Can I render *.OKX videos with ORC to play on Oculus Go?

Forums: Can I render *.OKX videos with ORC to play on Oculus Go?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Can I render *.OKX videos with ORC to play on Oculus Go?

Postby Reality4 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Reality4 Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 pm
Hi everyone, as far as I can tell the ORBX Media Player on the Oculus can only play formats (png/okx/orbx) that contain stereo cubemaps.

I would like to render my own cubemap videos, and I've read somewhere on this forum that's only possible with ORC through an OKX export.

But I'm lost when it comes to the settings for the project I should upload from OctaneRender to ORC. Does anyone have a sample scene to share? Or could someone describe the workflow in more detail?

And by the way, I was a previously confused about the ORBX player confused due to all the Otoy announcements about ORBX.

Am I correct when I say there are two or more versions of the ORBX player? One for Oculus Go/GearVR? And one that can play interactive content, light fields but that has not yet been released?

In that context: I've seen a Youtube or Vimeo video of the Keloid Government scene where the camera is moving along that street. Was that another pre-rendered animation, or was that playing in the 'advanced' ORBX player with 6dof capabilities et cetera?

Thank you for any feedback!
Reality4
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can I render *.OKX videos with ORC to play on Oculus Go?

Postby WadeWatts » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 pm

WadeWatts Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 pm
Hi, I can help get you started.

If you want to render out a still image, and that is where to start you setup OctaneRender with a Panoramic camera that has a resolution of 18432 x 1536, Side-By-Side, Keep Upright. Then render out to PNG. You need to load the player onto your HMD, either GearVR or Oculus Go at this stage.

From there use ADB USB tool onto your PC. Plug-in the HMD to your PC, navigate to the ORBX MEDIA folder where you place the .png file. You can also put the PNG in the pictures directory on the Oculus go... then voila you can view your HMD.

For OKX video playback I am trying to find the answer out to this myself. If you find out post here.
WadeWatts

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion