Octane on 2 computers

Forums: Octane on 2 computers
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Octane on 2 computers

Postby Alexisbaydoun » Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Alexisbaydoun Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm
Hi guys,

I am using Octane on 2 computers: my personal computer, and the one at work. I am forgetting to sign out every single time from Octane at work computer and thus I just unlocked it from my profile. I have only 1 Unlock left. How does this work? This might happen again do i have one unlock left for all the year? How to work with this in the future?

Thanks
Alexisbaydoun

Re: Octane on 2 computers

Postby keviny » Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 pm

keviny Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 pm
the resets will automatically reset over time. Best thing to do is write to support and ask for a reset, they can do it manually. I've attached a screenshot on how to ensure that you sign out each time.
Attachments
C4D Sign Out.png
keviny
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Alexisbaydoun » Tue May 21, 2019 6:27 am

Alexisbaydoun Tue May 21, 2019 6:27 am
That's what i've been doing, but sometimes i'm having technical issues to connect to the server at work while i'm home on the other computer so i can't sign out from there in order to continue on my own computer..

It seems not very suitable that i have to submit emails each time..

Thanks anyway, will see what happens
Alexisbaydoun

Postby mcaballeroadv » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

mcaballeroadv Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am
The unlock/floating license system is totally broken. It's a ridiculous expectation that we have to sign out every time. I've had technical difficulties unrelated to Octane (migrated computers/had to reinstall C4D twice) and I'm now out of unlocks. If Octane can't log out automatically every time we close the application (or it crashes), we need to get more unlocks. I'm now forced to cancel my subscription and start a new one with a different account so I don't miss tomorrow's deadline. I absolutely love Octane and I think it's a genius effort from the developers, but if you guys want to be taken seriously by production companies and studios you have to offer more stability and reliability. Plenty of studios are already using Redshift instead of Octane for similar reasons
mcaballeroadv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am

aoktar Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am
mcaballeroadv wrote:The unlock/floating license system is totally broken. It's a ridiculous expectation that we have to sign out every time. I've had technical difficulties unrelated to Octane (migrated computers/had to reinstall C4D twice) and I'm now out of unlocks. If Octane can't log out automatically every time we close the application (or it crashes), we need to get more unlocks. I'm now forced to cancel my subscription and start a new one with a different account so I don't miss tomorrow's deadline. I absolutely love Octane and I think it's a genius effort from the developers, but if you guys want to be taken seriously by production companies and studios you have to offer more stability and reliability. Plenty of studios are already using Redshift instead of Octane for similar reasons

Sorry but unlocks the license if you close C4D. You should open and close the C4D if it crashed and you need to leave the PC to work in other one.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mcaballeroadv » Tue May 21, 2019 10:53 am

mcaballeroadv Tue May 21, 2019 10:53 am
aoktar wrote:
mcaballeroadv wrote:The unlock/floating license system is totally broken. It's a ridiculous expectation that we have to sign out every time. I've had technical difficulties unrelated to Octane (migrated computers/had to reinstall C4D twice) and I'm now out of unlocks. If Octane can't log out automatically every time we close the application (or it crashes), we need to get more unlocks. I'm now forced to cancel my subscription and start a new one with a different account so I don't miss tomorrow's deadline. I absolutely love Octane and I think it's a genius effort from the developers, but if you guys want to be taken seriously by production companies and studios you have to offer more stability and reliability. Plenty of studios are already using Redshift instead of Octane for similar reasons

Sorry but unlocks the license if you close C4D. You should open and close the C4D if it crashed and you need to leave the PC to work in other one.

I understand how it works but there are instances where closing C4D properly or logging out is impossible. Earlier tonight my PC had some issues and it was unable to boot so I had to reinstall windows, which uninstalled all my apps, so C4D didn't close properly. Thankfully I had 1 unlock left for Octane standalone and that unlocked the plugin as well, but now I have no unlocks left. It would be really helpful if we had more unlocks (say 10 unlocks every few months). The permanent solution would be having Octane automatically unlock if it's not in use. I only use one computer so it's a relatively simple situation (when I don't have crashes or PC issues) but users like Alexisbaydoun (OP) should be able to use it on both computers.

To reiterate on my previous post, Octane is amazing and kudos to you, aoktar, for spending time both developing and working on customer service. But I really hope OTOY grows its headcount to tackle the small issues (and put all other GPU renderers out of business :twisted: ). Overall, it's a great piece of software but it's the little things that break a production pipeline :|
mcaballeroadv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am

aoktar Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am
Mate! On our end it's closing properly everytime. So it may mean that you have something that's causes glitches on quit. Any plugins else octane or some crashes at end. Give a try without extra plugins and watch the task manager if C4D closes itself. Anyway thanks for you kindness. Give a chance to possible setup problems.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby frankmci » Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 pm

frankmci Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 pm
It would be super-handy if Octane licenses were "stealable," just like Octane network render daemons currently are. I realize that they are not the same thing, and probably have very different underlying architecture, but it's a pretty elegant solution.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tazmo » Fri May 01, 2020 1:14 am

Tazmo Fri May 01, 2020 1:14 am
Hi Guys, I have a similar situation here. I have my work computer & Home computer. I sometimes work from home and learn Octane. Is there any solution to sign out and log in in different computer?
Tazmo

Postby aoktar » Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am

aoktar Fri May 01, 2020 7:59 am
Tazmo wrote:Hi Guys, I have a similar situation here. I have my work computer & Home computer. I sometimes work from home and learn Octane. Is there any solution to sign out and log in in different computer?

It's same on some other products. Closing the c4d gently will log out

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion