OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00n [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00n [OBSOLETE]
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender® for Poser beta - build 1.00n [CURRENT]

Postby Galatea » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Galatea Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 pm
face_off wrote:
I receive an error when attempting to launch the plugin when certain objects are included in a scene. I've successfully launched the plugin with a primitive loaded into the scene.

Galatea - would it be possible to email the prop to me at [email protected], and I'll find out what is causing the issue.

Paul

Unfortunately, I didn't create the prop causing the issue and it is no longer available from the creator.
Win 8.1 x64 | i7-6700 | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | GTX 980 TI 6GB | GTX 980 4GB | 32Gb RAM
Galatea
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Galatea » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Galatea Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:14 pm
face_off wrote:
Mine says 1/00m as well. I overwrote the old one and the size of the addon itself was different and newer. So I think Paul forgot to update the version number

Correct. I have re-uploaded the file. Pls re-download and install. Only the OctanePlugin.pyc file has changed.

Paul

It states the correct version now and the props that didn't work before now load without the plugin crashing. Thanks.
Win 8.1 x64 | i7-6700 | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | GTX 980 TI 6GB | GTX 980 4GB | 32Gb RAM
Galatea
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andrea1972 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 am

Andrea1972 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 am
The updated version 1.00n is significantly more stable, I tried out the scenes which gave me problems before and they all loaded without errors.

A couple of minor points I noticed :

- the resolution in the Octane Render Setup window is sometimes different from Poser resolution (for example, an 800x600 scene translated into an 808x611). I'm still not sure if there is a specific reason for this or if I'm doing something wrong, but i happened a few times

- if I make a figure or prop invisible, it is correctly not exported to Octane. But if I group figures and props under a Poser group item, and then I turn the group invisible (which means that all subitems disappear from the Poser scene), the contained items are still exported to Octane (probably because the scan routine evaluates the subitems even if the parent is invisible, which is right for all Poser objects except the groups)

- the last one is just a request : in the next release, would it be possible to make the Octane Render Setup window re-sizable? It would be convenient to have more space when working with a lot of items

All of these are really minor issues, I'm very happy with the plugin as it works now. I still have to experiment and get used to Octane materials, but overall this is a great product.
Andrea1972
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 am

face_off Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 am
The updated version 1.00n is significantly more stable, I tried out the scenes which gave me problems before and they all loaded without errors.

1.00n resolved the issue with meshes which have no uvs. But there is still an issue with meshes which are partially uv mapped, and we are testing a fix for that now. Should be available in the next day or so.

- the resolution in the Octane Render Setup window is sometimes different from Poser resolution (for example, an 800x600 scene translated into an 808x611). I'm still not sure if there is a specific reason for this or if I'm doing something wrong, but i happened a few times

You set the default resolutiion on the OctaneDefaults.py file. The installer has it set to 800x600. If you drag the size of the render viewport it will save the new resolution in the rendertarget node, and this will be saved with the scene and be the resolution the next time you open that scene. I just re-tested all the resolution functionality (although it was on 1.1) and it looked ok. If you get a reproduceable issue, let me know.

- if I make a figure or prop invisible, it is correctly not exported to Octane. But if I group figures and props under a Poser group item, and then I turn the group invisible (which means that all subitems disappear from the Poser scene), the contained items are still exported to Octane (probably because the scan routine evaluates the subitems even if the parent is invisible, which is right for all Poser objects except the groups)

This is a Poser error which I have reported to Smith Micro. To demonstrate, load Andy, load a box, parent the box to Andy's hand, make Andy invisible, open the Hierarchy window - you'll notice that whilst Andy is invisible, Andy's Body actor is still visible in the Hierarchy (and so is the box - so therefore OctaneRender thinks it's still visible). So to set the box invisible in OctaneRender, you need to set Andy Body invisible in the Hierarchy window (rather than ticking the Visible box on the Body actor).

- the last one is just a request : in the next release, would it be possible to make the Octane Render Setup window re-sizable? It would be convenient to have more space when working with a lot of items

I think that's a great idea and I'll add it to the list of potential enhancements. Probably won't make 1.1 (which is almost finalised).

All of these are really minor issues, I'm very happy with the plugin as it works now. I still have to experiment and get used to Octane materials, but overall this is a great product.

Yes - thankfully the plugin learning curve is small. But Octane offers so many features - there is a lot to take in. I've working with Octane for months now and still haven't touched many of the features (caustics, portals, all the cool lighting of interiors from sunlight thru windows, etc).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Michael314 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Michael314 Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 pm
Hi,
thanks a lot for the workaround with 3ds export/import, its works well for items which have been partially UV-mapped.

I found 2 minor problems with the 1.00n release:
Sometimes, there is an error message like this:
Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4340, in MenuSelectionCb
  File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4134, in findTextureMaps
  File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4127, in findTextureMapsIter
  File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4107, in findTextureMapsIter
NameError: global name 'dispalyError' is not defined

This could be just a simple typo.

Then, when changing the sun settings (directions etc.), the sliders don't work. Numbers have to be entered in the input boxes.

And finally one question / suggestion: Is there a way to use a "material picker" as in the standalone version? If not, it would be a great thing to have. Sometimes I do not know, what the material name is, especially when using prefab content.

Best regards,
Michael
Win XP 64 | GTX 580 (3 GB) | Core2Quad 2.83GHz (Q9550) | 8GB
Win7 Ultimate 64 | GTX 680 (4 GB) | Core i7 X980 | 24GB
Michael314
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Michael314 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Michael314 Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:15 pm
Michael314 wrote:And finally one question / suggestion: Is there a way to use a "material picker" as in the standalone version? If not, it would be a great thing to have. Sometimes I do not know, what the material name is, especially when using prefab content.

Hi,
I just found that the feature is already there! Clicking in the Poser preview window will select the appropriate material in the Plugin Material tab. Great, that's exactly what I needed!

Best regards,
Michael
Win XP 64 | GTX 580 (3 GB) | Core2Quad 2.83GHz (Q9550) | 8GB
Win7 Ultimate 64 | GTX 680 (4 GB) | Core i7 X980 | 24GB
Michael314
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm

face_off Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm
Hi Michael

Does look like I can't spell there! However the error was actually caused by the node validation process finding a node where the texturemap had not been set yet, so I need to fix that.

Then, when changing the sun settings (directions etc.), the sliders don't work. Numbers have to be entered in the input boxes.

I only ever use the sliders. Can you pls double check this?

I just found that the feature is already there! Clicking in the Poser preview window will select the appropriate material in the Plugin Material tab. Great, that's exactly what I needed!

Yes! You do however have to trigger a "material selection changed" event in Poser for it to work. So when you go into the Material Room, if the material you need is already selected, select another material and then the material you need to find in the tree.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 am

face_off Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 am
Sometimes, there is an error message like this:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4340, in MenuSelectionCb
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4134, in findTextureMaps
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4127, in findTextureMapsIter
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\OctaneRender for Poser\OctanePlugin.py", line 4107, in findTextureMapsIter
NameError: global name 'dispalyError' is not defined

Michael - I have been UNABLE to reproduce this error. Could you pls tell me if it happens again, and if it does - the steps you took to get the error.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Witpapier » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Witpapier Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 pm
EZ skin 2 with SSS. NOT WORKING!!
Hi there... I bought Octane with the Poser plug in 2 days ago. I cant seem to get the sss right. I read that some users get the results they expect when they use their v4 characters with the easyskin scrypt in poser and then exporting it to octane via poser plugin... its not working on my side. I was able to get awesome renders but more to the likes of Daz than the great sss look in poser. is there a Tutorial that i cannot find or should it be working as easy?

Please help!!!

Intel I5 2500k
16gig DDR3
Geforce GTX 570 oc Edition

Sorry my original post was at the wrong place:)
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 pm

face_off Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 pm
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Poser