Spotlight Octane

Forums: Spotlight Octane
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Spotlight Octane

Postby Ridder » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Ridder Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm
Hi,

I'm a light designer and to create my designs I use Vectorworks. The render engine of Vectorworks is nice but it's CPU based and not amazingly fast.
Since the 2017 version of Vectorworks it's possible to export Vectorworks files to C4D which makes the render possiblities a lot more interesting :)
I've been looking into Octane and I'm amazed by the speed of rendering since it's GPU based and you can easily scale up in the amount of GPU's.
The problem I bump into at the moment is that all the light fixtures in Vectorworks will be exported into a spotlight within C4D a type of light Octane can't render, if I understand correctly.
I've a scene for example at the moment that has a small amount of lights, for a light setup, which is around 25, but they are all spotlights.
I hope there is a great work around to solve this, would love to work with this renderer.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers,
Ridder
Ridder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Spotlight Octane

Postby Ridder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 am

Ridder Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 am
Hi Beppe,

Thanks the reply!
I've come across some of the tutorials you posted when researching this topic. They are very usefull, thnx!
They don't completely answer my question though. Because when I make the design in vectorworks and export it to c4d all the value's of the lights will be transferd into the spotlights within cinema4d.
Since in vectorworks there is a user libary that has thousands of different type of lights from all the manufactures that produce lights for the entertainment industry. So all the specific parameters like, gobo, fall of, lens angles, etc are in vectorworks and are transfered to cinema 4d when exporting a scene. When you for example have 20 different type of lights and 150 lights in total it will be a massive under taking to change them all and also a big possibility to make mistakes. So my question is, Is there an easy way of replacing the spotlights with an octane light but keep all the parameters of the spotlight?
Hope this makes my question more clear.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ridder
Ridder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am

bepeg4d Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am
Hi Ridder,
usually we use IES files to mimic specific spotlights.
Do you mind to share with me an example scene to better understand the different settings that you need?
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Ridder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 am

Ridder Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 am
Hi Beppe,

Thanks. See attached.
In the file under ''light' are all the fixtures from mulitple suppliers.
In the file under 'Geomotry - Lighting are the LED tubes we made ourselves.

Cheers
Attachments
Halloween17 v03 v2018.rar
(7.02 MiB) Downloaded 234 times
Ridder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ridder » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Ridder Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm
Hi Beppe,

Sorry to bother you again so soon. Where you able to make sence of the C4D file I sent?
Just really curious of it's possible, what I hope is :)

Thnx.

Cheers,
Ridder
Ridder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:18 pm

bepeg4d Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:18 pm
Hi Ridder,
sorry, I don't have an IES file so narrow, anyway you need to firstly switch from Direct Light AO to Path Tracing in the Kernel settings, ans use a plane for the IES light emitter, and a cube for the fog. Then you can create an instance to parent with other spotlights:
Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 17.10.51.jpg

Halloween17 v03 v2018b.zip
(15.55 MiB) Downloaded 280 times

ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Ridder » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Ridder Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm
Hi Beppe,

Thanks for the quick reply!
Great you where able to show a work around! It's still quite a lot of work when you have to do 20 different type of lights this way, and when you don't have all the IES files. Not an option for us at the moment.
Do you know if Octane is working on updates in which a spotlight will be more included in the options of lights?

Thnx.

Cheers,
Ridder
Ridder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion