OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [OBSOLETE]

Postby face_off » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 am

face_off Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for Poser, build 1.01d, which is the test/development version of the plugin.

In the event that you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version (ie. 300.00)
- Poser version (Poser -> Help -> About Poser) - list the build number (eg. 9.0.3.23000)
- Also have ready a copy of the octaneplugin.log and cuda.log file from your Poser temp direction (Poser -> Edit -> General Preferences -> Misc tab to find the temp directory)

Change Log from 1.01c to 1.01d
- The Texture types combo box is now sorted alphabetically
- Genesis (DAZ DSON Import) is now supported. If there is a SubD actor with > 0 vertices in the figure, it will be treated as a prop (so the base cage is ignored).
- Snarly's subd meshes are now working again
- Fixed issue where generating transforms was not truely "random"
- Added support for \\ and / folder separators in image filenames
- Image File Open - now includes a combo box with the most recent images accessed (which may no longer be in the scene)
- Image File Open - combo boxes now display part of the folder the image belows to
- Compiled against Octane 1.0
- All Cuda/Octane errors are now trapped and recorded in cuda.log (in the Poser temp directory). The log file is wiped each time you start Poser.
- Mouseover the Viewport button status window to see Video card FREE memory
- If your video card has < 20Mb free, a warning is displayed at the top of the viewport and the available memory is displayed
- Added new rightclick option in the Render Options List to reset the render resolution to the default
- Fixed slider operation when clicking left or right of the slider button
- Fixed a bug when copying glossy materials with texturemaps in their specularity pin
- Improved stability when refreshing scenes whilst a render is running
- Added rightclick material option (for meshes) to paste the copied material into ALL SKIN MATERIALS
- Resolved an issue where figures with no goemetry caused an exception
- Add script to compress texturemaps (very experiemental). In summary, it will compress texturemaps to jpg format and place them in your Poser temp directory and update the Poser Material room to point to the compressed maps. Then run the plugin (and re-import the materials from Poser if needed).

If you have questions....
- Read the manual
- Read the FAQ
- Watch the Features Video
- Read the Features Blog Posting
- Watch the Introductory Tutorial
- Check the Facebook Page
- Post your question on this forum thread

Known Issues with this Test Version
None!

Limitations
- Loading a Poser scene by double-clicking a pz3 file in the Windows file explorer, or selecting from your "Recent Files" will not load the previously saved Octane scene data for that file when Poser starts. This is due to a Poser bug which has been reported to Smith Micro. Instead, use the Poser menu File -> Open to open any pz3 files which contain Octane scene data.
- Material Picking (by clicking on a material in the Poser Material Room) does not select that material in the OctaneRender material tab if you have a camera selected in the Parameter Dials window.

Download the plugin HERE

Hope you enjoy using the plugin!

Paul
Last edited by face_off on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.01d [TEST]

Postby mlru » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 am

mlru Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 am
- Added rightclick material option (for meshes) to paste the copied material into ALL SKIN MATERIALS

How exactly is that defined - or better said: what makes a material a SKIN material?
And what if there are more than one figures with different skin materials?
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am

vipvip Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am
hi

i've just bought the plugin and it seems very promising, congrats !

After a first look, just 2 questions:

-1- is it possible to have directly sliders aside the function to tweak, instead of opening each time the function to tweak it ? it would be much more smooth in the creation workflow...

-2- is it possible or planned to see directly the color changing on rendering when draging over the color panel, instead of closing the window to see the result and reopen it again to tweak again and so on...

Thanks
Vincent
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vipvip » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 pm

vipvip Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 pm
Hi again

after more tests, 2 things:

* do you plan to add "float 3" parameter for texture scaling ?

* there is a bug when rendering with both "alpha enable " and "keep environment" functions enabled. ( look at the picture attached)
but even without environment alpha seem to be buggy

regards

my machine: win7 64 / latest nvidia drivers / 2 x GTX580
Attachments
bug_octane_poser.JPG
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 am
How exactly is that defined - or better said: what makes a material a SKIN material?
And what if there are more than one figures with different skin materials?

The list of material names that are recognised as "Skin" is in the OctaneDefaults.py file. You can amend this if needed. The "paste" function will only paste the copied material into the skin materials of the Figure you are pasting too - all other figures should be untouched.
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am
-1- is it possible to have directly sliders aside the function to tweak, instead of opening each time the function to tweak it ? it would be much more smooth in the creation workflow...

Hi Vincent. I looked at this, however there were problems when there were 2 or 3 sliders for a node (ie. x, y and z), so for consistency I put them all in the lower node setting window. Another option could be a popup window containing the slider if you mouseover the tree item.

-2- is it possible or planned to see directly the color changing on rendering when draging over the color panel, instead of closing the window to see the result and reopen it again to tweak again and so on...

That is currently not possible, however one of the next enhancements to be made is a better color panel - and I like your suggestion of applying the new color without closing that window. I will add it to the list.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 am
* do you plan to add "float 3" parameter for texture scaling ?

I wasn't aware that float3 is a value parameter the scaling. Octane Standalone only allows float and float2. So I do not believe it would be possible to add a third dimension to texture scaling (and I'm not sure how that would be used).

* there is a bug when rendering with both "alpha enable " and "keep environment" functions enabled. ( look at the picture attached) but even without environment alpha seem to be buggy

You are right Vincent - I had not noticed this before. The bug is in the DISPLAY ONLY, and if you save to PNG/EXR the problem is not present on the saved image. I will fix this in the next version.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby p3taoctane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 am

p3taoctane Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 am
Gidday Paul,

Couple of emitter instances.

I notice in 1.01d when I click on resolution in the plugin window I no longer can alter the values... is this a new thing with a different place to resize the window, a bug on my end... or something new in d?

Thanks mate
Attachments
Emitt_II.jpg
EmitOne.jpg
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 am

face_off Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 am
Wow - Peter - believable renders!!! (I'll post those on the FB page if you don't mind - low rez).

Have you tried the caustic slider on renders like this? Does is take out the graininess?

I notice in 1.01d when I click on resolution in the plugin window I no longer can alter the values... is this a new thing with a different place to resize the window, a bug on my end... or something new in d?

If you are not resolution locked, the resolution is controlled by dragging the viewport. The default is NOT res locked. So open the viewport and click res lock, then the res sliders and edit boxes are available in the settings tree. This is not ideal IMO - but robust. It stops the situation where the user enters a resolution size larger than their screen and then opens the viewport.
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby p3taoctane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 am

p3taoctane Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 am
Anytime.. help yourself mate.
I was not resolution locked... good feature I'll try that next time.

I'll try that caustic slider on another render and let you know. I must admit sometimes I do like it when it looks like you shot it with an old film with a fast ASA rating and looks all grainy. But that just shows how ancient I am aye : > ))

Thanks

Peter
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Poser