OctaneRender® 1.025 instancing preview test build

Forums: OctaneRender® 1.025 instancing preview test build
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender® 1.025 instancing preview test build

Postby Sighman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm

Sighman Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:20 pm
Not true at all. You can animate a scene if you wire the output of the geometry node to a render target. You then use the -t <rendertargetname> switch to render using that target. Works great for me...
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby rappet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am

rappet Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am
Sighman wrote:Not true at all. You can animate a scene if you wire the output of the geometry node to a render target. You then use the -t <rendertargetname> switch to render using that target. Works great for me...

Do you mean to animate a scene in Octane by making a camera/target path fromout a 3d-modeller with a (partial or other) scene and add -t <rendertargetname> switch into a textfile or something like that?.
I hope I will be able to learn making an animation like that ( I use Sketchup (and SU animated needed?) or Cinema 4D as a inbetween-exporter: Archicad/Artlantis > Sketchup > Octane)
Can you show some screenhots or explain a little more.
thanx in advance, greetings
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:15 pm

rappet Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:15 pm
Sighman wrote:Not true at all. You can animate a scene if you wire the output of the geometry node to a render target. You then use the -t <rendertargetname> switch to render using that target. Works great for me...

Thanx Sighman.. that got me going.

I got my first try that looks a bit like an animation using .. it is not a beauty (far from),
but for me it is just testing and learning and I don't want to spend much time on getting it beautiful, but be effective in learning... and i need to save a lot of time because there is so much to learn for me :shock:
The animation is not smooth, but I think that is me doing the keyframes SU Animation plugin not good enough yet,
I assume that I can do that smooth... just testing the technical technique for getting animation rendered in Octane.

I did it this way:
- 1. - In Sketchup (SU) I used trial version of SU animate to make a lot of scenes (one scene for every frame.. that is 25 scens for one second animation of 25 frames)
In SU I used a basic 3d-model for only making the camera seetings for animation
- 2. - I used the Octane Render Plugin (Thank you so much TIG.. that's great plugin!) with very low pixel sample (only want cam-settings)
- 3. - I changed the cmd file (with help of excel to make it easy) and added "-t <rendertargetname>" (thnx Sighman)
One line for a image looks like this: @"C:\Program Files\...\octane.exe" -e -q -t "rendertargetname" -o "D:\...\img00000.png" --cam-pos-x -0.17 --cam-pos-y 1.96 --cam-pos-z -5.73 --cam-target-x 2.34 --cam-target-y -4.13 --cam-target-z 17.35 --cam-up-x 0.029 --cam-up-y 0.96 --cam-up-z 0.25 --cam-fov 60.78 -g 1 -g 2 -g 3 "D:\...\try.ocs"
- 4. - my ocs file looks like the image attached. (as you can see I detached the Mesh Preview Camera)
In this cmd line and looking at the printscreen it "rendertargetname" should be the name "Tapper"
- 5. - I ran the cmd file and it made the images I needed for making animation (I stitched them in Adobe Premiere Elements)

I don't know (yet) what the parameters "-e -q" and " -g 1 -g 2 -g 3" stands for?
Can someone explain those?

Is this the way for me to make an animation? Or is there an easier way?
Help and tips is appreciated :P
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] try.mov [ 73.87 KiB | Viewed 5406 times ]

prntscrn.jpg
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:07 am

Sighman Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:07 am
The typical way to create an animation with Octane standalone is to export a series of .obj files from your modeling software and then batch render them using octane. You use the first obj in your sequence to create an .ocs file that contains all your lighting and material settings. You then use your batch file to execute octane for each obj in your sequence. I believe that is what you are dong.

The problem with scatter nodes is that there is no way to modify the scatter list for each frame except by modifying the ocs file directly. Once otoy implements an import mechanism for scatter nodes that problem should go away. In the mean time you need to edit the ocs file for each frame.

I'm about to post my animation in the next day or two and I will post the details of how I did it then.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sighman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:01 am

Sighman Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:01 am
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Timmaigh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 am

Timmaigh Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 am
Wow, great work, though despite skimming through whole thread, i still have no idea, how this works :D

Simple question> Once its ready, i mean completely, will i be able to locate the position of instances manually (or using some scattering plugin like Advanced Painter) within the modelling app (3ds max), then just export it using whatever the new format will be, import it into standalone Octane and these instances will be just there with no further need to deal with all these sliders, scatter nodes, placement nodes and other stuff? Obviously, Octane would recognise those instances as instances, not copies. I imagined it to work somehow like this, i really like me Octane simple :) seeing people talking about matrices and excel files makes me dizzy
Intel Core i7 980x @ 3,78GHz - Gigabyte X58A UD7 rev 1.0 - 24GB DDR3 RAM - Gainward GTX590 3GB @ 700/1400/3900 Mhz- 2x Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 2TB - WD Caviar Green 2TB - Fractal Design Define R2 - Win7 64bit - Octane 2.57
Timmaigh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:57 pm

kavorka Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:57 pm
Timmaigh wrote:Wow, great work, though despite skimming through whole thread, i still have no idea, how this works :D

Simple question> Once its ready, i mean completely, will i be able to locate the position of instances manually (or using some scattering plugin like Advanced Painter) within the modelling app (3ds max), then just export it using whatever the new format will be, import it into standalone Octane and these instances will be just there with no further need to deal with all these sliders, scatter nodes, placement nodes and other stuff? Obviously, Octane would recognise those instances as instances, not copies. I imagined it to work somehow like this, i really like me Octane simple :) seeing people talking about matrices and excel files makes me dizzy

If you're using 3DsMax, did you try the integrated plugin? With that, I dont think you have to worry about any of this as it is built into 3DsMax, so if it is an instance in max, it should count automatically.
At least I think it should.

Basically, you shouldnt have any need to export and you will have more functionality using the integrated plugin.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:25 pm

rappet Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:25 pm
kavorka wrote:
Timmaigh wrote:Wow, great work, though despite skimming through whole thread, i still have no idea, how this works :D

If you're using 3DsMax, did you try the integrated plugin? With that, I dont think you have to worry about any of this as it is built into 3DsMax, so if it is an instance in max, it should count automatically.

Basically, you shouldnt have any need to export and you will have more functionality using the integrated plugin.

Indeed if you are using 3DsMax...but for those who are sadly enough not working with Autodesk-modeller or Blender? :(
I am working with Archicad and artlantis I have to use Sketchup as an inbetween to get to Octane properly with one or more OBJ's,
.. so 'handicapped' I've got to get there otherways... hopefully... or not :?:
greetings,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Timmaigh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Timmaigh Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:58 pm
kavorka wrote:

I actually use Max, but do not own the plugin so far, for some reason :D Call it lazyness, i am not sure whether i can buy it just using my credit card (which works for purchases from likes of iTunes or Steam just fine), or do i need to deal with PayPal, which IIRC was the only option for me back in the day, when i bought the standalone version (thanks to my friends paypal account)...i just dont feel like dealing with all this, therefore i stick with standalone for now and thats why i am asking...
Intel Core i7 980x @ 3,78GHz - Gigabyte X58A UD7 rev 1.0 - 24GB DDR3 RAM - Gainward GTX590 3GB @ 700/1400/3900 Mhz- 2x Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 2TB - WD Caviar Green 2TB - Fractal Design Define R2 - Win7 64bit - Octane 2.57
Timmaigh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 am

Sighman Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 am

I really have no idea what to expect in the way of an exporter/importer for the standalone version. I know as a minimum that a new command line switch for importing scatter nodes is needed but beyond that someone from OTOY will have to comment. If I could direct the development of Octane Standalone in any way it would be to a) add scripting or add-in support to allow programmatic access to the node tree and b) now that we have instancing, add an emitter node so that we can add partical effects to our renders.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases