Attempt to quick fog solution with Octane ...

Forums: Attempt to quick fog solution with Octane ...
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Attempt to quick fog solution with Octane ...

Postby enricocerica » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 am

enricocerica Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 am
Well using z-depth is indeed a good solution in postpro but I wanted something working at render time. A massive cube with a scattering material and volumetric would probably give the more reatistic result (I already used it with other render engines) but it whould take ages to render.

So as some as guess this tricky solution is based on several planes in front of the camera with a distance of about 4m between each of them, playing with the opacity you could control the fog fx. As the planes are not parralel to the camera you can see one of them in the left part as icelaglace mentioned it.

Well this is indeed very tricky but really fast, this image was rendered in about 15 min with DL in 1600px.

More to come ...
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paoloverona » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:51 am

paoloverona Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:51 am
enricocerica wrote:Well using z-depth is indeed a good solution in postpro but I wanted something working at render time. A massive cube with a scattering material and volumetric would probably give the more reatistic result (I already used it with other render engines) but it whould take ages to render.

So as some as guess this tricky solution is based on several planes in front of the camera with a distance of about 4m between each of them, playing with the opacity you could control the fog fx. As the planes are not parralel to the camera you can see one of them in the left part as icelaglace mentioned it.

Well this is indeed very tricky but really fast, this image was rendered in about 15 min with DL in 1600px.

More to come ...

really good and fast way to simulate fog directly at render time, but probably (considering the time for setting-up the position of the different palnes and then adjust their opacity for reaching the "best result".....could be even fast (maybe faster), as Roubal suggest, with the Z-depth, isn't it?
intel i7 3820 3.6GHz, 16Gb 1600Hz, windows 7 professional 64bit, gtx 580 3Gb x2, Octane 3dsMax 2.58
paoloverona
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 pm

ROUBAL Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 pm
In the past, I used the trick of multiple planes in Blender for a long street perspective. I placed the different planes between the buildings, so no visible joint were visible. The planes were not numerous, and the render was fast. Faster than Blender built-in mist if I remember well.

I also tried many close planes with a 3D cloud texture before volumetric materials have been added in Blender, for an animated view from an airplane chasing an other one through a cloudy sky : Huge render time, and the planes had to track the camera, or be parented to the camera and using global coordinates. Some weird shift effects of the texture were sometimes noticeable. :roll:
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

manalokos Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm
Yes, you need a volume, but when you have a plane in front of the camera the volume is infinite! =)

TBFX wrote:
manalokos wrote:for fog you don't need a massive cube but only a tiny plane in front of the camera with a specular material and scattering node.

NICE! I'd always thought you needed a volume as the scattering medium didn't work without one, but that works a treat!

T.
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 pm

ROUBAL Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 pm
Yes, you need a volume, but when you have a plane in front of the camera the volume is infinite! =)

It is the reason why when using a specular transparent material for glass it is important to create thick glass. Mainly for cars with curved windows, otherwise the whole car looks like filled with glass and looks like a giant magnifier !

Simple glossy material doesn't show this problem and simple planes are often sufficient for ordinary windows.
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gueoct » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:42 pm

gueoct Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:42 pm
manalokos wrote:for fog you don't need a massive cube but only a tiny plane in front of the camera with a specular material and scattering node.

i am not sure if that works. normally the fog gets denser with increasing distance from the Camera.
I normally use the ZDepth Channel to create that effect.
Never tried an actual volume...
Intel i7-970 @3,20 GHz / 24 GB RAM / 3 x EVGA GTX 580 - 3GB
gueoct
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Refracty Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 pm
enricocerica wrote:As the planes are not parralel to the camera you can see one of them in the left part as icelaglace mentioned it.

Even if the planes would be parallel to the camera you would see them cutting through ond some objects.
For me Z-Depth would be the way to go but these tests are really worth to go and I appreciate your time sharing you experiemention.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TBFX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm

TBFX Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm
gueoct wrote:i am not sure if that works. normally the fog gets denser with increasing distance from the Camera.

Yeah it works, and gives a true light scattering volume that can also obscure with depth but it is really slow to converge and I wouldn't use it for outdoor scenes, I'd use z-depth just like every one else. But for expansive indoor and/or self lit scenes it will give a far superior atmosphere to z-depth if you can stand the render time. I did a large spacecraft hanger scene for a short film late last year in the first version of Octane that had SSS and it worked great but was really slow. Unfortunately until that film is finished I cannot post the scene here, but here is a test scene I did recently to test a volume I'd set up before I knew a plane in front of camera extending outside your view would act as an infinite volume.
D0-5_S1_A0-05.jpg

You can't do that with z-depth.

T.
Win10 x64|i7-9750H 2.6 GHz|32 GB RAM | RTX2080 max Q 8GB
TBFX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enricocerica » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am

enricocerica Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am
Yep,

Z-depth is for sure the best solution if we consider it at postpro, it would than be great if this process could be integrated during the render time ...
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Proupin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Proupin Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm
I think it would be great if we could set a material on the camera, like some sort of "medium material", a material where the camera would be in. Underwater scenes would be as simple as plugging a water material to this slot, the same with fog
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to M is for Metaverse Gallery