Light on light shadows and Light Linking

Forums: Light on light shadows and Light Linking
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Light on light shadows and Light Linking

Postby RFortnam » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:08 am

RFortnam Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:08 am
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum or whether this has been discussed with a solution before? Using C4D r25

Im working on a scene where I need to exclude several lights shadows from final render. Ive set up a light link for each of the lights and the system works fine until I use a shadow catcher material as the backdrop. This seems to disable the Light link system. Is there a work around?

Secondly

Is there a way of preventing light on light shadows eg one Octane light seeing another octane lights plane and forming a shadow?

Any help would be appreciated

Richard
RFortnam

Re: Light on light shadows and Light Linking

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:15 am

bepeg4d Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:15 am
Hi Richard,

about Shadow Catcher, please try with the Render Layer technique instead:
https://docs.otoy.com/cinema4d/RenderLayer.html

About lights, have you reduced to zero the General Visibility or Opacity of the Light, in the Octane Light tag?

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby RFortnam » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 am

RFortnam Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 am
Hi Beppe,

Thanks for your reply but I am already using the render layer technique. This doesnt resolve the control I need over the individual cast shadows. The difficulty is seperating each of the cast shadows so I can remove some and keep others.

The result of reducing the general visibilty is that you stop the lights effect on the scene and thats not what Im trying to achieve.

Just seems odd that this functionality doesnt exist in either cases for Octane but has been implemented in most of the other renderers I use for many years.

If you have any further suggestions I would be happy to hear them?

Many thanks,

R
RFortnam

Postby RFortnam » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm

RFortnam Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm
Hi Beppe, Thanks for your help.

I am using Render Layer already but this doesnt allow me the flexibility to split out indivdual lights shadows only to split the shadows from the object. It also doesnt resolve the issue with the shadow catcher not working with the light link system.

Your suggestion for General visibility seems to turns the lights off rather than hides them from other light planes.

If you have any other suggestions or work arounds It would be great to know?

Thanks

R
RFortnam

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion