Octane/Blender crash

Forums: Octane/Blender crash
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Octane/Blender crash

Postby FreedomHolland » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:03 pm

FreedomHolland Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:03 pm
Hi,

Im not sure if this is the correct forum/group to ask about the following.

I installed Octane on a fresh install of blender. I followed the setup https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72241 And i started up the Octane server first and really fast i see a CMD screen with the follow error Image

Then when i continue with the program and try to render something the program just shut`s off. (see video)
This happens when octane DB is open and i press render (f12) or press the tab Render.
https://youtu.be/sb4TGEhAmjQ

And if i have octane DB closet it does work but i dont have texture or coloring. (see video)
https://youtu.be/7pto5cZK3c0
FreedomHolland

Re: Octane/Blender crash

Postby Ekinow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 pm

Ekinow Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 pm
Hey, hope you're doing well.
I've doing trying Octane for couple days and I'm facing lot of issues.

I don't think Octane for Blender is stable right now... Apparently they don't really care about these comments on their forum :-(
Ekinow

Postby jobigoud » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:42 am

jobigoud Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:42 am
In the second video of the OP above the problem seems to be that they haven't selected Octane as the renderer for the scene. The material editor is the one from Eevee.
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Ekiwnox » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:47 am

Ekiwnox Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:47 am
I've been using Octane for almost 2 months on Blender now.
I had a lot of issue when I started. I contacted the support by email and seems they don't believe their render engine is unstable. I find a way to make it worked. Your drivers must be up to date and if you're using RTX you really need to make sure it's the pilote version and not the gaming version of the driver.

Even when everything is well set, you need to be really patient with Octane. It doesn't support lot of vertex > lot of crashes.
Also you must put "Octane out of core", it's going to be a little bit more stable. (Out of memory limit should be REALLLLY HIGH like 1 million).

Don't try to use vertex displacement or Octane will crash.

Other than that, even with all set up you'll have some crashes but Octane team will say : it's not on our side, it's because of your computer. Which is not true. Lot of users are facing same unstabilities in other software. I've a lot of friend on C4D and they switched to Redshift because Octane is unstable.

I'm still using Octane because I think renders are way better, but honestly I might switch if I found another render engine more stable and with the same quality of Octane because this attitude is so bad. And as you can see they don't even care about the forum.
Ekiwnox

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion