Buying a new PC for Octane

Forums: Buying a new PC for Octane
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Buying a new PC for Octane

Postby Lobo3d » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:57 am

Lobo3d Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:57 am
Hi,
I'm about to buy a new PC for Cinema 4D+Octane, probably an i7 8core and 4x1080, and I have a few questions. Since I come from Mac I don't have any experience putting together this kind of monsters I was thinking to buy something like a BOXX Apexx4 http://www.boxx.com/products/workstations/apexx-4

Does anyone have any experience with them?
Since the 1080ti is very close to be released (probably January), does that mean the current 1080 will be cheaper?
Does anyone know where to buy one of this machines in Melbourne? (similar set up Apexx4 made locally )

Thanks!
Lobo3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Buying a new PC for Octane

Postby glimpse » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:04 pm

glimpse Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:04 pm
Hi there!

First let me say, that sorry, I do not have an idea where to get Boxx around, but I can try to tell why that might be a bad idea overall.

You're on the other side of world & picking up usa product might cause You prety high overhead, not to mention, that if You would have to ship the box it would take weeks to bring it back. If You absolutelly do not want to learn anything about hardware, try to find some of the bigest spots around that sell hardware & ask them to build system based on Your needs.

Alternatively, if You have some funds for serious tools, 'cos that would cost You. Get in touch with guy over Youtube that is running Singularity Computer channel & ask him to build You system not for bling, but for work.

He's an expert on watercoolinh, lives not so far around & should be able to give You system that would easily be on par or even better than Boxx =) if You need help to choose base components & plan Your build based on Your needs - drop a line bellow & we'll help You out! Feel free to ask any question =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lobo3d » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 am

Lobo3d Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 am
Upps! sorry for the late response Tom.
Thanks so much for the info, I've just checked Singularity Computer and looks very professional.
Even though I've got budget for it, I'm not sure if I should go for water cooling as I could put more money into GPUs. What would be the biggest drawback with 4GPU 1080 not water cooled? Noise? performance?
If its really worth it I could get two water cooled TItan X Pascal, having the possibility to get another two down the track. Since the system would be water cooled, will I have to send the system back to the store to install the two cards?

This is the system that I've been offered here in Melbourne (no water cooling)

Intel Core i7 6900K Broadwell-E 3.2GHz 20MB No HSF Retail Box
Corsair Hydro Series H60 SE CPU Cooler
ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 LGA2011-3 Workstation Motherboard
RAM: Kingston 32GB DDR4 ValueRAM C17 2400MHz
STORAGE: Samsung 850 Pro Series 2.5” 512GB SSD
2ND_STORAGE: WD RE WD2004FBYZ 3.5” 2TB 128MB 7200RPM Datacentre HDD
GPU: Galax GeForce GTX1080 EXOC 8GB GDDR5X DVI HDMI 3xDisplayPort
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D Black Full Tower Case w/Side Panel Window
PSU: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80PLUS Titanium Modular Power Supply

Thanks Tom!
Lobo3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lobo3d » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Lobo3d Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 pm
Uppps! sorry for the late response Tom,
Thanks so much for your help. Just checked Singularity Computer and looks pretty awesome . A bit over my budget but I reckon that might be worth to go for a custom loop in order to avoid noise and keep up the GPUs performance. My idea was to get 4x1080 GPUs, but maybe I get two Titans X to start off, and then get another two down the track. If I go to water cooling, does that mean that I'll have to send the machine back to the store in order to install properly the extra two GPU on the water loop?

This is the rig I've come up for an air cooling system after doing some research, please let me know what you think and if you think the GPUs will suffer from overheating.

Intel Core i7 6900K Broadwell-E 3.2GHz 20MB
CPU Water cooling Corsair h100
ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 LGA2011-3 Workstation Motherboard
RAM: Kingston 64GB DDR4 ValueRAM C17 2400MHz
STORAGE: Samsung 850 Pro Series 2.5” 512GB SSD
2ND_STORAGE: WD RE WD2004FBYZ 3.5” 4TB 128MB 7200RPM Datacentre HDD
GPU: 4x Galax GeForce GTX1080 EXOC 8GB GDDR5X DVI HDMI 4xDisplayPort
CASE: Thermaltake Core X9
PSU: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80PLUS Titanium Modular Power Supply

Thanks again for your help!
Lobo3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bahgoogen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 am

bahgoogen Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 am
How did you go with the build? finalised yet?
I'm from Melbourne myself and in the same position as you. Switching from Mac to PC and wanting to build a monster and get it done right the first time.

I've done a truck-load of research and feel i could be pretty confident in building one myself, but its just finalising the parts that's the issue.

I was thinking the 6900K myself, with possibly 2 titans to begin with, and see what comes out in March in regards to 1080Ti's etc.

Did you end up going the water-cooled option?
bahgoogen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion