The Foundrys Nuke

Forums: The Foundrys Nuke
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

The Foundrys Nuke

Postby Shaolee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 am

Shaolee Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 am
Are there any plans for making Octane Render for Nuke? There is a scanline renderer in Nuke. There are also a couple of plugin renderers. Nuke could really benefit from a fast GPU renderer such as Octane. Today I go through Softimage and render from there. Doing all the "look work" in one application can be a real time saver. Since Nuke is the most widely used compositing software I believe this to potentially be a big untapped market for Octane.

Anyone else have an opinion about this?
Shaolee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: The Foundrys Nuke

Postby Pacific88 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:37 am

Pacific88 Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:37 am
nuke cooperated with modo and his render engine..
so stupid step for foundry.
the best way for nuke is integration with Octane..
this makes nuke god..
but they don't know about it :)
Pacific88
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby IMPICHMENT » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 pm

IMPICHMENT Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 pm
Pacific88 wrote:nuke cooperated with modo and his render engine..
so stupid step for foundry.
the best way for nuke is integration with Octane..
this makes nuke god..
but they don't know about it :)

Modo is a very powerful tool it includes the production renderer - with great potential. Octane Render yet is not.
Perhaps chaosgroup prepares Vray for The Foundrys Nuke.
And to compete with such a powerful product no sense at all!
Cinema4D R14.|Octane Stand | Octane for C4D next Corona render
Win8 [64]. I7 3930K . GTX580
IMPICHMENT
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sleg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 am

sleg Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 am
Hi. I'm a happy owner of Octane standalone and Octane for Maya. I'm currently using Octane for Maya on Linux. I have to agree wholeheartedly with the idea of bringing Octane to Nuke. Nuke's current scanline renderer is very slow and of poor quality. People have attempted to bring other renderers to it in the past, such as 3Delight or even Houdini's Mantra renderer.
I have asked the Foundry multiple times on whether or not they were planning on scrapping scanline and replacing it with the Modo renderer. The only answer I got was that they were planning on "improving the Nuke renderer". Which is a nice way to say, "we're not telling you".

Anyway. I work at a large VFX studio by day and mess around with short films at night. At home I certainly do not have the kind of render power I'm used to at work. Which is why I turned to Octane. Last year I was working on a project that needed a rather complex landscape. Initially I approached it the way I would at work, which was to render everything straight out of Mantra. I simply couldn't do that at home on my single workstation. So I decided to render a few frames of my landscape and project them in Nuke and render it that way. Sure I was going to lose a bit of quality (and I had to render high spec surfaces separately anyway) but I still hoping to gain speed. I was wrong. The scanline renderer is so bad that it was taking almost the same time for it to render a single projection object with a flat shader than Mantra did calculating indirect and rendering the full thing. Weak...

So I would like to post this as my plea to you guys to bring your kick-ass renderer to Nuke, because the Foundry sure as hell isn't doing it for now.

After the annoucement of Nuke-Studio, it makes even more sense. Along with Octane as a renderer, it will be a Freelancer's dream. :)
sleg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Goldorak Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm
sleg wrote:Hi. I'm a happy owner of Octane standalone and Octane for Maya. I'm currently using Octane for Maya on Linux. I have to agree wholeheartedly with the idea of bringing Octane to Nuke. Nuke's current scanline renderer is very slow and of poor quality. People have attempted to bring other renderers to it in the past, such as 3Delight or even Houdini's Mantra renderer.
I have asked the Foundry multiple times on whether or not they were planning on scrapping scanline and replacing it with the Modo renderer. The only answer I got was that they were planning on "improving the Nuke renderer". Which is a nice way to say, "we're not telling you".

Anyway. I work at a large VFX studio by day and mess around with short films at night. At home I certainly do not have the kind of render power I'm used to at work. Which is why I turned to Octane. Last year I was working on a project that needed a rather complex landscape. Initially I approached it the way I would at work, which was to render everything straight out of Mantra. I simply couldn't do that at home on my single workstation. So I decided to render a few frames of my landscape and project them in Nuke and render it that way. Sure I was going to lose a bit of quality (and I had to render high spec surfaces separately anyway) but I still hoping to gain speed. I was wrong. The scanline renderer is so bad that it was taking almost the same time for it to render a single projection object with a flat shader than Mantra did calculating indirect and rendering the full thing. Weak...

So I would like to post this as my plea to you guys to bring your kick-ass renderer to Nuke, because the Foundry sure as hell isn't doing it for now.

After the annoucement of Nuke-Studio, it makes even more sense. Along with Octane as a renderer, it will be a Freelancer's dream. :)

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sleg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

sleg Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am
In case you need it, here are the links for the 3Dleight Nuke render plugin:
https://atomkraft.hk/nuke

And the Houdini Mantra render plugin:
http://www.euqahuba.com/rnd.html

and it seems like Maxwell has made one as well: