[Help Request] OMP video functionality

Forums: [Help Request] OMP video functionality
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

[Help Request] OMP video functionality

Postby RGARawle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm

RGARawle Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 pm
Can anyone help answer some questions about OMP's video functionality? I've tried a number of ways to find these answers myself, but with very, very limited success. If anyone has experience creating orbx scenes with video, I would really appreciate any advice or hints that you can to offer.

Specifically, I would like to know:

- What is the process within the Octane standalone for adding video overlays to scenes?
    - Can video overlays be positioned, or do they appear only in predefined spots.
    - Is there a way to use a video (streaming or local) as an animated texture?
    - Are there documentation notes or example files that explain/illustrate the process of adding video to orbx scenes?

Again, any kind of advice or hugely helpful. Anything that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
RGARawle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: [Help Request] OMP video functionality

Postby Goldorak » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 am

Goldorak Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 am
We're working on supporting OMP fully through a new script render job node (which is itself a script node) that will be turned on by or before 3.1. That is going to be the officially supported path once it is out, and will expose all you are asking about and more.

In the meantime, if you just want to play back .mp4 video layers over a stereo cube map BG, I think there is some sample lua/JSON template code on the forums that can get you started. The ORBX Media render job node will generate correct JSON+lua as part of the render job. This will cover adding in audio, video layers, glTF (exported from mesh nodes) and other elements to be bundled and played back in the ORBX media package export.

As shown here, we are working on supporting more than just MP4 files (e.g webVR, Unity games) inside ORBX media layers:

https://youtu.be/RE9GwyzL9MU?t=103

In the next update you'll be able to launch an ORBX URL from within the Samsung Internet Browser, and no longer need a native app (e.g. whitelisting OMP) or even the ORBX media folder sideloading system to deploy your ORBX to Gear VR (and soon Daydream/Tango -and PC WebVR).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby RGARawle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 pm

RGARawle Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 pm
Goldorak wrote:We're working on supporting OMP fully through a new script render job node (which is itself a script node) that will be turned on by or before 3.1. That is going to be the officially supported path once it is out, and will expose all you are asking about and more.

In the meantime, if you just want to play back .mp4 video layers over a stereo cube map BG, I think there is some sample lua/JSON template code on the forums that can get you started. The ORBX Media render job node will generate correct JSON+lua as part of the render job. This will cover adding in audio, video layers, glTF (exported from mesh nodes) and other elements to be bundled and played back in the ORBX media package export.

As shown here, we are working on supporting more than just MP4 files (e.g webVR, Unity games) inside ORBX media layers:

https://youtu.be/RE9GwyzL9MU?t=103

In the next update you'll be able to launch an ORBX URL from within the Samsung Internet Browser, and no longer need a native app (e.g. whitelisting OMP) or even the ORBX media folder sideloading system to deploy your ORBX to Gear VR (and soon Daydream/Tango -and PC WebVR).

Thanks Goldorak,

I have been able to successfully test the .mp4 video layer over a stereo cube map, but it is not what I need unfortunately. It sounds like the 3.1 update should provide the features that I am hoping for, so I will keep an eye out for that.

I appreciate the update.
RGARawle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jasonr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Jasonr Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:22 pm
This is really interesting info.
I would really appreciate if you could describe the process of adding a loopable mp4
on a Tv screen object for example as a texture.

I am exporting orbx from archicad to standalone to create cubemaps.
Everything works perfect.
What is needed to make a texture show as mp4 in a cubemap?

Thank you for your support.
ASUS Z10 PE-D8 WS/2 x XEON E5-2680 V4/64GB RAM/1xQuadro M5000/2x NVIDIA GTX TITAN Pascal/ Windows 10/ Archicad 20
Jasonr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion