New Octane user finding things a big buggy...

Forums: New Octane user finding things a big buggy...
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

New Octane user finding things a big buggy...

Postby murgs001 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am

murgs001 Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am
Hello there!

I'm brand new to Octane, having just signed up to OctaneVR for C4D over the weekend after playing with the demo for a bit. I'm really excited about the potential, but unfortunately I'm finding it really unstable for me.

Examples of what seems like quirky behaviour:
- Adjusting various settings would sometimes cause everything to hang (nothing is clickable in C4D, causing me to kill the task after waiting for about 10 mins - GPU maintains a lowish level of fan noise, and the render % stops updating along with any further activity on Live viewer)
- Octane Textures sometimes stop being displayed in the C4D viewport. Initially showed the c4doctane noise texture when created/applied, but later appeared as just flat white, even though it displays properly in Octane's live viewer)
- Motion blur randomly deactivating despite all the settings being correct. (The correctness of settings was validated by saving my file, restarting my PC, and le voila, it all reappeared again). Resetting render data and restarting sometimes fixes this, but it feels like I'm needing to click this a lot...
- Motion blur is visible in the live viewer, but does not appear when rendered in Picture Viewer. (C4D render settings were set to Octane, and the octane info bar appears at the bottom of pictureviewer window, so it seems to be using the right renderer)

Since there are general no posts in the forums complaining about these fairly basic issues (which would essentially render the product unusable for any serious work), I am assuming there's something going on with my setup. First of all, it's worth mentioning that C4D (R18.048) NEVER crashed on my PC prior to installing and using Octane. The main variable to me is probably the more extensive use of my GPU, which I know is less than ideal (GTX 680 with 2GB RAM). However I have set up Out of Core to use 16GB from my 32GB of system RAM, and I have also tried to go back to basics by just playing with one plane + one cube, and the quirky behaviour is still occurring (not so much the crashing, but the other strange behaviours still remain).

I'm ready to fork out for a more modern GPU, but before I do that and discover it doesn't fix anything, I was wondering whether any of this sounds like there's something else that might be going on, including obvious user error :D

Other details off the top of my head:
Running Windows 10, 64-bit
i7-4790 @ 3.60Ghz
32GB RAM

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
murgs001
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: New Octane user finding things a big buggy...

Postby aoktar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:02 pm

aoktar Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:02 pm
I don't have any idea about how big or correct your scenes. It will not be enough if you have just ONE 680 with 2GB VRAM.
Here is a post about motionblur: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=61771
You don't need a restart of PC or C4D for correct results. Also don't change Geometry Engine from defaults.

Here is video tutorials: https://docs.otoy.com/Octane_Render_Por ... nema4D.htm
Manual: https://docs.otoy.com/Cinema_4D_Plugin_ ... n%7C_____0

Let me know if you need more help.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby murgs001 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm

murgs001 Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm
Thanks for your quick response and the links.

Re: Scene sizes, I have really only played with 2 simple scenes whilst figuring out octane.
Scene 1:
- 'Bed - Classic' 3D object from C4d Visualize presets
- Floor Plane with Octane diffuse material
- 2 area lights HDRI environment
- Octane-tagged camera

Initially the live viewer failed to render due to running out of VRAM (probably not a huge surprise).
After converting all materials to octane, and increasing Out of Core RAM to 16GB, it was rendering successfully in LV, but then crashed intermittently every 5-10 minutes regardless. I understand OoC is a newer feature, and maybe it still has its quirks.

My take - if the system was originally designed to make use of VRAM and core functionality, getting a newer GPU will likely improve stability.

Scene 2:
- Literally a floor plane plus a spinning rectangle, with simple diffuse materials (flat color, plus procedural noise)
With this scene, it has not crashed outright after over an hour, but I was experiencing the motion blur issues described above.

My take: It sounds like the caching in LV means I just need to refresh data when certain settings are changed. I can certainly live with that.

Thanks!
murgs001
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:52 pm

aoktar Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:52 pm
What do you mean with crashes? Any screen shot for these?
If you're out of VRAM it will give Cuda errors or sometimes crashes.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby murgs001 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 pm

murgs001 Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 pm
Hi,

The 'crashing' I refer to was partly described in the original post:
ie: nothing is clickable in C4D, causing me to kill the task after waiting for about 10 mins - GPU maintains at a lowish level of fan noise, and the render % stops updating along with any further activity on Live viewer.

The other crash I experience on occasion is getting the C4D dialog reporting that the plugin had crashed. It then shuts down C4D, and when you restart, it gives you an option to report the crash to Maxon using recovered files. I would need to take a screenshot next time, if it's not just a generic C4D dialog box that I assumed it was.

This latter 'crash' tends to happen more immediately after changing a setting to something that I'm guessing is way outside what's reasonable, judging by the way it's stressing out my system (eg. Adding a volume fog, and setting the Voxel Size (editor) to 0.2 ). In this case, the system either seizes up, or the plug-in crashes (has done either).

I imagine I'll see more of these as I continue to experiment and learn what parameter settings are reasonable! :)
murgs001
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 pm

aoktar Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 pm
The 'crashing' I refer to was partly described in the original post:
ie: nothing is clickable in C4D, causing me to kill the task after waiting for about 10 mins - GPU maintains at a lowish level of fan noise, and the render % stops updating along with any further activity on Live viewer.

It depends to which parameters you played. You may easily go extreme values as i'll describe at below and stress you cpu/ram capacity. And you may cause to our cpu falls to high computational cases.

murgs001 wrote:This latter 'crash' tends to happen more immediately after changing a setting to something that I'm guessing is way outside what's reasonable, judging by the way it's stressing out my system (eg. Adding a volume fog, and setting the Voxel Size (editor) to 0.2 ). In this case, the system either seizes up, or the plug-in crashes (has done either).

There's some explanation what's that and what does a voxel size: https://docs.otoy.com/Cinema_4D_Plugin_ ... t%7C_____1
So don't jump so fast to extreme values without checking RAM status. If you're increasing voxel amounts it will cause out-of-memory and crash.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby murgs001 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:44 pm

murgs001 Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:44 pm
Thanks for your help.

I think the key thing I take away from this is that with the live viewer and its real-time rendering, I need to be more cautious with the way I experiment. With base C4D, any changes I make would rarely have immediate impact until I kick off a render. With the live viewer it can really seize things up immediately, meaning I need to adjust the way I approach tinkering with settings, especially with a system that is not ideally powered.
murgs001
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby murgs001 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am

murgs001 Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:25 am
Hi, just a quick epilogue - upgraded my GTX680 to a GTX 1080, and life has gotten much better in every respect. Definitely a message there for others who may be on marginally capable systems who may be experiencing similar intermittent issues. :)
murgs001
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion