Question About Octane Viability

Forums: Question About Octane Viability
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Question About Octane Viability

Postby ozunasawai4 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 am

ozunasawai4 Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 am
Hello everyone!

I'm new to Cinema 4D and have recently learned about GPU renderers such as Octane. I have an AMD GPU currently, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, but am now thinking of shelling out for an RTX 2070, or at the very least, a used 980ti.

Anyway, I've recently created a series of animations at 360 frames each. No global illumination, very light render settings, and light on the reflections too. I have 3 lights setup, particle emitters, and some collisions. Basic stuff. Anyway, I'm finding that these animations are taking about 1.5hrs at around 15-30 seconds per frame using the standard renderer (CPU i5 6500k OC'd a little). I have about 10 of these animations to render out, so that's about 15 hours of total render time for something I feel is really simple.

How much will a GPU like a 980ti+Octane cut down on that render time? I've seen some crazy examples where the physical renderer will take 45mins and Octane+GTX970 cuts it down to like 5 mins, but those examples were for some highly detailed scenes. My animations are really basic with really basic geometry/particle systems/collisions. Is this as good as it gets or will Octane cut my render time even less? If I can go from 1.5 hrs to like 10 mins, I'm heading to the store ASAP.

Thanks guys!
ozunasawai4

Re: Question About Octane Viability

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:06 am

bepeg4d Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:06 am
Hi,
difficult to answer without trying the scene at the desired rendering resolution.
If you want, you can send me an example scene with assets via Private Message, and I can try to give you an idea of time and result, with a single RTX 2070, or in multi GPUs mode.
The beauty of Octane is that it scales linearly, so with 2x GPUs of the same model, you are twice as fast, and so on.

Here you can see the results of the currently supported GPUs, in single GPU mode:
https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/res ... ingleGPU=1
And here in multi GPUs mode:
https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/res ... ingleGPU=0

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion