OctaneRender® 1.025 instancing preview test build

Forums: OctaneRender® 1.025 instancing preview test build
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender® 1.025 instancing preview test build

Postby kavorka » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:26 am

kavorka Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:26 am
Timmaigh wrote:
kavorka wrote:
Timmaigh wrote:Wow, great work, though despite skimming through whole thread, i still have no idea, how this works :D

Simple question> Once its ready, i mean completely, will i be able to locate the position of instances manually (or using some scattering plugin like Advanced Painter) within the modelling app (3ds max), then just export it using whatever the new format will be, import it into standalone Octane and these instances will be just there with no further need to deal with all these sliders, scatter nodes, placement nodes and other stuff? Obviously, Octane would recognise those instances as instances, not copies. I imagined it to work somehow like this, i really like me Octane simple :) seeing people talking about matrices and excel files makes me dizzy

If you're using 3DsMax, did you try the integrated plugin? With that, I dont think you have to worry about any of this as it is built into 3DsMax, so if it is an instance in max, it should count automatically.
At least I think it should.

Basically, you shouldnt have any need to export and you will have more functionality using the integrated plugin.

I actually use Max, but do not own the plugin so far, for some reason :D Call it lazyness, i am not sure whether i can buy it just using my credit card (which works for purchases from likes of iTunes or Steam just fine), or do i need to deal with PayPal, which IIRC was the only option for me back in the day, when i bought the standalone version (thanks to my friends paypal account)...i just dont feel like dealing with all this, therefore i stick with standalone for now and thats why i am asking...

I believe I used my credit card when I bought it. Its one of the options when you buy something with paypal, if I remember right.
I'm using Blender myself, so I can't talk about the Max plugin, but a couple people who frequent the forums use it and say its very good. If I had Max, I would by it in an instant, if there was a Blender plugin for the same price, I would by it. heck, i'd pay double. What you can do with Octane increases drastically.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archigrafix » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am

archigrafix Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am
Simple question:

Why all the transforms with the placement Node are always from the origin point of the scene, and not related to the object coordinate. It makes the tool almost unusable.
For example I move an object 150m on the x then apply a 45° rotation...I wanted the object to rotate on itself but it rotates from the origin point!

Am I missing something?
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:32 am

matej Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:32 am
archigrafix wrote:For example I move an object 150m on the x then apply a 45° rotation...I wanted the object to rotate on itself but it rotates from the origin point!

Then reverse the operation: first rotate and then translate.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm

smicha Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:12 pm
To anyone who uses Sketchup and would like to export sketchup components into octane instances
Here
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22581&start=30
is a TIG's .rb script and my tutorial how to use Sketchup and instances.

THANK YOU TIG and OCTANE TEAM!!!
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rakkas » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:46 pm

rakkas Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:46 pm
Thanks
windows 7 x64 | i7 920 | 12GB | GTX470 |
rakkas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archigrafix » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 pm

archigrafix Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 pm
thanx Matej...even though in the meantime I did find this myself :lol:

So I now get my first crash with this instancing version.
I pushed things a little further... I get a nice model (landscape with architecture) + I added 2 nice CGaxis trees model (50+150Mo). Each one instanced about a 15 times.
However memory usage of my GTX470 is less than half of it size, but then the render becomes instable I often get crashes when I move the camera or disconnect a node etc... I get the runtime error!
Why this I mean why this when my GPU doesnt seem ouit of memory?
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 pm

ROUBAL Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 pm
Well, I already posted this question in the Commercial support section some time ago, but as I still have no response from Otoy Team, I ask again here in the hope that someone of the Team will read it !

Since the beginning of Octane, I asked why the mesh obj node always keep the name of the first loaded obj. As far as I remember, I never got an answer.

I thought that it was just a bug that would be corrected later, but in most recent versions, it is still the same. The real name on the node would be useful, over all now that we have the ability of loading several obj in the same ocs scene.

So, I ask again : Why, even after relinking many different versions of a model, with various obj names (numbered incrementally or even totally different), the obj name displayed in the obj node remains the same ?
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:03 am

bepeg4d Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:03 am
thanks to Sighman, i have brush up on my matrix math a bit :)
to tell the truth, i have found an interesting link on wikipedia with all the transformation matrix:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Givens_rotation
rotation-matrix-chart-01.png

i've made a big step forward for my c4d script, now with the XYZ matrix i can rotate an object on all the three axis one at a time, in plus simultaneously on X and Y; with the XZYmatrix simultaneously on Y and Z; with the ZYX matrix simultaneously on X and Z.
unfortunately i can't find the correct matrix for a complete rotation on all the axis simultaneously :(
now, could someone point me in the right direction for the final matrix that gives the trasformation on all the three axis simultaneously?
and what about the scale? how does the scale interact with the matrix?
thanks in advance
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby matej » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 am

matej Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 am
@bepeg4d, doesn't C4D scripting system have a linear algebra library you can use? Any respectful scripting system would expose object transforms directly as matrices and allow you to create rotation, scaling & translation matrices with-out this mathematical hassle of calculating each term yourself. If C4D has such support, then you should consider investigating it, because this approach you are doing requires good mathematical knowledge (while the other approach requires only lousy mathematical knowledge :) ) Don't reinvent the wheel!
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:40 am

smicha Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:40 am
bepeg4d wrote:...now, could someone point me in the right direction for the final matrix that gives the trasformation on all the three axis simultaneously?
and what about the scale? how does the scale interact with the matrix?
thanks in advance
ciao beppe

If you are thinking about exporting C4D into Octane scatter data maybe you'll find this topic useful
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22581&start=40
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases