OctaneVR, Lightfields, ORBX Lack of coherent info

Forums: OctaneVR, Lightfields, ORBX Lack of coherent info
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

OctaneVR, Lightfields, ORBX Lack of coherent info

Postby emil.klingberg » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am

emil.klingberg Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am
Hey,

So i have been trying to look into the VR rendering capabilities of the octane Renderer but i can't for the life of me find some straight concrete answers. I downloaded the 3ds max demo but found no sign of either Lightfields or 360 stereo rendering capabilities so if there is somebody wiser than me able to give me the info i would greatly appreciate it.

Questions in order:
1) What kind of file format are light fields stored in and how can i view one, (can i use the vive?, oculus? GearVR?) Where can i get the viewer.
2) How can i render a light field, or where can i find documentation on how, can i do it with the max pluggin or do i need to use the Standalone version. I which case where can i find the documentation to do it in the standalone version.
3) Im assuming you can do everything that you can do with OctaneVR with the standard license, if not, why? and why call it OctaneVR if its just a regular renderer only a bit limited and with a sub license instead of a regular one. Its just a bit confusing.
4)If lightfields are not available for commercial users yet then im sure there is a 360 stereo rendering, Where can i find the documentation for that?

Would be nice to learn a bit more about this
emil.klingberg

Re: OctaneVR, Lightfields, ORBX Lack of coherent info

Postby glimpse » Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 am

glimpse Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 am
Hi, Emil.

Let's answer Your questions:
1-2. Not sure about format, but for now Lightfield functionality is not yet available, so these might change with time as VR field evolves pretty fast. As You might guess, there isn't any documentations for that as well.
3. Regarding to OctaneVR, it regular version OctaneRender with two main limitations: maximum amount of GPUs is only two & You do not have network rendering capability for now. Another thing is the way You pay for this, as it's subscription based service. Last but not least You can not use ofline licence so make sure You have internet all the time.
4. As for 360 & stero output, You can render those in Standalone, octaneVR & plugins. I'll post link to documentation a bit later on a separate reply post =)

Let us know if You would have any other question.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 am

bepeg4d Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 am
Hi emil.klingberg,
here a link about Cube Map VR rendering in 3dsMax-Octane:
Rendering for VR
But since the demo has a resolution limit, so you cannot test it directly, I guess.
You need at least OctaneVR with subscription licence to test the VR capabilities.
OctaneVR was borned as free version with few limitations (max 2xGPU, no net rendering, always online) for artists that have partecipated to the Metaverse Competition some time ago.
Then has been transformed into the Subscription version, that has the same features of the regular version, but with the above limitations.
About Lightfield rendering, it will firstly come with the Unity integration, please have a look at this video about this argument:
https://youtu.be/n9oILsWlW1U
Happy VR rendering,
ciao beppe
Last edited by abreukers on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated url link to docs from https://docs.otoy.com/3DSMaxH/3DSMaxPluginManual.htm#3DSMax/RenderingforVR.htm to https://docs.otoy.com/3DSMaxH/3DSMaxPluginManual.htm#3DSMax/RenderingforVR.htm
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby emil.klingberg » Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 pm

emil.klingberg Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 pm
Ok, thank you guys, i have really been nerding out on the subject of light fields over the weekend, Even managed to make my own, with just making an array of cameras and rendering each one once. However i still don't have any way of viewing my light field in VR.

Im wondering if this ORBX viewer can view light fields, or even just stereo 360 photos, and where in the world can i get it, been searching day and night for a windows version, would be great if you could point me in the right direction to the ORBX viewer
emil.klingberg

Postby noisyboyuk » Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm

noisyboyuk Tue May 23, 2017 2:31 pm
As for the format, when I asked Jules about the future of Lightfield, in response to a question I asked about the Facebook / Otoy volumetric 360 cameras, he said that the light field would be ORBX (if I remember correctly).

I'm in the same boat as you though... I keep reading all this awesome stuff about Lightfield and I want to get ahead of the game and start creating stuff but alas, as you have found I have no way of even knowing where to start.

Ultimately, I want to create a photo-real 3D scene, then export it out of C4D and somehow view it on my Vive (I was hoping with Unreal but as Bepe said this will be with Unity by the looks of it).

I'm really hoping that more info will be shared soon as I'm dying to try it out :)

In the meantime I'll keep checking back and hoping to see more! It would be awesome if the forum admins could start a new Lightfield thread so we can keep track of any progress! Just food for thought :)

Cheers!

-KW-
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue May 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Goldorak Tue May 23, 2017 4:17 pm
noisyboyuk wrote:As for the format, when I asked Jules about the future of Lightfield, in response to a question I asked about the Facebook / Otoy volumetric 360 cameras, he said that the light field would be ORBX (if I remember correctly).

I'm in the same boat as you though... I keep reading all this awesome stuff about Lightfield and I want to get ahead of the game and start creating stuff but alas, as you have found I have no way of even knowing where to start.

Ultimately, I want to create a photo-real 3D scene, then export it out of C4D and somehow view it on my Vive (I was hoping with Unreal but as Bepe said this will be with Unity by the looks of it).

I'm really hoping that more info will be shared soon as I'm dying to try it out :)

In the meantime I'll keep checking back and hoping to see more! It would be awesome if the forum admins could start a new Lightfield thread so we can keep track of any progress! Just food for thought :)

Cheers!

-KW-

Hi all,

Cinematic VR formats are already well supported in Octane for 360 3D output. Octane Stereo cube maps - co-developed by us and Carmack back in 2015 for RTM and the launch of OctaneVR- still represents the higest quality VR output on mobile HMDs in 3DOF. We extended this a while back to support 18k60 SCM video (compressed for free on ORC) as an ORBX media file which can play back from public URL links in Samsung Internet with full performance, with other WebVR browser support coming soon.

For PC VR and next gen mobile VR/AR with position tracking, we are partnering again with FB to support these platforms with larger, but downloadable, 6DOF volumetric video packaged in an ORBX media file. This ORBX format, if rendered and packaged through the new 6DOF VR render job node (being tested internally using newer 3.07 job node API), will have enough info to support 8D light field surface synthesis when viewed on Rift/Vide etc.

Simple linear 6DOF+ ORBX playback from a URL browser link will be enabled through ORBX media service (install.otoy.com) sometime after 3.07 + VR render job node is done.

For complex interactivity and game engine mechanics in ORBX, or access to light field baking and cloud streaming services, the forthcoming Unity 2017 release (with Octane built-in to Unity Edtior) is the right place to get started. Octane for UE4 is also under active development, but too early to share an ETA on a release.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby noisyboyuk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 pm

noisyboyuk Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 pm
Goldorak wrote:Hi all,

Cinematic VR formats are already well supported in Octane for 360 3D output. Octane Stereo cube maps - co-developed by us and Carmack back in 2015 for RTM and the launch of OctaneVR- still represents the higest quality VR output on mobile HMDs in 3DOF. We extended this a while back to support 18k60 SCM video (compressed for free on ORC) as an ORBX media file which can play back from public URL links in Samsung Internet with full performance, with other WebVR browser support coming soon.

For PC VR and next gen mobile VR/AR with position tracking, we are partnering again with FB to support these platforms with larger, but downloadable, 6DOF volumetric video packaged in an ORBX media file. This ORBX format, if rendered and packaged through the new 6DOF VR render job node (being tested internally using newer 3.07 job node API), will have enough info to support 8D light field surface synthesis when viewed on Rift/Vide etc.

Simple linear 6DOF+ ORBX playback from a URL browser link will be enabled through ORBX media service (install.otoy.com) sometime after 3.07 + VR render job node is done.

For complex interactivity and game engine mechanics in ORBX, or access to light field baking and cloud streaming services, the forthcoming Unity 2017 release (with Octane built-in to Unity Edtior) is the right place to get started. Octane for UE4 is also under active development, but too early to share an ETA on a release.

Amazing!

Thanks for this update! Starting to understand it slightly better with these little tidbits of information! Really excited for 3.07!

-KW-
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby byMELT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:55 pm

byMELT Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:55 pm

How can we render and play the 18k60 SCM video?
byMELT
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Goldorak Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 pm
byMELT wrote:

How can we render and play the 18k60 SCM video?

You can render 18K video (Carmack Stereo cube map) in any Octane plug-in or standalone, as well as the free version of Octane in Unity. Compressing these frames for the Gear VR is longer than rendring. But it is free on ORC while rendering the data (mainly built this into ORC service for Oculus/FB publishing to 3DOF VR just like we are doing for FB 6DOF camera publishing soon ). Playing back thee compressed ORBX folder in from ORBX media folder is possible up to a 6 seconds at full speed and scrubbing, and if the ORBX is on a URL you can also load it from Samsung Internet browser and soon other WebVR browsers.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby byMELT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm

byMELT Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm
Goldorak wrote:You can render 18K video (Carmack Stereo cube map) in any Octane plug-in or standalone, as well as the free version of Octane in Unity. Compressing these frames for the Gear VR is longer than rendring. But it is free on ORC while rendering the data (mainly built this into ORC service for Oculus/FB publishing to 3DOF VR just like we are doing for FB 6DOF camera publishing soon ). Playing back thee compressed ORBX folder in from ORBX media folder is possible up to a 6 seconds at full speed and scrubbing, and if the ORBX is on a URL you can also load it from Samsung Internet browser and soon other WebVR browsers.

Thanks!

So if I render out the frames in Octane & C4D I should look into ORC to merge them to ORBX?

Is it possible to watch it longer than 6sec in full speed if it's 30fps?
byMELT
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion