Vram size for Octane

Forums: Vram size for Octane
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Vram size for Octane

Postby g0ss » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:15 am

g0ss Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:15 am
Hello.

At the moment I'm working in a keyshot, but I want to switch to Octane. I am choosing a graphics card. According to OctaneBench, 2080x2 is better than 2080ti, but the 2080 has less video memory than the Ti version. I usually work in 3D coat / ZBrush and the scenes are pretty heavy (30-100 million polygons).

Please tell me, how much VRAM is needed for such scenes and is the video memory from 2 video cards or more added up?

Thanks!
g0ss

Re: Vram size for Octane

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:06 am

bepeg4d Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:06 am
Hi,
good question!
VRAM amount is often underestimated by Octane users, but it is crucial for speed.
If the scene does not fits into VRAM, part of it has to be moved to system RAM (Out-of-core).
And since RAM is slower than VRAM, you lose ~20% of rendering speed, and the system is less reactive.

About adding 2x GPUs/VRAM, NvLink works only with RTX GPUs, and only for geometry at the moment.
Textures must be moved to system RAM (Out-of-core), losing speed also in this case.

You are working with pretty dense scenes, and I don't think that 11GB would be enough for some of them, so maybe you could wait till 1st of September to see what Nvidia is going to do about VRAM with the upcoming Ampere architecture.
On the other side of the river, AMD is offering GPUs with 16GB fast VRAM at a reasonable price.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby LeJiaqi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 pm

LeJiaqi Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Hi,
good question!
VRAM amount is often underestimated by Octane users, but it is crucial for speed.
If the scene does not fits into VRAM, part of it has to be moved to system RAM (Out-of-core).
And since RAM is slower than VRAM, you lose ~20% of rendering speed, and the system is less reactive.

About adding 2x GPUs/VRAM, NvLink works only with RTX GPUs, and only for geometry at the moment.
Textures must be moved to system RAM (Out-of-core), losing speed also in this case.

You are working with pretty dense scenes, and I don't think that 11GB would be enough for some of them, so maybe you could wait till 1st of September to see what Nvidia is going to do about VRAM with the upcoming Ampere architecture.
On the other side of the river, AMD is offering GPUs with 16GB fast VRAM at a reasonable price.

ciao Beppe

:o So 20GB vram 3080ti and 24GB vram for 3090 is true ???
And I got a question about PCIe. I got some "information" said Nvidia high-end GPU is gonna need pcie4.0x16 to feed it. Is that matter coz I gat only 3.0x16? Will it slow down the rendering?
LeJiaqi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:23 am

glimpse Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:23 am
LeJiaqi wrote:

:o So 20GB vram 3080ti and 24GB vram for 3090 is true ???
And I got a question about PCIe. I got some "information" said Nvidia high-end GPU is gonna need pcie4.0x16 to feed it. Is that matter coz I gat only 3.0x16? Will it slow down the rendering?

I doubt that would be the case. for now, all we have is some rumors and guesses, that a based on nothing.

in Your situation, with so heavy files I would look at least into 2080ti or even TitanRTX.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion