maps on each faces of the box. Check the pic below:

I am trying to put different texture on different sides or 1 texture on all 3 red dots, 1texture on all blue dots, 1 texture on all orange and so on.

So my actual question is is that possible with the current Octane version? If so can anyone please give me some tips on how to do that? Thanks.

p.s- I use 3ds Max, in Max you can just select any face from an object and assign a textureto that face and the rest of the object will remain original. I hope all the stuff I said made sense :)
scarecrow2k6

Re: Need help with materials

Postby EricDesign » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:27 am

EricDesign Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:27 am
scarecrow2k6 wrote:I hope this is the right place to post my question. Ok this is the scenario...I have a box and its a single object, I am trying to put different texture maps on each faces of the box. Check the pic below:

I am trying to put different texture on different sides or 1 texture on all 3 red dots, 1texture on all blue dots, 1 texture on all orange and so on.

So my actual question is is that possible with the current Octane version? If so can anyone please give me some tips on how to do that? Thanks.

p.s- I use 3ds Max, in Max you can just select any face from an object and assign a textureto that face and the rest of the object will remain original. I hope all the stuff I said made sense :)

you need to assign all material in max not in octane ;)
so if you have 5 plane you need 5 different material assignment in max :)
i5 7400 / 2 x GTX980Ti / 32gig ram

http://ericdesign.info
EricDesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby scarecrow2k6 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:44 pm

scarecrow2k6 Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:44 pm
Hi Eric,
No my scene has one object not several planes, a box with 5 faces. Is it possible to assign different materials to the same object but on different faces?
scarecrow2k6

Postby radiance » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm

radiance Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm
scarecrow2k6 wrote:Hi Eric,
No my scene has one object not several planes, a box with 5 faces. Is it possible to assign different materials to the same object but on different faces?

you need to assign different materials to your faces in your 3d host app,
then export with the different materials.
once they are assigned and existing after import in octane, you can tune them as you want.

if you plan to use textures you will also need to uv map them propperly before export in your 3d app.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion