which graphic card ?

Forums: which graphic card ?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

which graphic card ?

Postby drigogers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:18 am

drigogers Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:18 am
Hey Mates, how is going ?

I have this machine :

MacOs Sierra version 10.12
imac retina 5k 27 inch late 2015
4gh intel core i7
memory: 32 gb 1867 mhz ddr3
Startup disk Macintosh HD
graphics : AMD Radeon R9 M395x 4096 mb

So I work with C4D and i need to use the Octane render.
And i need to buy a graphic card, but the card list that has here in Otoy website looks like old because many graphic cards doesn't have any more, i need to now about new graphic cards

Anyone knows what's the best graphic card for me to use Octane render that works on mac system ?

Many thanks guys
drigogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: which graphic card ?

Postby glimpse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 am

glimpse Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 am
hi there.

OTOY has a tool called OctaneBench, that You can find following this link. However what card fits Your needs depends more on Your needs.

I would avoid Pascal cards for now still, as support (drivers from nvidia side) for those are coming late (not sure if they re already out, but last time I checked those cards like 1080, 1070 & new TitanX was not supported).

So if I were You I would look for something like 980TI or older, Maxwell based TitanX (this card is a bit more boxy, while new TitanX has more triangulated looks). TitanX in mac connected via thunderbolt based expansion unit would give You somewhere around 120 in Octanbench & 980Ti would come somewhere around that. The biggest difference between those cards is the amount of vram, one has 12 while other has only 6GB..the rest is more or less the same as those are based on the same gm200 chip & more or less the same PCB layout.

You might be able to find 980Ti on some etailers, but harder with TitanX. IN this case I would recomend to look for second hand card from some reputable seller. Avoid too good price, TitanX should be between 600-1000$ if used.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion