OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00p [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00p [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00p [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 am

face_off Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 am
IMPORTANT: We have re-numbered the releases in order to be more in line with Octane Standalone. This release supersedes 1.01d. - and is the current STABLE and DEVELOPMENT build.

This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for Poser, build 1.00p.

In the unlikely event that you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Poser version (Poser -> Help -> About Poser) - list the build number (eg. 9.0.3.23027)
- Also have ready a copy of the octaneplugin.log and cuda.log file from your Poser temp direction (Poser -> Edit -> General Preferences -> Misc tab to find the temp directory)

I will be posting updates to the plugin as required, which will be reported in this thread.

Change Log for release 1.00p
- Renumbered release to be in line with Octane Standalone
- Added "scale" to textures such as "turbulence" was that all 3 dimensions of the scale can be adjusted. The is not currently a facility to adjust the rotation at this point
- If you click a float, int or floattexture tree item, you can mousewheel scroll to move the slider. Only works for single value nodes, and only works while the slider value is selected
- Turning on alphachannel is now rendering correctly in the viewport. There is still a slight border between the alpha and non-alpha, however this is not in the saved render
- New color picker added. Click on the color button to access a popup. Render will continue and can restarted as you tweak the R, G and B. Click pick color to pick a color from the screen (press space or enter to select the color and exit color pick mode)
- Loading or generating a transform now pauses rendering. It will continue (if it wasn't paused) once the load/generate is complete
- Fixed issue where 32 bit library was not loading
- Fixed issue where partially uv mapped props where not loading

If you have questions....
- Read the manual
- Read the FAQ
- Watch the Features Video
- Read the Features Blog Posting
- Watch the Introductory Tutorial
- Check the Facebook Page
- Post your question on this forum thread

Troubleshooting
- GUI issues (lock-up/crash) on large scenes (ie. 4million polys) - potentially due to the Windows Vista/7 "Timeout Detection and Recovery" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx[url][/url]. Settings can be changed using Regedit. The recommended setting for Octane are registry setting HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers, TdrLevel = 3, TdrDelay =10 (if these settings are not already there, rightclick the right panel -> New -> DWORD). You will need to reboot after changing these settings.

Limitations
- Loading a Poser scene by double-clicking a pz3 file in the Windows file explorer, or selecting from your "Recent Files" will not load the previously saved Octane scene data for that file when Poser starts. This is due to a Poser bug which has been reported to Smith Micro. Instead, use the Poser menu File -> Open to open any pz3 files which contain Octane scene data.
- Material Picking (by clicking on a material in the Poser Material Room) does not select that material in the OctaneRender material tab if you have a camera selected in the Parameter Dials window.
- If you delete a duplicated figure in Poser, when next reloading the scene, the figures may have been renamed, in which case the plugin will not have loaded the materials for the rename figure correctly. This has been reported as a big to Smith Micro and will be fixed.

Download the plugin HERE

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00p [CURRENT]

Postby mlru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 pm

mlru Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 pm
Bug with the color picker:
If you click on 'Pick' and then on 'Cancel' the picking mode stays active in some way (the color in the color indicator field changes when you move the mouse over the screen)
Closing the viewport and clicking on poser's UI results then in an error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Programme\CGI\Poser\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.9.1-msw\wx\_misc.py", line 1364, in Notify
self.notify()
File "D:\Programme\CGI\Poser\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.9.1-msw\wx\_core.py", line 16393, in Notify
self.result = self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 2364, in TimerColorPick
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 2401, in setSliders
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 2411, in setColorBar
File "D:\Programme\CGI\Poser\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.9.1-msw\wx\_core.py", line 16237, in __getattr__
raise PyDeadObjectError(self.attrStr % self._name)
wx._core.PyDeadObjectError: The C++ part of the Button object has been deleted, attribute access no longer allowed.

I think, the 'online' color changing and the picking feature are really nice, but the color picker itself is very, well, academic. Yes, you see the color change whern you move the sliders, but it's very abstract. At least a color panel is missing where you can pick other colors than currently displayed on your monitor...

Uwe
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:01 am

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:01 am
I have re-uploaded 1.00p - so if you are already on this version, pls redownload and install it for the following fixes:

- "Select Image File" now picks up all Poser files from all nodes in the Poser Materials (not just texture, bump and trans).
- Adjusted the width of the filenames in the "Select Image File" combo boxes (they are now shorter).
- When "color picking" from the color popup, all ok/cancel/etc buttons are disabled, so <space> or <enter> MUST be used to exit color pick mode (fixes Uwe's issue above)
- Fixed issue where loading a pz3 file would sometimes not load the Octane materials that were previously saved

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Zay » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am

Zay Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am
When clicking on Image File Statistics I get a Poser warning window popup.
"No handler found for image type."
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Zay Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm
Seems the warning only happens when using a hdr image for the environment.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm

face_off Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm
When clicking on Image File Statistics I get a Poser warning window popup.
"No handler found for image type."

Hi Zay - this message is displayed from Poser rather than the plugin, and is raised when Poser tries to find the size of a HDR image. I will try to suppress the message, however it may require a Poser patch - and I've reported this issue to Smith Micro. The LDR filesize/number calculation is uneffected by this message.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am

vipvip Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am
Hi, Paul

you can find attached 2 commented pictures, with suggestions ( as usual, it's my personnal view, nothing absolute...), and as usal another 'test' render, to make me forgiven for all these troubles :) .

I confirm to you the feeling i had before: with the latest 1.00p version, there is some intempestive render-refresh ( i'm on multiscreen workstation with 2 gtx580, only 1 is active on side-screen when tweaking materials ): it happens particulary when the mouse cursor is moving over the poser main camera viewport, but not systematicaly: strange.
Idem, the auto-material selection when clicking a geometry doesn't function every time: sometimes yes, sometimes no, perhaps because hard-calculation of CPU but i'm not sure of this reason, i've some further test to do with lighter scenes...

One thing which is not intuitive, the custom camera resolutio: each time , i'm searching it during minutes (it is on the octane render viewport, and not on the main tweaking viewport, i can't rember this each time...)

other thing, sometime, i wan't to reset environment settings or camera setting, so naturally, right-click for this but it resets all settings when you don't care: annoying when tweaking with accuraty environment lightning for example...

Last thing very important: when i create a presonnal props library, the octane materials are not memorised with: i didn't consult the PDF but perhaps it is a planned feature: it would be so usefull !,

That's all for today ;) !

Regards

Vincent
Attachments
poser_octane_suggest_03b.JPG
poser_octane_suggest_03a.JPG
winecolors.jpg
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 am

face_off Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 am
Hi Vincent - I am totally blown away with your renders! They are fantastic.

I confirm to you the feeling i had before: with the latest 1.00p version, there is some intempestive render-refresh ( i'm on multiscreen workstation with 2 gtx580, only 1 is active on side-screen when tweaking materials ): it happens particulary when the mouse cursor is moving over the poser main camera viewport, but not systematicaly: strange.

Do you mean the render restarts for no reason? I'd be interested if you can see a pattern. Does that happen when "Auto Refresh" is ON or OFF?

Idem, the auto-material selection when clicking a geometry doesn't function every time: sometimes yes, sometimes no, perhaps because hard-calculation of CPU but i'm not sure of this reason, i've some further test to do with lighter scenes...

If you select a figure/prop in Poser, that figure/prop should be selected in the Material tree. If (in the Poser Material Room) you select a material, it should select that figure/prop and material in the Material tree. The Material Room material pick does not work when you have a Camera selected in the Parameter Dials. Also, a "material pick" event is only triggered when you pick a DIFFERENT material - so if you go into the Material Room, the current material will not pick in the Material tab unless you pick another material in the Material Room first.

Also, I have noticed on rare occasions the prop/figure picking not working, but it's never happened long enough for me to track the issue down.

One thing which is not intuitive, the custom camera resolutio: each time , i'm searching it during minutes (it is on the octane render viewport, and not on the main tweaking viewport, i can't rember this each time...)

The Octane resolution is "Locked" to the Viewport Size by default (so you drag the window size to change the resolution), so the resolution sliders are not available in the settings tree. However if you click the "Resolution Lock" button in the Viewport windows, you can then change the resolution in the Settings tree. You can also change the default resolution in the OctaneDefaults.py file.

other thing, sometime, i wan't to reset environment settings or camera setting, so naturally, right-click for this but it resets all settings when you don't care: annoying when tweaking with accuraty environment lightning for example...

At the moment you can reset the resoluton back to defaults via the rightclick menu. I'll add menu items to reset the other items (camera, imager, kernel) to default in the next version.

Last thing very important: when i create a presonnal props library, the octane materials are not memorised with: i didn't consult the PDF but perhaps it is a planned feature: it would be so usefull !,

Once you have your Octane material all set, you can save that material to file using the rightclick menu. However a better way to do it is to save that material to the Poser material (again, via the rightclick menu on a material - see image below). This menu item saves all the Octane material definition into the Poser material (as disconnected nodes). So you can then either save the Figure/Prop and the Octane material is saved with the figure/prop. So when you next load that figure/prop, the Octane settings that were saved will be reloaded. You can also save the Poser Material as a MAT pose (ie. just save the material spec in the Poser library).

Resize settings window : Will be in the next version.

Color Pick Sliders : I should be able to implement your request in the next version too.

Keep the renders coming Vincent!

Paul
Attachments
savematerial.png
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:05 pm

vipvip Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:05 pm
I Paul

i'm happy you find the pictures great: you know, of course Octane and your plugin are essential, but the other important thing, for this kind of picture, is the way of modeling the objects ( these glasses and liquids are the result of a long research ( i work a lot of wine pictures, photographs and film for my job ), because it is very important to pay attention with the details, specialy for the borders of the glasses and the very small curvature of the liquids, for good reflection/refraction effects andray-light behaviour: Illustrator ( for shapes design ) and Blender for 'solidifying' them are very powerfull and intuitive tools for doing that... But shhht, it is a secret ;) )

"I'd be interested if you can see a pattern. Does that happen when "Auto Refresh" is ON or OFF"
-> yes it is when auto refresh is activated

Thank you for all the advices you gave: it's is highly appreciated and i'll have a look to this when having time

Regards

Vincent
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:56 am

vipvip Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:56 am
hi,

just coming from the standalone test release topic and they just released the 1.01 test-release version, which has a bunch of new very cool features (lens flare-glare / importance of environment lightning, better Pathtracing and many others )...

Paul, can we expect on a new plugin integrating those features ( perhaps not with this test realease but with the next stable one, if you feel to integrate directly this , don't hesitate ;) and would you have date for this ?).Because it will be quite impossible for me to come back to the standalone exporter after degusting your plugin !

The other feature i'm dreaming of, would be a real native object/deformation motion blur, but apparently, Octane is not ready for this at this point...

I just tried your advice for applying octane material on meshes then saving them as props and it works ! The re-imported objects from props lib. contains the octane material: it is a great step forward in the use of octane/poser, thanks a lot

I did more tests about mesh picking in the poser viewport and highlighting the corresponding material: same results than before: sometimes it works, sometimes not: i gather it should be particulary the case with duplicated object, not sure, to confirm, but it is a way i'll pay attention for... For some scenes, i never encountered this problem... i'll have a further look to your suggestions about materials, and so on: the problem is: we can have 2 similar duplicated one-piece-objects ( ie, 2 glass wine, for one-piece, i mean liguid and glass are integrated in the same mesh geometry, like an OBJ imported one...), with the SAME glass material but DIFFERENT liquid material: is this case, the autoselection is confused

Vincent
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser