Questions for Octane users, about surfacing and lighting

Forums: Questions for Octane users, about surfacing and lighting
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Questions for Octane users, about surfacing and lighting

Postby Lasherpe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Lasherpe Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm
Hi guys, I'm taking some hours to test octane, I have the demo here since quite some time, but never tested in depth.
I have some questions, not in a particular order:

Lighting

- is it possible to match Octane light properties with custom shaped poly-lights using the texture emitter? They both have power, efficiency and color but the Octane light has also the range/nominal distance from Lw lights panel.
- any way to tell octane to not take into account the range/nominal distance of the light? It's a feature that doesn't make sense.
- also, does the emitter take into account the Inv dist sqr falloff?
- the emitter is faster or slower than Octane lights? There's no spherical light in the built in shapes, strange.

Can't find anything in the manual for this.

About the shaders

It seems to me that the Glossy shader behaves really wrong. It's probably me but:

- if I try to build a simple colored metal using the built-in IOR I get something super fake because the shaders takes into account the diffuse values even when the specular is at 100%.

Aren't this shaders supposed to be energy conserving or what are they? Because it also looks totally wrong even if I put 0 as diffuse, it's like the specular is multiplied over the diffuse or something.

- also, the roughness power is waaaay too much aggressive, like in Lw. Is there a way to use something like the POW node to remodulate the effect of the roughness? It behaves very badly with textures.

- one more on roughness: the metal material produced with the glossy shader at 100% roughness is still something very metallic, which is obviously wrong.
If octane have the right nodes I can manage that automatically (didn't check everything yet). I also noticed that if I put a IOR of 1.0, which in my experience means no fresnel, which means just the diffuse component, the shader produce the fresnel effects based on the specular color.

I think it's all for now, need further testing for the rest.

Sorry to post much questions here, but can't post on octane forum if you are not a licensed user... I love otoy already.
Lasherpe

Re: Questions for Octane users, about surfacing and lighting

Postby J.C » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:32 pm

J.C Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:32 pm
An answer from developers would be very welcome on this subject.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am

juanjgon Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 am
Hi,

Sorry, I had not seen that there was a question related to the LightWave plugin. Octane doesn't support some LightWave lighting features, like the range/nominal distance or the falloff, but unfortunately, I can't remove these options from the lights panel, so you simply need to ignore them. The Octane area lights are geometry with emission materials, exactly the same and with the same features and performance that you can get with your own objects if you apply to them an emission material.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby peremodaw » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:54 am

peremodaw Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:54 am
Hi team, is there any hope of them bringing it soon or not anytime soon? I guess a lot wants to see it as soon as possible.

Regards,
Sloth Smith
peremodaw

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion