HTC vive - how is your experience?

Forums: HTC vive - how is your experience?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

HTC vive - how is your experience?

Postby v-cube » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 pm

v-cube Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 pm
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a HTC vive, I am currently working with samsung Gear VRs, but am a bit unhappy about the user portal to access the VR tour... Can someone tell me how the htc compares to the gear VR? I read that the resolution is a bit less, is this noticeable? How do you access the VR panoramas , is it like the oculus home app on the galaxy / gear vr?

Is it yet possible to create a linked VR tour like on the samsung Gear VR?

or are there any other alternatives we could use right now, which provide the same quality?

curious

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: HTC vive - how is your experience?

Postby linney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 am

linney Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 am
We use a Vive for various projects here and, given the choice, I'd probably never come out of it :-)

The experience is completely different though. The immersive experience in the Vive (and now the Occulus Touch) is so much more vivid compared to the Gear VR.

I think you can still put 360 videos in there, but you can do so much more with it!

Gaz
i-7 3.1GHz, win 7 64-bit, 64GB RAM, 2 x GTX1080 AMP ed
Octane v3.05
C4D R18
linney
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 pm

v-cube Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:59 pm
linney wrote:We use a Vive for various projects here and, given the choice, I'd probably never come out of it :-)

The experience is completely different though. The immersive experience in the Vive (and now the Occulus Touch) is so much more vivid compared to the Gear VR.

I think you can still put 360 videos in there, but you can do so much more with it!

Gaz

Hello Gaz,

thank you for your input, when you write more vivid, are you refering to full enabled 3d scenes with baked lightmaps? For know this would not be an option for me since doing this is way to time intensive / complicated.
I would be interested in the quality of stereoscopic cube mapped 360 deg. environments ... Is this better than with the Gear VR?

best

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JonathanWinbush » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 pm

JonathanWinbush Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 pm
I use have the Vive, Gear VR and Oculus CV1 and my choice of them all is the Vive. I bought a VR ready laptop last year to take the vive on the road to take to meetings even though the setup can take a bit longer since you have to post up the light houses but I actually think the Vive looks the more clear of them all. I'm not doing any interactive work yet just all 360VR stuff and there are a bunch of players that'll play your 360 videos in the Vive. I've been using the GoPro VR app since its been allowing me to playback 4k at 60fps no hiccups but the Vive has its own 306 player now that just came out. If you have a Microsoft store near you I'd say stop by and do their demo they have them setup in their stores to test out.
Winbush.tv

Win10x64 / i7 SkyLake / Nvidia Titan X + 980ti / 32gigs Ram
JonathanWinbush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion