Any Hands on experience with Octane + Mac OS with eGPU?

Forums: Any Hands on experience with Octane + Mac OS with eGPU?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Any Hands on experience with Octane + Mac OS with eGPU?

Postby henry144 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 am

henry144 Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:04 am
I have been curious about how Octane performs on a Mac with an eGPU over thunderbolt 3. If anyone has experience with this now that High Sierra is officially out I would love to hear what you think of the solution. I love the idea of being able to grab the eGPU and haul it into the office if I need to do some renders for the day at a freelance job. I always get weird looks when I haul in a PC to make sure that I have the tools I need.

I have only seen forum posts while working in the high sierra beta but If I missed one with this information I would love to look at that. Thanks!
henry144
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Any Hands on experience with Octane + Mac OS with eGPU?

Postby frankmci » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm

frankmci Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm
We've been using Octane + EGPU using the AkitioNode Thunderbolt 3 since May in both Maya and C4D, but we're still running 10.12.6 Sierra for the time being. We used one of the enabler scripts at egpu.io to get the Node recognized and have had good luck since.

The only issue so far has been that the Node is not hot pluggable. If you shut it off or disconnect it, the whole machine crashes. We don't juggle the Node boxes that often, so it hasn't really been a problem. Shutdown and reboot is so fast off of SSDs, it's no big deal.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion