Frustrated Again

Forums: Frustrated Again
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Frustrated Again

Postby chae » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:11 pm

chae Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Hi Yah,

I'm so trying hard to get this thing to work for me but not finding it the easiest of software to use, and I'm quite good with learning this kind of thing.

Export .max model to obj transfer to Linux box where blender & octane are. Pull obj into Blender to check it hit 3d view & model is there with a small amount of tweaking to get correct view. Import model into Octane (default units metres) mesh pulls in but for the love of me I can't find it in the render view no matter how often I zoom in, zoom out, centre view, reset default view etc etc. The render view is doing it's thing rendering away - why oh why isn't there a zoom all, zoom extents or the software automatically zooms in on the imported model or why can't we simply choose the camera view that was exported with the model?

Going to spend a bit more time on this simple model tomorrow & if no joy I'm just going to have to revert back to Maxwell Render & Windows which I was so hoping to get away from.
chae

Re: Frustrated Again

Postby kavorka » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm

kavorka Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm
if you are using the Blender plugin, it will automatically use your camera for the view. Do you have a camera in the scene?
also, check the size of your object, it may be really large or really small.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FooZe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 pm

FooZe Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 pm
I second that, absolutely use the blender plugin if you aren't...
You can get it here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20532&start=20

Scale seems to always be troublesome when moving .obj's from/to different modelers and into octane.
In blender change the scene units to meters to help check the scale.
Off the top of my head if the camera location is not specified it will default to targeting 0,0,0 and placed at 0,0,10.
If the scale of your scene is off or your model is not centered on the origin this will not be correct and finding your scene might be a problem.

I think you will find if your object is positioned at the origin and in correct scale, finding it should not be a problem. If you don't want to check scale in blender you can use trial and error with the import size (where you selected meters) to find the correct scale to import.
Just as a side note: I don't believe the wavefront .obj file format has a specification for camera location (hence this being lost in scene export/import).

Cheers
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby kavorka » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm

kavorka Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm
FooZe wrote:I second that, absolutely use the blender plugin if you aren't...
Just as a side note: I don't believe the wavefront .obj file format has a specification for camera location (hence this being lost in scene export/import).

Cheers
Chris.

Not sure about normally, but using the export plugin, it works. Not sure if you meant just without the exporter.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FooZe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:48 pm

FooZe Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:48 pm
Yup, i meant without the exporter. The plain .obj file format. I'm 99% sure the exporter uses the command line arguments to specify the camera location when firing up octane. (--cam-pos-x --cam-pos-y --cam-pos-z).

Thanks
Chris.
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby chae » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 am

chae Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 am
Right I took Blender out of the equation...

Steps
1. Export obj from Max 2011 all objects named accordingly (Windows)
2. Import obj into Octane direct (Linux) - still have to zoom out about 10 mouse wheel scrolls using "shift" before I find it
3. Octane doesn't retain layer names
4. Model is basically a container with a label & sundries around it...even though tub & label are two separate items Octane sees them as one
5. Two of the sundries around the tub are recognised as one item in Octane

Same model no changes to it whatsoever
1. Import obj into Maxwell Render - small tweak to zoom & scene in place
2. All objects have the appropriate layer/object name
3. All objects are separate as exported

The initial imports were done with Blender using the export script. Maybe the export from Max is screwing things up, though saying that it wasn't right from Blender either.
Away to get some real work done then I'll come back & address this again :(
chae

Postby kavorka » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 am

kavorka Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 am
In the demo, Octane combines all objects into one object. It only looks at the materials. If you apply a separate material to each object, they will get different nodes in octane and you can apply different materials. The full version now supports multiple objects and instances (don't think they put this in the demo yet).

Try using the blender exporter, or if there is one available for max with the demo, use that. (the full version has an integrated plugin for Max). The exporter should get rid of all of those problems (make sure to create a camera in the scene to make it easier).

I don't have any of these problems and find the full version extremely easy to use.

Hope this helps you out. There are tutorials in the resources and sharing thread.

*just realized you used the export script. Check the size of your objects in Blender after you bring them in and also make sure the exporter is set to the correct scale (probably feet or meters).
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby chae » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 am

chae Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 am
Thanks for the replies...

Spent some time on it this afternoon & even managed to convince the wife to print off the manual last yesterday.

Here's what I've found today...first of all I need to stipulate I have decided to ditch windows & maxwell, go the linux route but due to problems I've been having over the last near on four days, I quickly got a laptop going with windows & loaded max on to export clients model. So I won't be buying the max version which there isn't a demo of only a windows stand alone. Plus I'm not wanting to buy a license copy to see that it gives me the same problems, then I'm out of pocket as well as no render software :(

1. Max units is set to metres. The model is about 0.5m x 0.5m x 0.5m with a standard backdrop
2. Export to obj using Max's Blender default option
3. Open Blender (linux), go to setup & make sure it's set for metres, import the obj which is absolutely tiny on-screen, select a layer then zoom in on selected, model is fine. Note here that blender shows all objects on their individual layers in Outliner
4. Setup path, name & path to Octane exec, then render (note no camera setup)
5. Octane is set to import in metres...import mesh. First thing to notice nothing on the render window, 2nd things is that the model consists of 8 layers/objects in Blender, Octane shows the mesh with only 3 entities ?????
6. Now I'm back to same scenario as to trying to find the model in Octanes render window using the zoom with the shift key

So what I then did was on purpose scale up the model in Max, then went through all of the procedures above...when I pulled it into blender the "front view" showed the models backdrop filling the view at 10 metres - so the model isn't too small to be lost in Octane during the export.

I then set up a basic camera, click render & now I'm getting an error "Narcissic Camera Stop Looking At Yourself" even though the camera view shows what I want ?
I untick the export to camera option from Octane's settings & off it goes, opens up Octane but as above still can't find my model

What am I doing so obviously wrong?
Importing a model into this thing shouldn't be trial or error - aaaaahhhhhhh
chae

Postby chae » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 am

chae Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 am
Narcissic Camera Screen Dump...

I can render the camera view with the normal blender render command with no errors, as soon as I do Octance render error message.

Narcissic_Camera.png
chae

Postby matej » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am

matej Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am
You have the camera object set as the camera focus object, so it's focusing on itself. :)
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion